OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

First off, the forum thread is some of the most accurate info there is in relation to the timeline of the X series; the person who compiled it double, triple, dodectuple checked his facts. And most of it is gained from instruction manuals and in-game events.

I'm not listing any of the Zero games because it's a differently designed Zero in those games; I'm going for this Zero design as it is his appearance in the X series, not the Zero series. I know it's just an art-style swap, but if X is in twice, I hope that someday Zero-series Zero can be in as well, and we can link that game then.

I didn't know what game the image was from... eheheh...

Reploids do in fact have souls; see Mega Man Xtreme 2, known in Japan as Rockman X2: Soul Eraser. The events in that game were later referenced by Alia in, I think it was X5, as the Soul Erasure incident.

I'd explain the W, but wouldn't bringing up the fact that Wily created Zero be spoilers for the average person reading the bio? After all, that information is only found out via beating X4 and more importantly X5.

I'll work on the rest.

EDIT: Okay, edited. A few more things.

The quote is from an anime cutscene in Mega Man X4, not a separate product. Therefore, he says it in a game.

I do not know of anything that relates as to why Zero has the Z-Saber. Therefore, I'm leaving it out.

As for ripping off Sigma's arm, it was obviously repaired. If Zero was put back together in X2, there's nothing saying that Sigma couldn't have had his arm reattached.

Edited by Mirby

Damned,

Why no mention of Red's beginnings, how he sets out to find those things on behalf of Professor Oak and his quest to fill in the many blanks of the Pokédex, and his nemesis; Blue? I also don't see any mention of the cartoons. (EDIT: Wait, I'm confusing him with Ash, sorry about that)

Also, lol:

180px-Wild_Prof_Oak.jpg

- If he's a silent protagonist, he doesn't need a quote (even if it is "..."). We tried it with Crono and company before, but later said "nah, forget it."

I was hoping to include one of the following (without quote marks) as the cube's quote. It's actually quoting someone else, but the quote is about the fact that the cube does not speak, so I thought it would kind of count anyway, because it's really not the same thing at all as when i.e. Alyx says to Gordon Freeman (another silent protagonist) that he's a "man of few words", because in this case, the quote, having no quote marks, is really aimed at the reader of the article, not the player or an in-game character. If this distinction makes no sense to you, please request that I explain.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you, and, in fact, cannot speak.
The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube [...], in fact, cannot speak.

Thoughts?

Edited by Dafydd

Newer version, fixed glaring typos and errors. Added some more to a few paragraphs, removed quote.

Red

ocr_mascot_165.png

Article by: The Damned

Pictured from: Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen

Created by: Game Freak

First appearance: 1996

Bio

Red is the first protagonist of the Pokémon game series. His playable appearances are limited to being the player character in both the original Game Boy games Red, Blue and Yellow, and the Game Boy Advance remakes, Fire Red and Leaf Green. He also appears as the final trainer atop Mount Silver in Gold, Silver and Crystal, as well as their remakes, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Red also makes cameos in other Nintendo titles, such as Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Red began his journey though his homeland of Kanto, a place of open county and bustling cities. Professor Oak, the leading expert on creatures called Pokémon, enlisted Red to aid his research. Given the task of finding and capturing as many Pokémon as he could, Red headed out onto an adventure of exploration, discovery and action.

Red isn't known for speaking much, instead preferring to converse in simple "Yes" and "No" responses to most characters. Most of the time, the person(s) he is engaged with will simply continue to speak without interruption until they are done. This may make Red seem timid, but the truth is, he is highly skilled in Pokémon battling. Red has easily defeated not only the eight Kanto Gym Leaders, highly skilled trainers specializing in certain types of Pokémon, but also the Elite Four, the highest ranked trainers in the land. Red also single-handedly defeated the criminal organization Team Rocket, trainers who use Pokémon as tools and weapons to spread their influence across the land.

Upon his victory against the Elite Four, he was crowned the Indigo League Champion. Seeking ever higher skill, he trained on top of the vicious, snow-capped peak of Mount Silver, waiting for a challenger worthy enough to reach him. In the sequel games, the player can only face Red after defeating the Gym Leaders of both the Kanto and Johto regions, and the Elite Four. But even then, he has had three years to hone his skills and raise his team, making this battle one of he most difficult of the entire series.

