Nothing to see here (Cleared for now)

CJthemusicdude

Seejaaaaayyyy, good to see some more stuff from you on here! Listened to this one a few times now, and whilst the ambient sections are really atmospheric and moody, the upbeat parts just aren't cutting it for me. It's the same criticism I had of your earlier stuff though - it's samples and sound design issues. Honestly, if you upgrade your synths or pick more complex sounds you'd have much better luck passing the panel! I think the judges also commented on this on your last remix.

If you don't/can't upgrade, then try using a ton of automation on the synths. Just opening up a cutoff, or adding some extra resonance to a held note can work wonders. Also try things like (especially in the middle beat section) dBlue Glitch and some stutter effects. That's free and makes a big difference if used sparingly and tastefully. I'd also change that bass to something more aggressive with some distortion, and really twist and glitch it up to give that part more energy! Try some pitchbends on the melody synth as well, and consider changing it up for something a bit fatter (or see what it sounds like with a dirtier bass).

Sounds like I'm being a bit harsh here, but I know you can take it! Feel free to pm me for more specific stuff if you want, this is good but not quite there yet!

No, I definitely appreciate the feedback Dark, it gives me more room to improve.

So I changed a large amount of the synth work in that middle upbeat section, overhauled a couple synths and automated a bunch of goodies. I'm not usually a fan of the program Dblue glitch because usually it's really obvious when someone is using it. However, I did add a TINY bit of Dblue in that par. Let me know what you think!

Yeah I know what you mean about glitch, but if you look at my Fore on the Floor remix, that bassline has glitch on it, and it gives it that extra movement really easily.

I like the improvements you've made so far, however that bass still sounds too "rounded" to me, and that section is a little muddy compared to the others. The intro sounds great though - did you add that harpsichord type thing, or change a synth? It's very nice.

So yeah, carry on, and try and clean up the uptempo bit some more!

Thought I'd throw some coins! *bling*

It's not the first time I hear direction issues on one of your mixes. This one starts with an eerie, mysterious mood, then it suddenly changes to a verrrrry different, upbeat tune, and then it goes to an epic orchestral 'til the end. I understand that you could probably have set a style to work with, but still, the way things are done here makes it all pretty distracting, as if there's various songs glued together. It's important to change textures in a single track (with smooth enough transitions), but it's also interesting to set a solid line to follow.

My suggestions for this are either remove the upbeat part or develop it somehow. For example, I could try to keep the haunting tune from the first section in it, maybe with the same deep pads (except that they could glitch). I agree with DarkSim on the upbeat part stuff too, and that drum sequencing definitely needs some more love.

Also... Sounds like a hard source to work with o.O

Eh... you'd have a hard time passing this one through the panel. The sound quality is pretty good, and the source is all there, but OCR isn't the sort of place for a song that sounds like three songs, as stated here...

Originally posted by OCR Submission Standards

Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

I think you can still make this work, but it's going to take a bit of rearranging, altogether. That electro section just can't be in this song - it simply doesn't work for the sake of cohesiveness. The last section could be build into the song, I suspect, but you'd need to return to it's deeper roots.

Or you can base the song off another section of the track - they all would work pretty well on their own, just not together like this. If you want to submit to OCR you need a more cohesive track. That's not to say this isn't good, because it is; it's just not what OCR is looking for, as it stands.

Yeah, don't be discouraged by it - OCR is just one place with a pretty specific requirement. You have the chops to make awesome stuff; right now it's just a matter of getting it in a specific format that OCR is looking for, if you're shooting to be an OCRemixer.

Good luck with future WIPs, man.

EDIT: Hey, don't change the title because you're not working on it - other people should be allowed to enjoy the work you already put in!