OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Thanks for your help, guys. I have alerted both Mr. Lloyd and Mr. Oji to our completion, your words added alongside. Now we wait.

Also, I noticed something spooky about our forum ID numbers:

3191 = Dafydd

9791 = Linearity

10791 = watkinzez

11791 = Polo

Spoooooooooky.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention... we can leave the Rival Schools Network link alone. No need to swap it. (Wikipedia even said that the Justice Network link is biased and not fit for their external links section [heh], so unless djp and LT bitch about the RSN link being down, we don't need to worry about it for now.)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's what I kept saying for months on end without actually doing anything, so I can't really blame LT for this thing taking so long. Personally, I want this up as soon as possible for the sake of the site, and for the fact that... well, we're finally done, and even so, no one can enjoy the fruits of our (though not so much mine, actually) hard labor until the bios are uploaded into the wiki. And it would make a sweet christmas present for the community. I think. How complicated would it be to set up a few restricted accounts for the wiki anyway? Is it a technical issue or an organizational issue? Or a security one?

Yeah, that's what I kept saying for months on end without actually doing anything, so I can't really blame LT for this thing taking so long. Personally, I want this up as soon as possible for the sake of the site, and for the fact that... well, we're finally done, and even so, no one can enjoy the fruits of our (though not so much mine, actually) hard labor until the bios are uploaded into the wiki. And it would make a sweet christmas present for the community. I think. How complicated would it be to set up a few restricted accounts for the wiki anyway? Is it a technical issue or an organizational issue? Or a security one?

The issues were figuring out whether we wanted to do this via Wiki or another database option, as well as both djp and I being free to work on this compared to everything else going on. Sorry for the wait.

Dave has added Dafydd, Linearity & Polo to the OCRWiki. You 3 are the ones most involved and whom I trust the most to input the bios. In the event that the email message didn't work to send you your passwords, I will PM all 3 of you with the info later.

I'll be overseeing all the work on the bios. For now, do not edit anything into the Wiki just yet, even the Totyota Supra bio :-). I want to give you guys guidelines tomorrow/Sunday on how to add everything, along with some other Wiki format and linking issues.

It also goes without saying that you guys are only to work on Mascots and not other areas of the Wiki, so at the risk of sounding like an asshole, y'all can't edit anywhere else under any circumstances.

Thanks so much for all the hard work to you guys and everyone who contributed. The addition of these bios really enhance OCR, and I can't wait until everything's included!

I got the e-mail. Nice to see the ball is finally almost rolling! Looking forward to those guidelines - it really would be nice to get this done before christmas. I understand your concerns about the other areas of the wiki - I'll stay out - promise. :wink:

Man, I'm really looking forward to wrapping this thing up... na'mean?

Think you could forward the info you got in your PM to me? I still haven't got one. I have an activated account at the wiki, but no guidelines or anything.

How are we going to do this anyway? Can someone who knows how to make wiki pages make one to use as a template (if anything needs to be changed from the ones we already have in .txt files), and then we split the work up so that we do 50 or so each to begin with and then whoever gets done with his share first can help the others with theirs if he wants to?

Also, and LT might have said something about this in his PM, but, are we going to make pages in the wiki named i.e. "mascot046" and then redirect thpse pages directly to their respective wiki article i.e. "Joanna_Dark" in order to facilitate things for DJP in his making the mascot images on the site header into links to the wiki articles?

split the work up

Not counting the Toyota Supra bio, there are 156 articles set to be Wiki'ed. 156 divided among 3 people is 52 bios per, so one person can handle everything in the first 5 text files plus Cloud Strife in my text file, another can do Sol Badguy through Ken Masters, and the last one can take what's left. If you guys have no objections, I can write in the last 52 (Akuma - LocoRoco) plus the fixes for the Toyota Supra (when LT gives the green light of course).

Also, I'd recommend keeping the links to the other mascots as bold text until every article is written, so we won't have to worry about who Wiki'ed what and whether said links will break or not. We can also ask Larry how to align the .jpgs on the right of the pages at that point.

whoever gets done with his share first
I'd rather 2 or 3 of y'all worked in tandem.

I'm guessing simultaneous work - even if we're inputting different articles - is out of the question. Does it screw up the system or something?

First, all that was in my PM was my wiki password. I meant that I had not gotten the password otherwise but that now I can get into the wiki. That means that I am still waiting, just as you are, for Liontamer to tell us how he wants the wiki editing done.

Second, I see no reason why we couldn't all work at the same time. If the software is like MediaWiki on Wikipedia, then we can work simultaneously. If this isn't possible, the software is overly restrictive.

I never actually got a password for my wiki account...

If LT didn't tell you, try this:

1) Type your username when it asks you to log in / create a Wiki account, but leave the password line blank.

2) Click the "E-mail password" button.

3) You'll get a confirmation message that your password - a temporary one - has been emailed to you. Go fetch.

4) Log into the Wiki using your username and given password. You should be directed to a "Change password" page.

5) Type the password you want twice, click to proceed, and you should be logged in.

I see no reason why we couldn't all work at the same time. If the software is like MediaWiki on Wikipedia, then we can work simultaneously. If this isn't possible, the software is overly restrictive.

I must've misunderstood Larry's "in tandem" remark then. *shrug*

Just to clarify the bio count, there's 51 bios across the 5 .txt files you guys are hosting:

http://www.ngst.nu/OCR_Mascot_Bio_Edits_1-10.txt

http://www.ngst.nu/OCR_Mascot_Bio_Edits_11-20.txt

http://www.ngst.nu/OCR_Mascot_Bio_Edits_21-30.txt

http://www.ngst.nu/OCR_Mascot_Bio_Edits_31-40.txt

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Edastuart/OCR_Mascot_Bios_41-50.txt

And mine has 105 articles (counting The Coop's extended Darkstalker histories and Darkstalkers "What Is"):

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/polo83/OCR_Mascot_Bio_Edits_51-154.txt

Lin and I can just reach into my text file and grab 52 articles each, and Dafydd can add Cloud to his list (alongside the 51 in the first 5 batches).