Aside from his vast collection of Pokémon, Red also has access to several useful tools. He has a collapsible bicycle for speedy transportation; a backpack filled with Pokéballs for catching wild Pokémon; Technical and Hidden Machines, devices used to teach Pokémon new attacks; and the exclusive Pokédex, a device that records all known information on any Pokémon that Red encounters and captures. These tools and his highly trained team of Pokémon have allowed to advance the understanding of Pokémon greatly.

Selected game appearances

=== Game Boy ===

Pokémon Red, Blue (1996)

Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (1998 )

=== Game Boy Color ===

Pokémon Gold and Silver (1999)

Pokémon Crystal (2000)

=== Game Boy Advance ===

Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (2004)

=== Wii ===

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008 )

=== DS ===

Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (2009)

References

Bulbapedia - "Red (Game)"

Wikipedia - "List of Pokémon Characters"

Edited by The Damned
Added to sections, removed other misc.

Feedback on Red:

- Personally, I think "even so" or "but even then" would sound better than "even then" (3rd paragraph).

Fixed.

- Backpack is one word. Or is the hyphenated "back-pack" a correct spelling in your region?

It seems to be. Spell-check isn't freaking out over it.

- "any Pokémon the Red encounters" --> You mean any Pokémon THAT Red encounters?

Fixed. Good eye. I didn't notice it.

- If he's a silent protagonist, he doesn't need a quote (even if it is "..."). We tried it with Crono and company before, but later said "nah, forget it."

I was going to put "Yes/No" but that didn't seem right as a quote.

- Don't forget to link to Pokémon Red in the appearance list. Pokémon Blue can be a separate title because OCR lists a mix under only one title of a pair of games that have the same music/features/whatever. (Biased, yeah, but the higher-ups decided on this.)

Odd, when I went to the games list of remixes, it didn't show up. Fixed.

Similarly, the Gold and Silver, FireRed and LeafGreen, and HeartGold and SoulSilver titles can be separated. The Pictured from line, however, can reflect both titles.

Not entreily sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

- 14 titles is kinda pushing it, but it's not TOO much. There's only one pair under some systems, and the release years between pairs are rather far apart. As for the reference links - our only rule regarding them is to never have only a Wikipedia link. You're in the clear, but if you know of another relevant Pokémon resource whose url doesn't end in -pedia, you can add it.

Technically, I could remove the N64, GameCube and Wii games, as they list Red as only showing up in one battle... but then I would have to do the same for GSC/HGSS, as he also shows up for only one battle. And Brawl doesn't let you control him directly, so much as his pokémon. But again, that also applies to the core games, so I can't do that either.

Worst case, I can ditch the Stadium 2 and GameCube games. His only appearance in those ones is a trainer you can fight in the battling portion of the games. Stadium 2 is basically fighting a series of other trainers, with absolutely no story. Colosseum and XD have stories, but you fight Red outside of the story, in the same way in Stadium 2. It's not part of the plot, and doesn't affect anything game-wise.

As for more sources... sadly, there are only a few. Most Pokémon sites cater towards news and game mechanics, with only minimal character, plot and setting info. Serebii.net has tons of news and a lot about how the games work, but the only other info they have is for the anime, but not the game.

Smogon is entirely about game mechanics, so they're out.

Pokébeach is more like Serebii, they deal in news mostly. They have lots of anime stuff, but nothing on game stuff.

There just aren't enough third-party sites that deal in this area of information. Bulbapedia is pretty much the only real source of detailed articles on game characters.

Damned,

Why no mention of Red's beginnings, how he sets out to find those things on behalf of Professor Oak and his quest to fill in the many blanks of the Pokédex, and his nemesis; Blue? I also don't see any mention of the cartoons. (EDIT: Wait, I'm confusing him with Ash, sorry about that)

I think his beginnings are too basic to include. "Hey kid, here's a Pokédex, go fill it out for me, OK?" doesn't really make for good reading. Also, his rival is pretty much a lower-tier character; he only shows up a few times, he hardly puts up a challenge, and he is quickly supplanted upon your arrival. He's more like... a bump in the road then a rival. Even then, the article is about Red, not Red's rival. It seems out of place.

