Remixer name - Phonetic Hero

Real name - Pete Lepley

Email adress -

User ID - 44763

Submission Info:

Name of game - Mega Man 8

Name of arrangement - Jump, Slide, Die

Composer - Shusaku Uchiyama

Source names (and links) - Wily Tower Stage 1, Wily Tower Stage 2, Grenade Man, Title Theme

Other:

ARE MY 3 WEEKS UP YET?! :) Mega Man 8 was one of the games I grew up on, so it holds a special place somewhere on my person. Especially that F#&$ING Wily 1.. I first played the game when I was probably 6 or 7, didn't get past that stage till I was probably 14 (which is reflected by the title...). Anyway, I wanted to try out a couple of things to expand my style: adding in chip elements, and dnb drum sequencing. Neither one really went as planned, since I couldn't find any free chiptunes downloads, except for some drum samples, and the dnb isn't really dnb; there's still my strange, wickedly syncopated (that's what drumline'll do to ya) sequencing style in there. The result of things "not really going as planned" is this mix, and I can't say I'm too upset with that. I also tried expanding the soundscape a little more than what I'm used to, and there's some stupid-beefy segments in there that I think you guys will enjoy. This also marks my first real synth solo. Again, a huge shout-out to the WIP forum for all the encouragement and suggests, the piece wouldn't even be close to what it is without them. Time to work on album stuff, it might be 6 WEEKS before you hear from me this time ;) -pH

--------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXt_nSdGe0A&feature=player_embedded - Title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3KiM0QiMK4&feature=player_embedded - Grenade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkNlNFTjhF4&feature=player_embedded - Wily 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrAVfupdzJM&feature=player_embedded - Wily 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty great arrangement; and a pretty decent combination of all the sources. The beatrs are solid, and the synths are well meshed, though some parts feel a little thin. It's generally in the breakdown sections, and it may just be because the drum samples are hitting so hard, that when the rest of the track doesn't bring the same intensity, it feels a little off.

The expansion is excellent, and the synth solo is very cool. The climax of the song is awesome, and the following breakdown works very well.

Overall there a few rough spots that could use some less intense drums to help balance it, but as a whole, this is definitely passable.

Yes

Really dig the sounds. Tense intro. I used to play this game a lot, but I don't recognize the source. As the track goes on, it's clear to me that the strength is in its aesthetic, and the weakness is the composition/arrangement. The writing here is really not much better than straightforward. I feel like the track is composed of this dirty groove with whatever melody over it you happen to be up to, with some cool LFO effects in between. There's really no direction to speak of.

Nice spatial stuff, good sound design and groove, but the composition is lacking.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to disagree with Jesse on this one. I think there are times where the melody is pretty straight-forward, and I do think that's something that Pete can work on in the future, but the background and counter melodies are very well done and unique. I think they make up for any source-arrangement issues, and overall this is an enjoyable track to listen to. Not a fan of the voice clips at the end, but it's no dealbreaker.

YES

• 1 month later...

I'm actually on Jesse's side with this vote - this arrangement feels pretty long and, while I can see how the spastic structure might work with the genre you've chosen, but I'm personally not sold on it. It's pretty far off the rails, and honestly I think this bites off a bit more than it can chew. You're juggling so many different melodies, synths, and sounds that I'm having a difficult time focusing.

The synth lead that you use at :43 and then later in the song is really a weak choice too, in my opinion. It's very static and unexpressive and just doesn't seem like an adequate sound to carry a melody. The same can apply to a couple of other synth sounds here, honestly, and for me THAT'S the dealbreaker that pushes me over the edge.

I could live with the arrangement if your sound choices were more engaging, but those two issues compound even though one or the other would not have been a critical problem. This is a pretty close decision though and I have no issue with the YES votes at all here and wouldn't be all that upset if it ended up passing, but for me I fall just on the other side of the line. I think this has more than enough merit to warrant some further tweaking/adjustments. Good luck with the rest of the vote!

NO (resubmit!)

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the comments, I felt like it was worth listening to the song before the sources to get a sense if I felt like the track had a cohesive feel. I didn't think it did, I didn't get a good sense of direction from this. There's a lot of jumps (ha) in the flow. In addition, I thought the mixing was very unpolished. Some of the instruments are quite dry (and a lot of the sounds are plain), while the drums are really treated with 'verb. Sometimes the volume jumps one way or the other, from section to section. I can sum up the whole track by saying I felt like it was made quickly, without a lot of attention to making things go smoothly. Sure, there's some cool stuff going on, but this needs to cook longer.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...
After reading the comments, I felt like it was worth listening to the song before the sources to get a sense if I felt like the track had a cohesive feel. I didn't think it did, I didn't get a good sense of direction from this. There's a lot of jumps (ha) in the flow. In addition, I thought the mixing was very unpolished. Some of the instruments are quite dry (and a lot of the sounds are plain), while the drums are really treated with 'verb. Sometimes the volume jumps one way or the other, from section to section. I can sum up the whole track by saying I felt like it was made quickly, without a lot of attention to making things go smoothly. Sure, there's some cool stuff going on, but this needs to cook longer.

gotta pretty much ditto this vote. I actually might go as far as to say the mixing was more problematic than the spastic arrangement, for me. personally I'd say to let this one be and move on, as it might require quite a bit of work on both the arrangement & production in order to get enough J's on board to pass this. of course, I'm not trying to discourage a resub, this song definitely shows some chops, but I think that time would be better applied working on new stuff.

NO

Ditto #2. Next-to-no polish, which definitely hurt this one. Vig's high for saying the sound design was good. :-/

Pretty vanilla synths starting at :43, with the textures feeling pretty flimsy. There were some delay effects at 1:10 that at least thickened up the drums a little, but the drum sample was skimpy and extremely fake sounding, and the overall textures were pretty flimsy. There's a ton of empty space in this soundscape, and the basic/beginner-level effects employed don't do nearly enough to produce a cohesive full sound.

The arrangement seemed disjointed, but I felt the lack of balance with the sounds created that perception more than the actual composition. Not enough care or expertise put into this one on the production side.

NO