What do you use to create your drum parts?

Drakken

I have an original Rock Band 1 kit; would that actually work? If so, how accurately does it record the velocity of the performance?

I wrote up something on getting the 360 RB1 drums working in Windows a while back: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31944

Velocities seem to work well, but I'm not sure how many levels there are.

I do a combo of mouse clicking and midi keyboard performing to get the drum "notes" in place, then quantize where necessary. Since I'm kinda lazy and I absolutely hate mixing, I go with EZ Drummer (Nashville EZX drum kit is the best thing ever) for most of my work since the samples come pre-mixed, pre-EQ'd, etc. They basically sound great right out of the box. That way I can concentrate on the other stuff I enjoy doing most without much hassle.

I use Superior Drummer 2.2 and the piano roll in Pro Tools ...

This might sound a little crazy but I rearranged the trigger notes of the piano roll so it's fully to my taste ... I did this in Superior Drummer by changing the trigger notes ... I used to program my drums in Guitar Pro, import them and change them around but learned to use the piano roll since I wasn't happy with my workflow!

I also have a vast catalogue of midi that certainly helps when programming :-)

I hardly use the step sequencer other than some claps and kicks. I do subtle variations in pitch with hi hats and snares on the piano roll. Most of my patterns are more complex than just 4 beats long anyways. Especially for swinging/shuffling beats, there's no way you can do that precisely playing it by key.