*NO* Perfect Dark 'Alien Airforce'

djpretzel

email sub file Jiveman - Perfect Dark - Alien Airforce.mp3

>Hello, I'm a new remixer...best of luck to myself!

CONTACT INFO

* Remixer name: Jiveman

* E-mail: Jiveman17@aol.com

* Overclocked username: Jiveman17

REMIX INFO

* Game(s): Perfect Dark (N64)

* Song remixed: "Airforce 1"

* Inspiration: I have been a HUGE fan of this site, I LOVE IT...I've heard every single song off the site. I first discovered it October 2002. I have ALWAYS been a music fan, I play piano/keyboard...and have a music archive to fill the collesseum. I finally got down and found a list of games I wished to remix, and my first complete remix I'm proud of is Perfect Dark - Airforce 1 ("Alien Airforce" being my name)...So even though it took me a while, I finally registered, and am submitting some of my work. I only dream to one day be in the top ranks as such remixers as Analoq, McVaffe, Protricity, Scott Peeples, Star Salzman, and OF COURSE seriously my personal favorite djpretzel!!!

PS...Sorry if I rambled (I'm assuming you get some more excited first timers...), I just really hope you enjoy my song, and expect some more coming in the next month or so!

SOME ADDITIONAL INFO

http://www.ocremix.org

* Original Composer(s): Graeme Norgate, Grant Kirkhope

* Game: Perfect Dark

* Game Publisher: Nintendo

* Performer: Jiveman

* Remix Title: Alien Airforce

* Remix Length: 4:43

* Remix Size - 5.41 MB

* Year: 2005

THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY!!!...honored to even be sending a submission, hope you enjoy!!!

~Corey Swets A.K.A. Jiveman

@-}-----

http://www.zophar.net/usf/pdusf.rar - 26b "Air Force One: Anti-Terrorism"

Not a bad original intro here for the first 40 seconds or so. The soundfield was cluttered and the mixing lacked any polish, but the groove was decent. The lead synth entering at :43 finally brought the source's melody into play. The arrangement mostly proceeded with additive ideas gradually coming into play until 1:36 removed some ideas, which didn't really retain my interest in this case.

I thought the structure was too repetitive. Nothing melodic changed until 2:28, which was just over halfway through the track. At that point, there were nothing in the background driving the track along, since the bassline had been removed, but some cymbal work finally filled things out a bit around 3:03. Even just going into 3:30, the track really dragged along with further repetition.

Either trim the repetitive fat off this or provide some more variation in the arrangement. Also, find out what you can do to achieve a better speration of sounds here, as well as perhaps add some other support instrumentation to give this track some drive and direction. Good stuff for a first sub; you had some good ideas and as well as the potential to make some powerful sounding stuff in the future.

NO

There’s a lot to enjoy about this sinister devil of a mix. The lead synth in the intro has some really cool FX thrown on it and is crazy dynamic. The distortion is especially hot when it’s applied to the melody synth starting at 0:43. The percussion in the intro is a little discombobulated and I think a more controlled groove would serve as a better intro to the mix. After the bass drops at 0:39 the mix comes into its own though. The automation on the high hats, those industrial hits that are peppered throughout and the synth work all worked to keep things moving along.

Unfortunately the groove, the melodies and the synth work that’s setup after the intro linger for the rest of the mix. Make sure to keep the ideas and sounds in your mix fresh. To help, you might try randomly skipping around to a few points in your mix. If they sound too similar to each other then you might have a problem. In general I think that the level of arrangement is good but the repetitive composition brings it down.

The bass and percussion samples are good but they could be better. Although it doesn’t significantly affect my decision, for future reference you might want to head to the ReMixing forum and search for some upgraded percussive samples and also get some tips on bringing some life to the bass (it’s pretty plain as it is).

Good first effort Corey but I think the repetitiveness drags this too far down to pass. Hope you keep working at it.

NO

Good for you! You hardly had to use any snare drums yet the groove was tight regardless!

Otherwise I'm just gonna echo Larry and Harmony.... it's too repetitive. What's there is great especially the almost no snare drum thing. I gotta try that, it makes everything feel so loose. 2:30 was such a relief when it finally happened as was the new percussion at 2:45. It's so great how you unexpectedly leave certain beats unspoken for in the drums which makes my body want to fill in those holes with movement. I can't keep still. Lovely!

Try going for maybe three minutes instead of five next time and come up with at least three distinct musical ideas in those three minutes. If you do that then unless the first two ideas are under thirty seconds long, the song will be incapable of repeating too much. Just a suggestion, there are other ways to keep things from being too repetitive but that one's the easiest.

NO

Sounds too sparse. There isn't anything going on harmonically at all, which I think this piece could really benefit from. The intro's percussion which is, to borrow Harmony's term, is discombobulated, but I think that works. The problem is, it never becomes...combobulated.

:?:

You know what I mean. The song is one giant intro that never breaks down into a solid groove that locks together with a bassline. It builds and builds but never reaches the apex. Not good.

Add to that the fact that it's really repetitive and we've got a no win situation.

NO