*NO* Myth '808s Are Great'

djpretzel

Email sub file Myth_808s_Are_Great_OC_ReMix.mp3

I've been using OCremix.org for a while and you've got some great stuff on there. I'm an amateur producer myself so I thought I'd have a go at remixing something for you. Here's the details:

Videogame: Myth

System: Commodore 64

Song: Main Theme

Original Composer: Veroen Tel

I've no idea where to get the original music from though.

Remixer name: MrGittins

Forum ID: 27981

Remix name: 808s are Great

Email Address: jgittinsdis@hotmail.com

Comments: I loved the original music when I was a kid and felt that it would sound good remixed for more of a dancefloor sound. I used fruityloops studio and soundforge to make it.

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/C64Music/Tel_Jeroen/Myth_PSID.sid - Subtune 1/3

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/C64Music/Tel_Jeroen/Myth_Mix.sid - Suntune 1/1

You have to listen beyond 3 minutes of the PSID to finally get all of the sections used in this arrangement. I dunno why you said you had no idea where to get the original from, cuz you had to have gotten it from somewhere. No way you could have recreated the original like that from memory. You even sampled Subtune 2 of the PSID for the female saying "Welcome to Myth". You think we were born yesterday?

Don't feel like getting into the details, but the rearranged parts where the melody was different than the original weren't particularly creative, and much of the piece was the original with lo-fi, generic FL stuff over it. If you're truly going for the default sound vibe, this better be the most impressive arrangement ever.

I don't mean to be glib as a means of crapping on the piece, but I felt that the FL default stuff didn't work in tandem with SIDtune material and that the arrangement needed to be more interpretive without relying on the foundation of the verbatim original most of the way.

Nothing quite overrideable in my opinion, because some additive arrangement ideas were there beyond the simple FL stuff, and some sections of the original were left out, but I could see why someone else would NO Override.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

arrgh, firefox keeps crashing on me. anyways.

nice tribute to the original, it sounds very siddy.

and 808s are great.

apparently 909s are too, since you juxtapose them with your 808 sections.

nonetheless, this is more of a tribute than a reinterpretive arrangement.

it doesn't sound overly FL default to me, has a neat lo-fo motif -- but one that's too strong.

mixing does indeed need to be cleaned up, this can easily grate on one's ears...

no

• 2 weeks later...
arrgh, firefox keeps crashing on me. anyways.

nice tribute to the original, it sounds very siddy.

and 808s are great.

apparently 909s are too, since you juxtapose them with your 808 sections.

nonetheless, this is more of a tribute than a reinterpretive arrangement.

it doesn't sound overly FL default to me, has a neat lo-fo motif -- but one that's too strong.

mixing does indeed need to be cleaned up, this can easily grate on one's ears...

no

I hate to take the easy way out, but analoq has hit the nail on the head here. Not much to add, but a NO. Fun listen though.

Not a bad effort, just not quite there in terms of arrangement and mixing/processing. I’m also digging this dry lo-fi vibe but the integration with the sampled SID stuff isn’t the best. The chorus separation on the lead weakens it IMO. I would have liked the lead to be stronger and more centralized to better tie the other elements of the mix together.

The melodic and percussive additions and changes are minimal which, as has been said, makes this feel like a tribute rather than a remix. Still a fun piece of music to listen to though.

NO