*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Maryo Boogie'

djpretzel

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dazeland/SuperMario1.zip - Track 1 <- Zophar's NSF section is down for some reason!

Very Cute!

Some people might be cool with this since it's got personality but for me the poor execution ruins it. The sax sample is awfull and its solo was weak. You left the pizzicato melody part playing while the solo was taking place along with some intrusive brass chords. The extreme panning came close to salvaging this section but it fell a bit short. Drums are repetitive and the honky tonk piano solo traded back and forth between sounding mechanical and then all too human interms of sloppiness.

Personality and pizazz do count for something, but it is my belief that if you're going for this sort of "concept" mix, the arrangement has to be extra-tight. The crappy samples wouldn't matter if the sax solo wasn't all over the place and actually played off the pizzicato melody and brass chords instead of competing with them. Also you could have made it sound as though the drummer was awake and paying attention to the rest of the ensemble. As far as genre authenticity is concerned... if this was supposed to be "boogie-woogie", as is implied by the title and bass line, then it should have been in swing time and not straight-eights.

n0

• 2 weeks later...

Cool arrangement, but cruddy samples and cruddily used samples at that. I feel like Vig here going this glib.

But seriously though, cool ideas on the arrangement. The supporting drums and piano got really monotonous though, so address that. Head over to the ReMixing forum and work on humanizing the performance here. The sax in particular sounded awful. Shna already hit most of the salient points.

NO

I hate to say it, but the sounds here are sort of bringing this one down. Sounds like a lot of general MIDI type stuff with some corny timpani rolls, acoustic drums, horns, and orchestra hits. Also there seems to be nothing in the way of dynamics or effects processing like reverb or delay, which would be nice! Arrangement is also kind of weak.. there are some good ideas, but they're not arranged in a cohesive manner. For instance the mix just sort of sputters and fades away at the end rather than really resolving. No one part is terribly different from another, same 'feel' and mood throughout.

Promising, reminiscent of Dr. Fruitcake who uses similar-quality samples. Keep working at it.

NO

This is a fun mix with some interesting arrangement ideas. Good job sequencing the piano. It could have been less rigid but the right hand captures the boogie-woogie vibe pretty well. The samples aren’t the greatest though. The piano and the brass section are good for this style but the solo sax, which plays such a key role in this mix, is pretty general MIDI, although I think that its sequencing isn't terrible.

The drums need to be a lot more expressive. Their samples aren’t the best so it’s good that they don’t do much to stand out for most of the mix but when we do notice them, as in the drum rolls during the few transitions, they really take the quality down a notch. Definitely hit the ReMixing forum and pick up some better drums (and other samples as well). With the new samples, get a little more creative with the drum groove rather than only switching things up during the transitions.

Fun stuff but not developed enough in terms of sound quality or arrangement. Keep working at it.

NO