Nier 'Song of the Ancients' (w/ Sabrina's vocals) + Zelda OoT: Gerudo Valley + Video

DjMystix

This is my first remix featuring vocals. Song of the ancients can't be remixed without those beautiful vocals. Sabrina (OCR new comer) will be providing her beautiful voice for this mix, once it is ready.

The song has been converted to 4/4 beats and the style is (super) chillout. Right now, you'll have to bear with my crappy vocals until the mix is done and sung by Sabrina. Here's the basic idea:

Youtube:

2011-10-25: Finished track (w/ Sabrina's Vocals)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/Nier_AncientDreams.mp3

2011-10-02 [Ancient Dreams - Instrumental (Finished)]:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/Nier_AncientDreams_ins.mp3

2011-09-26 [WIP1 - Sabrina's Vocals]:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/nier_wip01.mp3

Just need to collect some suggestions on the direction because I will not be able to change it later on, once I have the entire structure laid out. I will be using Gerudo Valley between the vocal breaks.

sources:

Nier - Song of the Ancients:

OoT - Gerudo Valley:

Also, to get to know Sabrina:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SabrinaValenzuela#p/u/27/DSafh2bhfgU

http://www.youtube.com/user/SabrinaValenzuela#p/u/10/UoAcuoPWypc

I think the direction in which you are taking this is correct/appropriate. If you can implement the melodies together and have them working alongside each other then it'll be fantastic.

Its difficult to suggest a direction as only you can really work that out, but what I will say is that I think with the vocals in there, it will take on its own direction to a certain extent. It'll be a nice chilled out song. It might be important that the accompaniment keeps as chilled all the way through. An instrumental bridge might be nice but I don't know if there is anything more that can be suggested.

You're on the right lines considering the sources and once you have a draft structure yourself, it might be easier to see yourself or suggest as to whether it'll work (though I really think it will regardless) :smile:

Please do not mashup Nier with Gerudo. Nier has an amazing soundtrack that can more than stand on its own, and gerudo has been done a time or two before. :-x

Having said that, the vocal line at 0:57 is the only bit recognizable from the source.. I know that would probably be enough for ocr in the end but as someone who really loves this soundtrack, it'd be cool if you could work in more connections to the source. :-o (Ed. - maybe draw some elements from the

, as it is the same song but arranged with more electronic instrumentation)

Over 2 minutes and you didn't even hit the chorus hahah.. nice work :-D

Please do not mashup Nier with Gerudo. Nier has an amazing soundtrack that can more than stand on its own, and gerudo has been done a time or two before. :-x

Agree that Nier has an outstanding ost. If the mashup doesn't sound right, I'll get rid of it rest assured :) I have this "habit" of blending multiple sources into one track and want to see how these two different tracks sound together :D

Having said that, the vocal line at 0:57 is the only bit recognizable from the source.. I know that would probably be enough for ocr in the end but as someone who really loves this soundtrack, it'd be cool if you could work in more connections to the source. :-o

strange!? Other than the original piano intro piece, I didn't change a single note/word other than converting it to a 4/4 beat. Even the chord patterns are the same. It's the exact same song :o Also, I am going to cover the entire source (lyrics), if you mean most of the source is missing from this concept.

Over 2 minutes and you didn't even hit the chorus hahah.. nice work :-D

Don't worry, I put my crap vocals only to give the idea of my direction to you guys. Once I have the vocals from Sabrina, I'll arrange the chorus etc. btw, I'm planning to make this around 5 minute mark; and thanks!

Also, Lidawg, thanks for the comments dude. I actually meant to get a feedback on the direction I took (kinda messed up some words over there) :D

Also, Lidawg, thanks for the comments dude. I actually meant to get a feedback on the direction I took (kinda messed up some words over there) :D

Haha, ok bud. I will say though that even though Gerudo has been done a few times on OCR, mashing it up like this will keep it fresh. I'm looking forward to seeing it once Sabrina's vocals are in there,not that yours aren't hauntingly beautiful ;)

Awesome! I ReMixed this myself (not very well) last year for FBRC (I think Brandon Strader requested it, too) but I'm liking the direction you're taking it in. When I got the request, I was happy because I fell in love with the source tune but I'm glad that someone is finally giving it the justice it deserves. Can't wait to hear your progress and Sabrina's vocals.