Besides, anyone that has played any of the games knows exactly how it starts.

Edited by The Damned

The bios are mainly intended for people who haven't played the games, mind you. ;-) I think the bio should at least mention something about his background, not only who he is right now. It needn't be long, maybe just something along the lines of

Red isn't known for speaking much, instead preferring to converse in simple "Yes" and "No" responses to most characters. Most of the time, the person(s) he is engaged with will simply continue to speak without interruption until they are done. This may make Red seem timid, but the truth is, he is highly skilled in Pokémon battling. Though Red started out as a nobody, given one single pokémon to get him started on his quest to find every Pokémon in the world, he has since easily defeated not only the eight Kanto Gym Leaders, but also the Elite Four and the criminal organization Team Rocket.

Then again, to someone who hasn't played the game, what the heck is a Kanto Gym? Or even a Pokémon? I find these things a lot more important than listing every game in which he is a playable character.

Maybe I'm biased against both Zero's and Red's bios because I never played anything beyond X3 (doubt I even beat that) and Pokémon Blue (definitely did not beat that), but there it is.

Edited by Dafydd

More feedback on Zero:

- "Sigma decides to face" --> more like "Sigma then faces" or just "Sigma faces" because as leader of the Hunters, how can he decide not to avenge his fallen comrades?

- I think the word "familiar" threw me off regarding the W. Maybe cut it or change it to "curious" or "visible" or something, just so other people won't demand WHY it's familiar.

- Since you don't establish the virus earlier, it would sound clearer if the sentence read "while this was exposed, a virus held latent inside Zero's body..."

- If he's the same character in the Mega Man Zero series, which you concede in your last sentence, then Mega Man Zero 2 should logically be in his appearance list. But if djp does add MMZ-style Zero as a mascot in the future (keep lobbying for it), we'll adjust the appearance lists accordingly.

Once these nitpicks are dealt with, the bio will be passable. Despite no mention of his Z-Saber, Zero does have a solid history, personality, and motives, plus established relationships with Sigma and X ("His power and abilities are much greater than that of X, something that X uses as a goal to reach" = nice).

Dafydd, I think I understand what you mean, but if a mascot not only doesn't speak but also has a quote without "quotation marks," that would just go against what we've established. Of course, it'd be hilarious if you could somehow fit that idea (and one or both "quotes") in the bio, as a sort of quirk relative to the Companion Cube.

More feedback on Red:

- "a place of open county" --> You mean country, right?

Similarly, the Gold and Silver, FireRed and LeafGreen, and HeartGold and SoulSilver titles can be separated. The Pictured from line, however, can reflect both titles.

Not entreily sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

I mean the paired titles can be split/sorted like this:

=== Game Boy ===

Pokémon Red (1996)

Pokémon Blue (1996)

=== Game Boy Color ===

Pokémon Gold (1999)

Pokémon Silver (1999)

=== Game Boy Advance ===

Pokémon FireRed (2004)

Pokémon LeafGreen (2004)

=== Nintendo DS ===

Pokémon HeartGold (2009)

Pokémon SoulSilver (2009)

Notice how Red is linked but Blue isn't. This is what I meant when I said OCR files mixes under only one title. And since Red's appearance in FireRed is the same as LeafGreen, both titles can stay in his Pictured from line.

- Your Bulbapedia link is a thorough and extensive resource on Red's character and all, and while the Wikipedia link does have only a small bit on him, it includes info on the other characters brought up in the bio (Gym Leaders, Team Rocket, etc.) which would act as a supplement.

The important thing is you've done your research (thumbs up) and cited the most relevant links. That's good. Just fix that initial bit early on and separate the paired titles (unless you still have questions about it) and Red's bio should be all set.

- "a place of open county" --> You mean country, right?

Yep. It's should be "of open country" (ie, fields of grass and forests and all that naturey stuff). Minor typo.

