To: submissions@overclocked.org

Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 3:44 PM

Subject: Chrono Cross Magical Dreamwatch OC ReMix

Title: Magical Dreamwatch

Author: FalconNL

Author E-mail: please do not publish

Game: Chrono Cross

Platform: Playstation

This is my first remix, so I hope I've followed all the standards correctly. There are two points missing from the id3v2 tag (original album/movie and part of a set), but Winamp doesn't support them. I tried another id3 editor but it didn't have those properties either. I hope this will not be a reason for rejecting it but if it is, please let me know how I can add them.

Thanks in advance for uploading this.

Regards,

FalconNL

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - A bunch of 'em

Yeesh, hitting me with a severe case of medleyitis. Source tunes changed from one idea to the next with no effort put forth in making logical/flowing transitions. They weren't overly jarring, but they were lazy.

The mixing/production was actually fairly good, but the instrumentation was deceivingly sparse. The woodwinds in particular needed more work to sound more realistic/human. Scope out the ReMixing forum and see what tips/advice you can find.

Just a very scattershot approach with some duly-noted rearrangement, but nothing here was given enough time or development, even within nearly 4 minutes. Ambitious ideas, but not approached in a practical way.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The interaction between the instruments in this piece is $priceless$. Sudden key changes/transitions like at 0:42, 0:54, 2:23, 2:59, 3:07 are absolutely beautifull. I can understand why some people might think they sound lazy, but I can assure you that there's a whole world of well respected music where transitions are far more abrubt than they are here. I love this kind of stuff.

There are so many wonderfull things in this song. I can't stop listening to it and each time I do I gain a deeper apreciation for the subtlety and detail. Some of the harmonies like the Gb at 2:18 sound deliberate to me and I have to objection to them. They remind me of Shostakovich in that, each instrument has a very specific logic unto itself so even when they ocassionally clash, the order is so firmly established that it doesn't feel like a mistake.

I think I've made it clear that sound quality takes a back seat to creativity in my book and despite the relatively poor quality of the samples here, the choice of instruments is excellent. The texture is unique and it works so well, with the panning used to perfection, that I don't give a HOOT about the lack of realism. Finally the sudden ending works in a piece like this because there was no promise earlier of developement that wasn't fulfilled. The whole song was like a series of sketches so when the final one came to a conclusion there was no need for any sort of climactic ending.

YES

I agree that the mood and texture created by the instrument selection is interesting, although I can't chalk that up to the remixer's creativity since similar instrument combinations are used often in the Chrono series. Sound quality really isn’t an issue here since the samples are above the bar and the panning and slight reverb works to give the piece a bit of depth. The EQ could use a bit of tweaking as the low end feels a little flat though.

The biggest problem is the sequencing. Not only is it amazingly mechanical but this piece offers up some very odd, and I'm going to have to go with unpleasant, harmonies. Even if the sequencing was better humanized, the melodic phrases that are weaved together, especially during the first two minutes or so, are very repetitive and plain. At one point during the first 2:00 the supporting harp goes on eight-note mode and even when it interrupts itself with a triplet or two, the other instruments take up the plodding slack. The plodding is greatly reduced by welcomed tempo shifts around 2:00 and 3:00. Unfortunately after 3:00 (and to a great extent for much of the piece) the piano and some of the supporting instruments have almost no velocity variation making them feel static and uninteresting.

Remco, humanization comes in 3 major forms: note timing, volume and length (in that order or relative importance IMO). In order to create a more realistic performance you have to vary those throughout the piece keeping in mind the way that they would vary if a human was actually playing the instruments. Although it's not required of all pieces, for a mix like this that attempts to keep the same old world acoustic Chrono vibe, it is an absolute must. A little work in this area could really bring out the charm in this mix that’s hiding just beneath the surface.

Work on the performance and then we can discuss the arrangement but great work for a first submission. Keep working at it.

NO

This sounds like it was played by the robots I build at school. Very mechanical harp and flute work, and because the whole song is acoustic it really detracts from the overall listening experience.

This is another piece that just feels like it's going through the motions. No real highs, no real lows; there are points where I can see the attempt, but without attention paid to velocities and dynamics, it comes off as flat.

Read what Harmony said about humanization; he summed it up very well. Take it to heart. This piece needs the human touch.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

the piano is the main thing that kills this remix. The sequencing is harmonically and rhytmically simple. it makes the song sound childish. the leads interact very well, but the rhythm piano needs more complexity very badly. play around with syncopated rhythms and more complex chords.

NO