*NO* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Ballad of the Windfish - Movie Edition'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/zelda.zip - Track 47

The original melody with a very whiney lead and some electronic/trancy stuff pasted underneath it not even derived from the source. Looking for a bit more involvement in the arrangement than that when it comes to the supporting elements.

This at least had a slight change in dynamics at 2:28. Yep, went to a higher key at 2:46. Some layering of the melody at 3:40. Melody never changed up once.

Not bad for the undemanding Zelda fan at all, but you need a lot more here.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

A major issue is the overwhelming reverb. Everything from leads to kicks is drowned in the stuff. Rely more on dynamic contrast and bold instrument/arrangement choices to create an epic vibe rather than on a single effect.

The intro needs a lot of work as it is too sparse and not interesting enough hold the stage on its own. You might try adding some pads to smooth that section out. This would also ease us into the synth at 0:38 which is a somewhat jarring transition right now. Once things get going, don’t forget to actually remix the theme instead of simply playing it over your background stuff.

As a note, the cymbal build at 2:44 was bad. The attacks on the cymbals are way too short so it sounds very mechanical. If you can’t adjust the cymbal attacks, there are plenty of free drum kits out there that have good cymbals for that kind of effect. The cymbals in this mix are much nicer however when not completely exposed (ex. 3:38).

Good effort but plenty more work needs to be done to make this track as exciting and polished as it could be. Keep working at it.

NO

1. ow, that high pitched lead.

2. that's a whole lotta reverb, who do you think you are? graylightning?

3. effortless transitions.

there are plenty of other problems, but they've been noted and will continue to be noted until this is rejected.

no

I agree. The arrangement is ok, but it's pretty sparse most of the time. Also that high pitched lead is really too much. I wouldn't use something like that unless you have a very dense and full mix you want to cut through. Oh also, yeah I love my reverbs as analoq noted. But this is a mess. You don't flood the whole mix with a gloss of reverb. Use it on an instrument by instrument basis and use sends. Use reverb cleverly to benefit the mix, not destroy it, as is the case here.

Needs more work on a lot of areas as noted by me and prior judges. NO