Determination?), Gerudo Valley

Remixer name: MtM

Welp. Here we are. I did this over winter break while I was away

from classes and therefore actually had some free time to devote to

it. I guess it kind of started when I was sitting at my piano,

figuring out how to play the Ninja Gaiden tune, when I noticed the

chord progression was exactly the same as Gerudo Valley's. This led

to me just playing around on my keyboard, switching between the two

themes to figure out the best ways to transition them, just for fun.

Then I decided to do a remix of the two of them. I'm not sure where I

got the idea to do it as a dance-style kinda thing, I just played

around with different instruments and synths until I found things that

sounded cool. I'm a big fan of Vurez's Basilisk Run mix, so I didn't

want to do something similar lest I borrow too much inspiration...

Well, anyways, here's my take on the two songs. I hope it's as good

as my roommate seems to think it is!

-----------------------

- Ninja

- Ganon

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, this may be one of the best integrations of two sources together without there being any noticeable transitions I've ever heard. Seriously, the move into Gerudo at 1:36 was seamless, and that's just one example. The arrangement worked really well for me on that aspect, and it was pretty awesome to listen to.

Production has some aspects that I'm not a fan of, unfortunately. Firstly, that snare sounds downright terrible to me in headphones. It's not nearly as noticeable on speakers, but bleh! I'm also not digging the bell and chime samples, but that may be more personal taste. Aside from that, the sounds are fairly generic, but they work for the mix as is.

Overall, still think this is easy YES territory, but if another J can confirm the snare, I'll hit you up for a change there.

YES (conditional?)*changed below

The issue is that things are really pushed to the front, with a very shallow sounding depth. Some elements are pushed back with reverb, but not enough overall, and the track suffers because of it. The bass could use a little cut at 250hz so it's not as boxy as well.

I absolutely love the arrangement, but I think the production needs a bit more polish. This would definitely pass with a little bit of production love.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

The boom-tss beat foundation and some of the synths chosen here were a little too generic-sounding, and the snapping percussion style sound was flimsy like DA mentioned. But the interplay of the two source themes was definitely interpretive and creative. The arrangement is clearly in the right direction. It's a little long and comes off a bit repetitive-sounding over the course of 4 minutes, but that part is where it needs to be, even if it could be spiced up some with more interesting dynamic contrast somehow.

The issue is that things are really pushed to the front, with a very shallow sounding depth.

I thought OA summed it up. The various synths sounded too upfront, a bit grating, and when more than one electrosynth was in play, I felt like they were crowding each other in the same frequency range. Texturally, this sounded pretty weak despite all the parts in play (chimes, bells, beefy bass, those all sounded good in a vacuum, IMO). It's like OA said, it felt like all the sounds were pushed up into (and competing with each other in) the foreground. That's the best I can articulate there, but I'd love to get some more opinions.

Good luck with the rest of the vote! If this doesn't make it, hopefully you're able to make some tweaks that will help push this over the top.

NO (resubmit)