*NO* MapleStory 'Kerning Techno'

djpretzel

Gotta fly without the source tune for this one. Too bad too; based on the Maple Story website, it looks like a really professional-grade freeware game. Maybe someone can play that shit and dig up the source tune. If you're gonna submit from a game like this where the source material is hard to find, try and record it and send it along with your submission, Tyler. Hell, give your submission a more creative name too.

Oooh, I'm being groove biased so good with the intro. Loving that low synth filling out the low end. But the melody starting up at :47 had such a generic electrosynth on the lead that it failed to effectively distinguish itself from the other sounds there. Bah, it's gonna be a generic synth showcase.

The chorus (if you will) starting at 1:18 left that saw wave really exposed, and it just didn't function well here. Perhaps swap that one thing out for something else and give this mix a more unique texture. Also, that chorus from 1:18-1:32 dragged like nobody's business, repeating ad nauseum until 2:52. Don't drag that one part out like that, or at least apply some variations to it instead, cuz it's part of the foundation of the track and it made the rest of the track seem too repetitive to me despite a lot of additional elements being added on top of the groove moving toward the end.

Not bad I suppose, but the composition doesn't eclipse the overly generic texture of your sounds. On the plus side, I thought the production here was pretty sweet. Everything on that level sounded pretty good. Perhaps see what you can do on the synth design level by hitting the ReMixing forum. Whatever you can do beyond, say, the 1:49 mark to vary up the arrangement would help keep the track from dragging. Interesting stuff.

NO (resubmit)

I couldn’t find the source either but I think that this mix needs a little more work to pass on the sound quality side of things before we get into arrangement. That’s not to say that there’s not some good stuff here including a nice thick bass, solid beat and some interesting SFX.

The biggest problem is that they don’t change at all throughout the song. The buzzy lead that first enters at 0:47 is cool for a while but it slightly overpowers the background elements and doesn’t let up after its introduction. By 2:38 we have at least 3 more similar synths all playing at once which mashes for something of a synth mush. I could say that more drastic panning might help matters but there’s only so much it can do. There is also the problem of relatively sparse section at 1:19 that could have a lot more going for it, even thought it builds to something.

Some of the synth sequencing (lead and supporting) in the first minute sounds a little loose so you might want to look at cleaning that up. Other than that, variety is the key Tyler. I’m all about lyrics so I think a rapper or a vocalist would be an interesting way to replace some of the lead synths. Keep working at it.

NO

Pulsewidth Modulation is I don't like here!

Triplet Eb,F,Eb first at 0:50 is out of sync and sloppy with. 1:20 Pwithmod + pitchbend = OUCH when all by itself. Repitition too much and not genre excuse. Things call too much attention for claim to be dance club genre. Repitition in that setting for hypnotic effect hence "trance" moniker but here repitition is for annoyance. 2:14 sixteenth notes chords high point in song especially Eb major triad but before long triplets from 0:50 return for crowded too much.

More things like 2:14 to help hide overwhelmingly abrasive sounding pwidthmod. If choose to stay with repetitive then more to keep things flowing needs. Right now not quite!

NO

Pulsewidth Modulation is I don't like here!

Triplet Eb,F,Eb first at 0:50 is out of sync and sloppy with. 1:20 Pwithmod + pitchbend = OUCH when all by itself. Repitition too much and not genre excuse. Things call too much attention for claim to be dance club genre. Repitition in that setting for hypnotic effect hence "trance" moniker but here repitition is for annoyance. 2:14 sixteenth notes chords high point in song especially Eb major triad but before long triplets from 0:50 return for crowded too much.

More things like 2:14 to help hide overwhelmingly abrasive sounding pwidthmod. If choose to stay with repetitive then more to keep things flowing needs. Right now not quite!

NO

Motherfucker English, speak it do yous?

PulpFiction_Jules.jpg