*NO* EarthBound 'Wonderin''

OceansAndrew

The arrangement was pretty straightforward, focusing on the melodies of the original and adding a nice expansion via lyrics and energy. I think the lyrics were really nice and the performance was generally on, though there were a few picthy moments where some re-takes or pitch correction would benefit the song a good deal. The guitars had a bit much reverb on them, making things get muddy in some spots, and the drum tone was a bit flat and not very punchy. I think this has potential and would be a great addition to the site, but the mixing needs to be tuned up, and the few vocal parts pitch corrected.

I would love to hear this resubmitted. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Andrew pretty much got this right on. I thought the arrangement was really cute, and I think it's on the right track, but needs some polish before it's front page ready. Fixing up some of the intonation in the vocals will be a great start, and I'd also lean towards wanting the bass to come up just a tad. I'll also agree with OA that the reverb needs to come down a little on the guitars.

Hope you fix this up!

NO (resubmit please)

Definitely a weird intro there, panned hard right momentarily. The mixing was a bit odd to start (before the vocals entered), as the lead synth was too dry and upfront compared to the other instrumentation.

The vocals are OK; the treatment on them's not bad, though they still sound too dry, which doesn't help when the pitchiness is exposed like this. It's mostly when you're modulating your voice on the last syllables of each line. That said, this was better than a lot of rejections, you just need more control or some pitch correction applied after the fact.

The drumwork felt very flimsy during the verses, definitely flat like OA said. The overall mixing sounded unintentionally lo-fi; it's not horrible, but tweak the things OA and DA brought up. Decent start, Jake; polish it up and try again; you have a decent shot at lifting the execution up to where it needs to be.

NO