Wish I could offer something constructive to say but I already tried my hand at this source and failed so I'm just excited to listen!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the support guys! I finally got Sabrina to provide some (rough) vocals for the the track. Here's the updated track with her vocals:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/nier_wip01.mp3

Here's her original voice (with no vox effects just to show how beautiful her voice is):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/nier_wip0.mp3

Please note that all vox effects (including harmony) is digitally created and not refined yet. The track is still in its conceptual stage. As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated :D

It is indeed beautiful as I knew it would be. I'm not gonna lie, though, I prefer the non-processed vocals. They fit better and don't get blurred with the accompaniment like with the processed version.

I know its a WIP so you will be doing more to this, but I just reckon you should be very subtle with the effects on her voice. The intonation also sounds more accurate without the processing.

So yeah, in a nutshell: I love the atomosphere and arrangement but I think you need to just be careful with how you process the vocals.

It is indeed beautiful as I knew it would be. I'm not gonna lie, though, I prefer the non-processed vocals. They fit better and don't get blurred with the accompaniment like with the processed version.

I know its a WIP so you will be doing more to this, but I just reckon you should be very subtle with the effects on her voice. The intonation also sounds more accurate without the processing.

So yeah, in a nutshell: I love the atomosphere and arrangement but I think you need to just be careful with how you process the vocals.

You know what, there is a reason I came back to my post and put the un-porcessed version there :) While agreeing with you, let me tell you that I didn't even try to make the harmony effects better. I was just experimenting with the vocals (Now I think I shouldn't have put it here).

Don't worry, I'm taking it very, very seriously. It's her debut track on OCR after all so I'm not going to take any risks. The harmony effects will be very minimal and "subtle" :D as always, thank you for your input!

I was just experimenting with the vocals

Don't worry, I'm taking it very, very seriously. It's her debut track on OCR after all so I'm not going to take any risks. The harmony effects will be very minimal and "subtle" :D as always, thank you for your input!

I know dude, I can see that this will be amazing :)!! Its always good to experiment with stuff

I'm excited for the next update :D

Not trying to sound mean or nothin' but the vocals are kinda plain and don't seem very confident.. the volume ducks out when notes are not sung as confidently. And there's no vibrato. Could be a moar emotive performance methinks. :-o

Please note that this track is currently at a conceptual level and her vocals are here just to give basic idea (you can call them 'draft' vocals). The final version will have everything re-recorded.

Having said that, the original is also very plain in terms of vocals with not many variations. Also, I am already very happy with her 'draft' vocals so really excited to hear what the actual recording will sound like. The atmosphere of this track totally suits Sabrina's voice :D

Please note that this track is currently at a conceptual level and her vocals are here just to give basic idea (you can call them 'draft' vocals). The final version will have everything re-recorded.

Having said that, the original is also very plain in terms of vocals with not many variations. Also, I am already very happy with her 'draft' vocals so really excited to hear what the actual recording will sound like. The atmosphere of this track totally suits Sabrina's voice :D

Hehe, I second what DjMystix wrote. :-)

Phew! It's finally done. 06 minutes 11 seconds long; I've never worked so hard on a song before (sooo tired). Writing string layers is really tough. Gerudo Valley makes it to the mix (with a bit of improvised melody). The ending will use lyrics from source but has original melody written. Here's the instrumental version until Sabrina puts in her vocals:

Ancient Dreams (Instrumental):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/Nier_AncientDreams_ins.mp3

Hope you you guys like it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Once Sabi's vocals are in, this track will go through one last round of mixing :D

In case you don't want to go through the whole thread, here's how the vocals are going to sound like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/nier_wip0.mp3

• 2 weeks later...
This is really good stuff bud. I've had such a stressful weekend and your mix has soothed my soul =) Your hard work shines through on this and once Sabrina's vocals are added, it'll be the cherry on top!

Oh, and a warm welcome to the forums Sabrina!

Oh I feel bad! My reply is soo late! Thank you for the warm welcome Lidawg! :) I'm finally free to record again! So the final vocals will be on their way very soon, yay!

• 2 weeks later...

phew! (x100). The track is finally finished! Can't explain how much tweaking work I have done in last 2 days. Personally, I love Sabrina's vocals here. Not sure if there is anything left that I can do to make it sound any better but let's see if someone can spot anything I've overlooked :D

btw, some original stuff written for ending! why? Because I hate fade-out endings :)

'Ancient Dreams' [Finished]:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/Nier_AncientDreams.mp3

As always, all feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, a big thank you for all the lovely feedback so far!

Time to work on the video. :)