I mean the paired titles can be split/sorted like this:

Changed.

Notice how Red is linked but Blue isn't. This is what I meant when I said OCR files mixes under only one title. And since Red's appearance in FireRed is the same as LeafGreen, both titles can stay in his Pictured from line.

Gotcha.

- Your Bulbapedia link is a thorough and extensive resource on Red's character and all, and while the Wikipedia link does have only a small bit on him, it includes info on the other characters brought up in the bio (Gym Leaders, Team Rocket, etc.) which would act as a supplement.

So that link should be fine, then.

Red

ocr_mascot_165.png

Article by: The Damned

Pictured from: Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen

Created by: Game Freak

First appearance: 1996

Bio

Red is the first protagonist of the Pokémon game series. His playable appearances are limited to being the player character in both the original Game Boy games Red, Blue and Yellow, and the Game Boy Advance remakes, Fire Red and Leaf Green. He also appears as the final trainer atop Mount Silver in Gold, Silver and Crystal, as well as their remakes, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Red also makes cameos in other Nintendo titles, such as Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Red began his journey though his homeland of Kanto, a place of open country and bustling cities. Professor Oak, the leading expert on creatures called Pokémon, enlisted Red to aid his research. Given the task of finding and capturing as many Pokémon as he could, Red headed out onto an adventure of exploration, discovery and action.

Red isn't known for speaking much, instead preferring to converse in simple "Yes" and "No" responses to most characters. Most of the time, the person(s) he is engaged with will simply continue to speak without interruption until they are done. This may make Red seem timid, but the truth is, he is highly skilled in Pokémon battling. Red has easily defeated not only the eight Kanto Gym Leaders, highly skilled trainers specializing in certain types of Pokémon, but also the Elite Four, the highest ranked trainers in the land. Red also single-handedly defeated the criminal organization Team Rocket, trainers who use Pokémon as tools and weapons to spread their influence across the land.

Upon his victory against the Elite Four, he was crowned the Indigo League Champion. Seeking ever higher skill, he trained on top of the vicious, snow-capped peak of Mount Silver, waiting for a challenger worthy enough to reach him. In the sequel games, the player can only face Red after defeating the Gym Leaders of both the Kanto and Johto regions, and the Elite Four. But even then, he has had three years to hone his skills and raise his team, making this battle one of he most difficult of the entire series.

Aside from his vast collection of Pokémon, Red also has access to several useful tools. He has a collapsible bicycle for speedy transportation; a backpack filled with Pokéballs for catching wild Pokémon; Technical and Hidden Machines, devices used to teach Pokémon new attacks; and the exclusive Pokédex, a device that records all known information on any Pokémon that Red encounters and captures. These tools and his highly trained team of Pokémon have allowed to advance the understanding of Pokémon greatly.

=== Game Boy ===

Pokémon Red (1996)

Pokémon Blue (1996)

Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (1998 )

=== Game Boy Color ===

Pokémon Gold (1999)

Pokémon Silver (1999)

Pokémon Crystal (2000)

=== Game Boy Advance ===

Pokémon FireRed (2004)

Pokémon LeafGreen (2004)

=== Wii ===

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008 )

=== DS ===

Pokémon HeartGold (2009)

Pokémon SoulSilver (2009)

References

Bulbapedia - "Red (Game)"

Wikipedia - "List of Pokémon Characters"

Yeah, so after some corrections here and there, and removing the more superfluous game appearances, I think this is more detailed without having too much clutter.

This is über-rough, I just wanted to throw it out there so you can tell me what you think (will fix formatting and such things later). I'm fairly happy with the overall structure of it, though I'm sure my wording is awkward at times. I also put things I didn't know how to write in brackets for now:

Weighted Companion Cube

ocr_mascot_158.png

In 2007, Valve, the creators of the hugely successful Half-Life line of games, released Portal - a first person shooter based not on combat, but on solving various puzzles in order to proceed. The protagonist, Chell, is a test subject at a laboratory called the Enrichment Center, which is run by GLaDOS, an eccentric supercomputer AI. Throughout the game, GLaDOS overwatches and talks to Chell as she proceeds through several very potentially lethal test chambers, using a portal gun to create portals that link one part of the test chamber to another.

