OceansAndrew

Brandon Strader
www.bstrader.net

Game: Final Fantasy 2 (NES)
Nobuo Uematsu
Source: Revivification

NES version:

GBA version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdKePGtmKv4
I'm linking both for clarity reasons, plus I used aspects of the GBA version for the mix.

FF2 Project

Rebirth is pretty close to the kind of music I have been working towards making for a long time. It's kinda undefinable IT'S NOT DUBSTEP STFU with a lot of elements that are not dubstep. It's the kind of hybridization between electronic and organic instrumentation that I've been trying to achieve since the original version of Celestial Entrance. It's possibly the brutalest metal I've ever forged and it shall be upon the Final Fantasy 2 album. The basilisk in FF2 is lizard-like so it almost has Argonians, which is cool. It hadn't occurred to me until just now but this might be a hipster remix.

This is clearly a dubstep mix. I hear wubs, therefore it is dubstep :P

Anyways. Got some saxiness going on, combinations between some chorus and rocking drums. Pretty eclectic and fun mix, and a neat take on a short source. I'd say some of the sections feel a bit crowded, which would be the drawback, but it's more of a nitpick than anything serious.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
This is clearly a dubstep mix. I hear wubs, therefore it is dubstep :P

your probably saying that with a hint of sarcasm, but for the record that is a bad generalization, dubstep is more about the two step beat (ala 'dub'/reggae music, with the primary beats on 1 and 3 of each measure). wubs aren't exclusive to dubstep, but they're so prevalent nowadays that people just lump the two together. just like anything with synths is "techno". but yeah, I'd still probably classify most of this as dubstep before anything else, aside from the sax section in the middle. very interesting integration of the acoustic elements. nice arrangement, nice sounds, overall pretty good stuff.

YES

Really neat track, I love the warm atmosphere set up by the pads/acoustic instruments and how they contrast with the more aggressive/raw sounding synths. It's a cool experimental mix that shows off your knack for coming up with unique hybrid soundscapes that have probably never been done before, and I think people will appreciate the creativity that went into this. I'm also impressed with how quickly you picked up the saxophone and were able to learn it well enough to include in a mix.

Not much to say here, it's quirky, fun, and reasonably well-executed. Dig it!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like we've been getting more and more dubstep mixes on the panel lately. Not that I mind, because I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the dubstep genre.

I can't remember hearing a dubstep mix from you before, but I can hear how your balancing has improved as you've gotten more mixes under your belt. Comparing this to some of your stuff even only a year ago the improvement is quite noticable.

You've implemented a nice dubstep beat with the signature dubstep wubba bass. Besides the dubstep elements, though, you've successfully incorporated a collage of elements from live guitar & sax to chip synths, which is very impressive.

Arrangement itself is very creative on such a short source. Basically, it's very additive on top of the repeating patterns, but definitely well executed.

Dubsteppy