Contact Info

Your ReMixer name : SirRus

Your real name : Ravi Sharma

Your email address : Ravi.U.Sharma-1@ou.edu ravio03@yahoo.com

Your website : http://students.ou.edu/S/Ravi.U.Sharma-1/

ReMix Info

Name of game(s) ReMixed : StarFox

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Corneria Theme

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :

I have been working on getting a song on OCR for quite some time now, but unfortunately have been on hiatus in developing my l33t remixing skillz due to some serious personal struggles. Making music makes me happy and the first thing I did to work on my happiness again was going at another OCR submission. I know you guys haven't heard from me in quite some time, like back in the day when I used to flood the submissions board with a new one as soon as permitted by the rules (and sometimes even sooner, heh). Anyway, I tried a lot of new things with this song and I hope you enjoy listening. I am naming it after one of my favorite OCR musicians who also coincidentally did a remix of this song that long ago inspired me to join this community.

Edit: New info

I just had a quick request to make for a song of mine that should be coming up in the next batch of songs you all will be judging: After submitting my song I had Danny (SGX) help me get it to sounding a lot better as he took my Reason file and mastered it and made everything sounding much much better, so I would like to give him credit for that in the event that my song passes. I didn't really know how to go about doing that since it wasn't really a collab, just the same thing SGX did for sephfire's first KH mix, and in the writeup for it djp gave SGX props for his work on the song.

- Ravi

Song: The Wingless

URL:

The organ and bells sound pretty weak and things get a little bit crowded every once in a while but there's plenty of stuff here that easily makes up for that. At 0:37 the filtering on the drums helps to keep things progressing just when they were starting to become somewhat monotonous. You seem to have an intuitive grasp on exactly when to change things to keep them from growing tired like at 1:07 when the switch to 6/4 comes just in the nick of time [the bass and the lead seem a little bit out of sync here]. This goes on just long enough to provide an opening for the original drum pattern to return without feeling too repetitive. Here you start to do some really strong melodic sound programming which is a welcome change from the organ and bells.

At 1:36 the dotted, dotted, rest thing gets on my nerves a bit but I think that's a personal thing and it allows the piano to make an heroic entrance [yes that "an" belongs there] saving me from what almost became annoying. The layering at 2:29 works great when you remove the bass allowing us to more clearly here the rhythmic interaction between the two melodic parts and the drums but just when this starts to feel too open the bass returns. This melodic stuff remains until the end and everything builds nicely then sort of gets swept away by that swelling instrument like a giant broom brushing the song into its conclusion.

The strength of this song comes from knowing when to change things in order to keep them from becoming too repetitive and great use of contrasts.

YES

Purple is the color of champions!

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/starfox.rsn - "Corneria" (sf-09.spc)

Cool opening sound until :12. I didn't like the faux electric guitar type lead synth entering in at :13 at all though. Also, though that lead was the most prominent instrument, it still couldn't cut through the mass of other sounds going on. Otherwise, I felt the structure here was aight. Surprisingly solid.

Everything on the production side lacked clarity and separation. The organ at :36 was being obscured by the bass and all of the beatwork going on. Yeah, I liked the big-beat type approach, but the melodic content was too obscured pretty much the entire time. The low synth arriving at 1:21 didn't mesh well with the other sounds, and IMO could have been pulled back a bit.

Finally at 1:51 we get something at least reminiscent of the Wingless with some piano work, though the piano work sounded flooded. I was actually feeling the most of the crazy ideas here, but the production was definitely weak. Indeed, everything sounds even more rough and indistinct at 2:27 and moreso at 2:50.

I've gotta give Ravi serious props in that I actually liked most of the arrangement ideas and he managed to present them in a much more coherent manner than I've heard in all of his previous subs. But if you're having SGX master your material (and Danny's stuff typically sounds awesome), then have him tell you what you can do to sharpen the sounds a bit in the mixing phase, bring more separation and clarity to the picture and achieve a more fitting sound balance amongst your instruments. Otherwise, the ReMixing forum is the place to go. Cool shit, nonetheless. Is John's vote in the bag?

NO (resubmit)

Sorry I wasn't able to check the final version of this before you submitted Ravi. Solid help by SGX. On one hand I wish he contributed a little more and also some in the mixing department too, but on the other hand I think it's crucial and educational that you learn and struggle on this on your own.

I have to agree with larry, once the not very pleasant electric guitar came in, it went downhill after that. I think you should ask SGX to teach you some nice synth design for the lead instead of that guitar. My main beef with the mix is everything just sounds mushed together. There's very little definition. Major eq on an instrument by instrument basis is in order here! There's also a lot of low frequencies muddying up the mix and dominating other elements here. That's my main beef. I like that you're actually spreading out your mix wider now and taking advantage of the stereo field.

Good pacing and structure in general. I think this is one thing where you shine at and is consitently good in your mixes. Drums...Are you using Dr Rex? Gotta mix that up some more, they get a little repettive once in a while. One thing I do like throughout is all the nice little automation and processing.

This needs a little more work. I really hate saying this to you, because I know you're right on the brink of big things.

Borderline

NO Resub!

PS Work on your FF4 mix again. I heart.

Everything on the production side lacked clarity and separation. The organ at :36 was being obscured by the bass and all of the beatwork going on.
Nail on the head.

While I really like the arrangement, percussion and some of the samples I can't get past how cluttered and mushy large portions of the mix feel. 0:52-1:06, 2:13-2:27 stand out as major offenders but working on clearing the distinction between individual elements throughout the entire mix is a must. I would especially work on the guitar that has been mentioned as well as the organ that just doesn’t have much life to it and sounds slightly over-reverbed.

The panned pandemonium of 2:27-2:49 rocked the house!

I’m actually pretty borderline on this but with what can be the hardest part out of the way, composition and arrangement, working on the sound issues that I and the other judges have mentioned doesn’t seem like too much to ask. Good stuff so far.

NO (Please Resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...
My main beef with the mix is everything just sounds mushed together.

That is also my beef. It is also my chicken, veal, and mutton.

Remember Mr. Miyagi: "Whole life must have balance." This mix needs balance man. Everything is fighting for attention, which is a real shame because the groove and interpretation is pretty good. Lots of nice melodic and harmonic ideas, but it just fills up one's ears in a bad way. Needs a production fix, and kill the fake guitar.

I do want to say I'm pleased with the lack of sampled Hindi film music. ;)

NO RESUB