Most of the puzzles in the game involve cubes, typically used to activate floor buttons to open doors. However, the Weighted Companion Cube, decorated with pink hearts, is introduced in one of the later puzzles, where GLaDOS informs Chell that the cube will accompany her throughout the test chamber and asks her to take care of it. GLaDOS then reveals that previous test subjects have started perceiving the inanimate cube as alive, and reminds Chell that "the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab [her] and, in fact, cannot speak." The Companion Cube is used for more than just pushing buttons - among other things, as a stepping stone in an otherwise impossible to climb staircase and as a shield against lethal, flying energy balls. As GLaDOS suggests, it is Chell's only friend, or at least the closest to one she gets at this point in the game. At the end of the level, one that requires that same cube to be used to solve most parts of it, Chell is forced to drop the cube into a fiery pit for "euthanizing" in order to continue to the next test chamber, an act which GLaDOS suggests has been at great moral difficulty to previous test subjects.

As Portal's popularity grew, the Weighted Companion Cube eventually became its mascot of sorts, leading Valve to create merchandise such as fuzzy dice and plush toys based on it.

Links:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Portal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game)

http://orange.half-life2.com/portal.html

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Companion_Cube

Appearances:

http://ocremix.org/game/561/portal-win

Edited by Dafydd

Asking the creator of that timeline thread about what was posted, he had a few things to point out.

The most important thing I need to fix is instead of it ending with "sealed himself up for a century," it should be changed to "sealed himself for a century or so" or something. Is that okay?

Edited by Mirby

Tips for the Weighted Companion Cube:

- "solving various puzzles getting from one place to another" --> In spoken English, a pair of consecutive descriptive actions (with -ing gerunds) doesn't sound weird, but when written, it can cause one to do a double take. It would read better as "in order to get from..." or "and get from..." or similar.

- "The protagonist - Chell - is..." --> I'm sure commas would work fine here ("The protagonist, Chell, is..."). Dashes add extra weight to something, whereas commas are more neighborly/friendly.

- [trying to think of a good way to describe its personality here without saying too much] --> cunningly advanced? almost human? promises cake?

- The second sentence is kinda run-on. You can split it into two and have one noting the protagonist, the lab, and GLaDOS, and the other starting "Throughout the game, GLaDOS overwatches and talks to Chell as she..." Or, you can include GLaDOS interacting with her in one sentence, and then have the next say "Chell proceeds... using a Portal Gun to..."

- "to create portals from one part of the test chamber to another" --> This too sounds fine when spoken but odd when written. You can try "to create portals to teleport from one part..." or "portals that link one part..."

- For GLaDOS's line, the quote mark can surround the outside of the period ("cannot speak.")

- Add "it's (also) used" before "as a stepping stone" because the cube's uses aren't just a list - they carry on the sentence after the dash.

- "...impossible to climb staircase, and as a shield..." --> you can cut the period because this part of the sentence describes two uses grouped after the button-pushing usage.

- "which is a fairly long one" --> I'm not sure what purpose this serves - the fact that the cube is used extensively should suffice to give the reader an idea of the level's intricacy/challenge.

- euthanization --> It's actually euthanizing or euthanatizing.

Not bad thus far. Hope you sort out some of the stuff in [brackets] while touching it up in format and all.

Should be "through", right?

Of course. Fixed.

The most important thing I need to fix is instead of it ending with "sealed himself up for a century," it should be changed to "sealed himself for a century or so" or something. Is that okay?

Even if it's not strictly 100 years, a century can describe that much time in a "give or take" manner (even Wikipedia says "approximately" and "roughly"). The current wording should be fine.

I'd say "eccentric" there, Dafydd. That should be an apt spoiler-free description.

Also, apparently my friend there pointed out that his slumber was interrupted for the Elf Wars (Zero-series backstory) and then he went back into slumber after it. But apparently it was a total of 102 years. Meh, close enough.

Crap, I meant the comma, not period. Usually, adding a comma to separate two clauses/ideas in a sentence would unnecessarily slow it down. Example:

"A tool is used as one substitute and as a second one."

