Persona 2 / Donkey Kong Country 2 / Outrun (Timeless Devotion: A tribute to the 80s pop)

DjMystix

Updated mix:

'Timeless Devotion':

Sources breakdown: (They are mostly overlapped)

00:00 - 00:37 : DKC2 (Mining Melancholy)

00:19 - 00:37 : Persona 2 (Map)

00:38 - 01:34 : Persona 2 (Maya's Theme)

01:35 - 02:00 : DKC2 (Mining Melancholy)

01:53 - 02:39 : Outrun (Magical Sound Shower)

02:40 - 02:59 : Persona 2 (Maya's Theme)

03:00 - 03:32 : Original Stuff

Sources:

Donkey Kong Country 2 (Mining Melancholy):

Persona 2 (Map):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw6-LkojX28

Persona 2 (Maya's Theme): Main Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JWhM_aMthE

Outrun (Magical Sound Shower):

------

[old]

This has been on my mind since last couple of weeks. I wanted to do a pure 80's pop and came up with this (incredibly) rough idea:

[removed]

Not even sure why I'm putting it here but would be great to collect some ideas from fellow mixers :D Remember, nothing is final here, it's just a brain dump made within an hour.

Remember, nothing is final here, it's just a brain dump made within an hour.

I'm kind of intimidated to make any complaints about something so good made in such a short amount of time. The only thing that sort of bothers me are the hi-hats, they seem maybe too loud? I have such little experience remixing, so maybe it's just me.

This is awesome though, I've been into 80's a lot recently, so I enjoyed it even more. I can't wait to hear the finished song!

• 4 months later...

so I finally decided to pursue and finish this track. I really wanted to do a pure 80s pop song so you'll hear all kind of 80s stuff. It is almost finished and ready for feedback which, as always, is greatly appreciated :D btw, the main song here is Persona 2 (Maya's Theme)

Remix Link: (updated to final verison)

(Timeless Devotion: A tribute to the 80s)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/TimelessDevotion.mp3

Sources breakdown: (They are mostly overlapped)

00:00 - 00:37 : DKC2 (Mining Melancholy)

00:19 - 00:37 : Persona 2 (Map)

00:38 - 01:34 : Persona 2 (Maya's Theme)

01:35 - 02:00 : DKC2 (Mining Melancholy)

01:53 - 02:39 : Outrun (Magical Sound Shower)

02:40 - 02:59 : Persona 2 (Maya's Theme)

03:00 - 03:32 : Original Stuff

Sources:

Donkey Kong Country 2 (Mining Melancholy):

Persona 2 (Map):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw6-LkojX28

Persona 2 (Maya's Theme): Main Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JWhM_aMthE

Outrun (Magical Sound Shower):

What hits me straight away is how good the synths sound and true to the 80's vibe they are. The percussion also emphasize and enhance the mix a lot. The rendition of Magical Sound Shower is great. I like the personal touches a lot. I think this is definitely ready for submission. I so want to offer some more substantial feedback but this sounds AWESOME. The expression on the leads is fantastic and the mix is, as usual, full, warm and balanced. With this, the sources are interwoven well and there is cohesion as you refer back to previously used sources, bar MSS but that's fine as its more like a bridge. It is really well melded in btw.

My only comment would be on the ending. I feel that more tension could be built up before finish. Whether you use higher octaves before the final repeat of the main melody or by dropping the bass for a bar or two, I think you could have a more......definite ending. Its a tiny tiny point that is more personal opinion than anything else.

Great stuff bud, I really like it :D

Hey! Thanks a lot for the awesome comments. Glad you liked it. Actually, your Outrun remix (here) inspired me to add a little flavor of MSS to this mix :D

My only comment would be on the ending. I feel that more tension could be built up before finish. Whether you use higher octaves before the final repeat of the main melody or by dropping the bass for a bar or two, I think you could have a more......definite ending. Its a tiny tiny point that is more personal opinion than anything else.

I understand what you mean by extending the ending a bit with cutting bass on a measure and all that :) I always try to limit my ending buildup to 3-4 measures max because judging from my experience, people get bored quickly if you repeat a part too much. That's why I play safe and keep it short :D but I totally get what you're saying.

I'd be careful with some of the resonances on the bells. Beyond that, nothing in the production bothered me. I'm a bit concerned that this is too much of a medley, but I can't say for sure either way. Another mod/judge opinion on this?

Nice sound, nice track. It's not gonna kick ppl in the face, and it's not gonna make ppl notice it for a lack of intensity. You're just gonna notice it was in yoru playlist when it ends and you go "oh, that was a nice groove/track that went by". And I like that. :D