*NO* Faxanadu 'In the Shadow of the Evil One'

djpretzel

Hello folks at ocremix.org!

I have worked hard on a remix that I hoped would make it onto your site.

My Remixer Name: ghbarratt

My Real Name: Glen H. Barratt

My Website: www.ghbarratt.com

My userid: ghbarratt

Name of game ReMixed: Faxanadu

Name of individual song ReMixed: Dartmoor

Game has already been added to the site.

Original soundtrack has already been added to the site.

Comments:

I have wanted to make a contribution to OC ReMix for a while. I have been listening to McVaffe and other's oc remix music for almost a year now. I have Faxanadu and have played it since a kid. I think it is a very interesting and mysterious game that is relatively unknown. There is only one song from this game on OC ReMix currently. The remix I am submitting is from the last area, it is meant to reflect some of the emotion one feels as they enter this part of the game. My wife helped me a little with the reproduction of the original tune. I used MadTracker 2 Pro to create it. The samples came from either my wife's Yamaha PSR 275 or a collection of samples on CD I purchased off eBay. I think I have created a very different piece of music here. I am sure you will enjoy it and I am certain it is good enough for OC ReMix's collection. But that is for you to decide. Any suggestions are welcome! I have seen others toss out the judges' advice simply because there remix made it in ... I will would like to do a final revision after getting the judges feedback before submitting a final version. Well, whatever happens, I think you are in for a different and comprehensive piece of music.

I am excited to see if it makes it into your collection!

Glen

www.ghbarratt.com

www.powersketchdesign.com

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/faxanadu.zip - Track 10

As soon as the track started out so muffled and washed out, I had to switch to another track to make sure my headphones weren't broken. Production needs to be sharpened up substantially.

I loved the source tune after hearing it in zykO's "Sketch of a Potentially Contrived Memory" last year, and this track had a good spooky atmosphere to it, but it was a pretty plain arrangement relatively speaking. It could function in an expansive sense if there was more to it.

It sounded as if there weren't very many sounds playing at the same time and that the airy stuff in the back was filling out most of the soundfield, otherwise this would have been pretty barren. The last section from 3:40 until the end was a very boring and possibly lazy way to end the track. Definitely a weak close.

Keep at it, sir. Youl need work on your production and the composition in order to get things sounding both strong and interesting. Get more information from the ReMixing forum and feedback from the Work-in-Progess forum before submitting future material.

NO

Hey, I respect the effort Glen but the problems here boil down to production, arrangement and sample quality, in that order of relative importance.

From 0:21-0:25 there is significant clipping. If for some reason it was intentional, there are better, cleaner ways to achieve that distorted sound. In general the song lacks punch. The bass does little except contribute to other minor areas of clipping throughout the song and there are few dynamics to speak of. A few ideas that can create more excitement and tension in your mixes are the use of volume swells, changes in pace or the addition or more interesting, powerful instruments. The drums for example are way too quiet to be effective.

The arrangement was very close to the original and I don’t think that we hear much of your creativity shining through in this area Glen. It may have been forgiven if the production and sample selection/usage were a lot better.

Samples were pretty basic. The choir in the intro is really odd, but not in a spooky kinda way, in a general midi kinda way. The guitar wasn’t too bad and I enjoyed the sequencing of the short strings with the pitch bends from 0:57-1:22. Be sure to check out the Sample and Soundfont Request thread in the ReMixing forum while you’re over there.

Keep working at it.

NO

Those are some pretty low quality choir samples; sounds a lot like an SNES or something. As far as the arrangement is concerned, there's no energy, no depth. This feels like its going through the motions. There's a lot of clipping too.

Needs a lot of work; better samples, a more creative approach, and better mastering and balancing of elements.

NO

There's so much clipping in this mix. There's really not much I can add here that would not repeat what my fellow judges have said. Darkesword was especially to the point and cut to the meat of this issue.

Decent effort, but there's too many problems in terms of arrangement, production to pass. Keep working at it, there's a lot of nice ideas here, but the execution just isn't there. NO