"A tool is used as one substitute, and as a second one."

Looking at your sentence again, however, it's probably more preference than rule. I think I'm just used to going by the former example, similar to how I use commas in lists ("one, two, and three items" as opposed to "one, two and three items"). You can keep it as is.

Other notes:

- I understand "Aperture Science" is part of the name of the research facility and the portal gun, but a lot of websites don't include it as part of the mascot's full name. And searching for "Companion Cube" shows results that generally add "Weighted" as a prefix. So your original 3-word name for the mascot was the more popular/established (I suggest we go with that). If you'd like, you can add "Aperture Science" somewhere in the article.

- "Portal Gun" --> This can be lowercase (portal gun) since it's describing the tool without its full "Aperture Science" title.

- percieving --> perceiving (I before E except after C and all that)

- Even if a quote contains the beginning of the sentence being quoted, the starting letter should be lowercase when it's in the middle of the sentence that quotes it (so lowercase the T in "The" in GLaDOS's line). It's like how "you" is changed to "[her]" in order to tweak the quote for the benefit of the reader.

- The second reference link ends in Portal_(video_game (so add the closing parenthesis).

Looking better. After these fixes, you can have the honor of uploading it to the Wiki under the name you're more comfortable with (Weighted Companion Cube or Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube) while fixing the format and adding Portal's release year and yada yada.

Edited by Polo

Thanks again, Polo. I'm still not finished with this, so I really appreciate all and any input.

I actually took an English class last term (mostly to get some easy credits), and we were taught about the "I before E except after C" - never heard that before - but I still tend to misspell those words pretty often.

About the comma you mentioned, I removed it, because it's the Uhmerican thing to do. In Swedish, we would write it as "ett, två, och tre" (otherwise it would look to us as if "två och tre" was an entity separate from "ett"), but in English you would write it as "one, two and three", so I did as you said, since the article is, after all, in English.

Made another few changes. I'm going to stare at this for a while longer before I upload it.

There's another quote that would look better, if a quote is to be used for the cube:

"In the event that the Weighted Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice."

But it still contains "the Enrichment Center". So maybe if we change that to (no quotation marks)

In the event that the Weighted Companion Cube does speak, we urge you to disregard its advice.

Maybe this still isn't a good idea. I wanted it to be a little prank, like that animated picture for ToeJam & Earl we used to have on OCR. Maybe the fact that was removed and replaced with a still (at about the same time that UnMod was removed) should be a hint I'm out of line... OCR is oh so grown-up nowadays :)

Edited by Dafydd

For one of the newest additions to the OCR-mascots. Feedback is much appreciated. :)

Zephyr

ocr_mascot_167.png

Article by: Tensei-San

Pictured from: Heroes of Newerth

Created by: S2 Games (no OCR entry yet)

First appearance: 2010

Bio

Zephyr is one of 60+ playable heroes in the PC game Heroes of Newerth. While the game is based on a Warcraft 3 modification called "Defense of the Ancients", and borrows many ideas and elements from it, Zephyr is a completely original creation by S2 Games.

According to the ingame lore, Zephyr is part of the Beast Horde, a faction of anthropomorphic animals who have allied themselves with the human Legion to combat the nefarious Hellbourne faction, and defend the land of Newerth. Zephyr does not have a lot of characterization, but he is described as a riddler, a sage, and a lover of sweets. In combat he is simply known as the warrior of the winds. Zephyr's design is based on the looks of real-life horned owls.

Ingame, Zephyr utilizes his windbased powers for both offense and defense, allowing him, for example, to blow his enemies into a desired direction, or using a wind shield to deflect blows and increase his movement speed. Zephyr's ultimate skill conjures a huge typhoon that slows down and damages any enemies caught within, dealing more damage the closer they are to the center.

Zephyr is a popular and strong pick, and isn't hard to learn even for newer players. His cyclones allow him to heal himself up, farm very quickly, and his wind shield gives him great resilience, making him a hero that's quite balanced on both offense and defense.

