*NO* Top Gear 'Moonbath'

djpretzel

This is my first attempt at a remix that may be worth your while, in other words, it's the first one that I don' think is terrible. I submitted this earlier but it didn't make it to the judges, good thing too because back then it sounded really (for lack of a better term) cruddy; improperly panned, poorly mixed, and the worst drum patch you've ever heard. Here's a direct link to the mp3 but it may not work, if it doesn't, use the second link, scroll down the page and download "Moonbath". Thanks for your time and enjoy.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/tg.rsn - "Title" (tg-1.spc), "Bordeaux" (tg-4.spc) & "Las Vegas" (tg-2.spc)

The arrangement was too conservative for me overall, so make it more interpretive and less sickly with medley-itis. Anyway, we're gonna gloss over that and just assess the presentation.

Not a bad electric guitar vibe going on here for the first 23 seconds, but the generic, tepid sounds came in soon enough I'm afraid. Oooh, whatever quasi-bass synth that was at :56 really hurt the piece, and when the guitar attempted to do some involved licks, it just sounded very fake on account of it being drowned out.

The levels were all over the place at 1:59, but at least the track was louder as a whole. Oy, just some ugly sounds here; the hats were way too loud, there's no solid background instrumentation, and the guitar sounded bad. Decent SFX usage at 2:28 with the car crash though.

We aimed to get more intense with "Bordeaux" at 2:37, but the execution was so quiet and weak the whole way through. At least the arrangement was a bit riskier. Bah, again with those crazy hi-hats. Then at 3:10, the drums were way louder & cleaner than the guitar; again the sound balance among your instruments makes no sense. Same with 4:12, what are you doing there?

Decent stuff with "Las Vegas" starting at 4:24, but that was partially my love for the theme. The claps in there were so out of place. I liked the guitar there though; it had its genuinely promising moments with that coverage. Considering how bad it was for "Bordeaux", that's saying something.

Man, with the guitar being real, you could have fooled me with how poorly this was put together. Head over to the ReMixing & WIP forums and get some serious help dissecting this one.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

ugh. the drums are awful.

the guitar playing is very weak considering the other stuff on your site. either way, the fact that this arrangement doesn't go anywhere doesn't help your cause

you still have good fingers and i can tell but your arrangement lacks across the board. the way you chain the sections doesn't bother me as much as the total lack of coherence between each section.

and then there's the drums. i don't even know where to begin with them. i lost interest about half way through this mix and couldn't convince myself to listen on. that is a bad sign. i skipped ahead to some nifty lead playing but the drums, lack of meat and overall emptyness in this mix was still killing it

sorry but NO.

Well, zyko was definately dead-on about the drums. This percussion is completely devoid of dynamics; so much so that it detracts from the whole package. It also dominates the soundfield in a way that is in no way pleasing. Sometimes I can hardly hear anything over the BUHBUHBUHBUHBOOM drums. There's good guitar shreddage, but I can't even hear it over the maelstrom of superloud soundfont-drums.

I don't mean to be harsh, but other than some nice guitar playing, this mix offers nothing we're looking for here. The transitions are nothing, the mixing is lacking the TLC that makes any track worth listening to, and most of what I hear from the original is near-verbatim.

My best recommendation for this track is this - Back to the drawing board.

NO

-D

Well the other judges already covered the issues here. Let me briefly recap. Not bad at all for a first attempt at remixing. Nice pad intro.

My main problem here is the sparseness of the mix compositionally and texturally. Everything sounds thin and small.

Needs more arrangement, expansion, needs better drumwork, needs better production and production tone.

Every journey begins with a single step. This is yours. This needs a lot of work to be honest, but keep at it. Take the overall opinion of the panel and keep working and practicing. Also it would be helpful for you to post your work in the OCR Works in Progress forum.

NO