DKC2 "No Country for Old Kongs"

noTuX

I've been working hard to understand proper EQing techniques and trying to figure out what I have been doing wrong.

I think I'm making some progress, so I wanted to test myself. I dug up an extremely old WIP I did back in 2006. This remix is actually the predecessor to "The Delay." I didn't like how it sounded back then, so I started back over, and made what is now posted up on OCR today.:-)

At first, it was kind of an industrial percussion style mix, but now, I've made it into a Trip-Hop style song. I was heavily influenced by Radiowar's "Intoxica" (a track on the upcoming DKC3 album). I loved the vibe so much, I just had to give it a try.

I have it posted up on YouTube for right now, since SoundCloud was acting crazy. I'll try it again later.

Original Stickerbush Symphony theme: http://youtu.be/73n7HTcmb5g

YouTube Vid: http://youtu.be/avy2ew5pdbE

Soundcloud mirror: http://soundcloud.com/user7666413/dkc-2-no-country-for-old-kongs

I know I am not a mod. Or anyone important.

But I really have to commend you.

The reverse note being used as a synth is a very neat way of making the piece stand out. Something that actually really suckered me in.

I actually found myself listening to this one quite a few times.

Far over the 3 runthrough review count, thats for sure.

The phaser effect on the backing synth much to my surprise didn't wear out for me, and added to the overall feel.

The only gripe I have is actually coming back to those reversed notes. The ones that start at around 1:56 till the retrigger at 2:13. (BTW I absolutely LOVE that Retrigger you did. *claps*)

They seem to be a little bit loud on the end of the note.

Other than that I really like this piece.

The arrange is pretty neat, and the piano really compliments the synth you have running.

The only gripe I have is actually coming back to those reversed notes. The ones that start at around 1:56 till the retrigger at 2:13. (BTW I absolutely LOVE that Retrigger you did. *claps*)

They seem to be a little bit loud on the end of the note.

Thanks, Snow. This song has been remixed a million times, so I had to come up with something that will make mine stand out.

I will probably tone those synths down a little, or maybe even apply a light filter.

I'm not expert at this kind of track. But man this is awesome. I love the choice of synth u used. I didn't the piano overpowering just perfect as it is. The transition at 1:52 <3

2:13 glitchy thing is AWESOME. I would like to suggest things but this is not my kind of music so I don't have anything to say on production. It could stay like this and I would find it perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, the production and effects sound really nice here, but the sounds you're working with are just too vanilla, even with the cool reverse-synth treatments you've got going on :-( I don't think this'd pass OCR for that reason alone. You've done a great job touching you an old WIP and it's clear you've improved your sound design a LOT since this was made, but unless you switch up the sound palette almost entirely I don't think this would really get by.

But yeah, as far as getting a clean EQ and great production, then bravo :-) You did great there, this is sounding much improved from your past work man, so you should be proud of that!

To be honest, the production and effects sound really nice here, but the sounds you're working with are just too vanilla, even with the cool reverse-synth treatments you've got going on :-( I don't think this'd pass OCR for that reason alone.

I understand what you mean. The lead synths I'm using are new VSTs. I haven't perfected them just yet. I do plan on making a few changes to them before it's evaluated.

I'll also be adding some stuff in the background to fill up the empty spots.

• 1 month later...