Zephyr is enjoys considerable popularity among the Heroes of Newerth community due to his relatively goofy appearance, which made him the focal point of several forum memes, such as "party-time Zephyr", depicting Zephyr surrounded by rainbows and disco balls, and a variation on "Haters gonna hate", featuring a picture of a decidedly smug-looking Zephyr.

"Whoop!"

=== PC ===

Heroes of Newerth (2010)

References

Zephyr on the official Heroes of Newerth site.

What do you know, I got my laptop's internet working again. And the problem was deceptively simple. *sigh* Anyway, I call dibs on Kefka from FF6. But first...

Dafydd - That new quote is also hilarious, but in the end, I think the original one fits the context better.

And yeah, OCR's a big boy now. Copyrights no longer include pudding snacks, the clown-bashing GIF left the Combatribes ReMix page, and the Toyota Supra does not say "Vroom vroom?" according to our refined rules on quotes.

The bio section reads well enough to me, but if you need more time to look it over, that's fine.

Tensei-San - Some pointers for Zephyr:

- Here's the company in OCR's database. Link it up.

- Warcraft 3 --> Warcraft III (the title uses Roman numerals)

- Both instances of "ingame" would look better with a hyphen (in-game).

- "the human Legion" --> This could be read either as a human named Legion or the official name of a group of humans. Careful with it.

- "Hellbourne faction, and defend" --> Cut the comma because the Beast Horde has 2 objectives laid out before them, not a list of 3 or more.

- "windbased" could also use a hyphen (wind-based).

- "using a wind shield" --> "use a wind shield" (since the previous description also uses the infinitive form)

- "Zephyr's ultimate skill conjures" --> Sounds like the skill, not Zephyr, conjures the attack. You can try "Zephyr's ultimate skill involves him conjuring..." or similar. Just make it clear the owl is the one in control of the move.

- "heal himself up" --> You can cut "up" because "heal up" sounds awkward when "heal (himself)" would be simpler.

- "farm very quickly" --> Uh... what? I'm confused.

- Paragraph 4 can be combined with paragraph 3 to finish detailing Zephyr's skills and how he handles for beginners. Also, the mention that he's popular can be left to paragraph 5.

- "Zephyr is enjoys" --> Cut "is" ;)

- Personal nitpick: Your last single-sentence paragraph brings up "Zephyr" 4 times. Try changing the second two to "him" or "the owl" or something for variation.

- Does Zephyr say something more human-like? If so, you can change it to that. But if he only emits animal-like sounds that aren't exactly unique to him, then leave out his quote.

- PC isn't in OCR's systems list, so we say Windows (or DOS or whatever) in the appearance lists.

- Bios require at least 2 reference links, so add another one about Zephyr and/or the game.

Lots of little notes, I know. But I think he's a pretty interesting character even though I never played Heroes of Newerth. Polish up the bio for great justice.

Liontamer - Do you mean links to the newly uploaded bios like Zero and Red, as well as who's claimed which mascot and has a WIP? Dafydd can probably update the first post with that info, if he's okay with it. Or do you have something else in mind?

P.S. Can you get djp to add the blue Tap Runner already? He's now over a year late.

Mirby - No dice. A few problems with that link:

1) It's more than half action-based entertainment than simplified detail critical to Zero's character/backstory. Reference links stress further READING rather than WATCHING.

2) You said yourself it's a bit different from what you wrote/researched. I don't really see Zero using Sigma's pride or confidence against him. And the W appears before Sigma bashes in Zero's helmet. It's a disservice to point readers to evidence that says "no, actually, it didn't play out that way" in contrast with the details you include in a bio.

3) YouTube comments don't guarantee consistent relevance to the movie or what it presents (lulz and spam and video quotes and all that).

Also, for future reference, it's important to have every fact, reference link, and so forth laid out in a bio BEFORE it's entered into the Wiki rather than bringing up stuff posthumously. We don't entertain adjustments in the wording unless it hinders the basic flow and understanding of a mascot, and reference links are only updated if they get broken or changed. (If a citation vanishes for good, we search for a fitting replacement, but the info provided must be as accurate as possible and cannot conflict with what the bio says or confuse the reader.)