OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Eh, I can pull off some more wakey-eyed moments.

I don't see a single change to the draft you showed me before I made my comments. Are you linking the right text file? Maybe if you checked to overwrite it when uploading the improved version with the same name...

Edit: Whoa, there we go! Okay, let's see what we got here...

Edit 2: The only fixes left (unless you disagree with them) are:

Doom Trooper

- Old Doom --> OldDoom.com (the site favors one word with the "dot com" suffix)

Vega

- Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (there's an apostrophe / prime symbol after the "2" in the title)

Sora

- The Game Boy Advance appearance (2004) can go under the PlayStation 2 list (2002).

And that's it. :nicework:

I cleared my cache (I wondered if that was why I didn't see the changes you made at first). The other two fixes are there; the ' symbol is still missing.

Champion Edition (and Hyper Fighting) includes the apostrophe / prime symbol in its title. Look at these two pages. It's read "Street Fighter Two Dash: Champion Edition" in Japan, indicating that there's something between the number II and the word Champion (besides the colon).

Hey guys. Long time no see. With the current discussion about the infamous Doom guy, I thought I'd try and offer a little possible help...

- The Doom trooper appears in another game... Quake 3. He's a default character, along with a female version named Crash (supposedly his training instructor), and another Space Marine named Phobos.

- I've played the hell out of the DOS and Windows versions of Doom, and I've never seen him appear at the end of a level. When a level ends, you go straight to a map of your current episode, and the percentages are tallied. After that, the next level starts. The only time I can recall ever seeing his green suit, is on the dead Space Marines that are scattered around the various levels. Maybe I missed something?

- I tried that paragraph you guys were talking about...

"Ironically, little is known about the Doom Trooper, the main character of one of the most widely known computer game series ever: Doom. Most know him by little things, such as the sound of his voice when he's injured, his many facial expressions, and the blood that gradually covers his face as he's wounded. They also know his familiar green suit, thanks to the many dead Space Marines that lay scattered about in the games four episodes."

Thoughts?

Hi Coop. Nice to know you're still swinging 'round these parts.

+ I wasn't aware of the Doom guy's Quake 3 appearance. That kind of catch warrants a clean-up of the last sentence in his bio, which says that Duke Nukem 3D is his only other appearance.

· You didn't miss any more than I did regarding his space suit at the ends of levels; I brought it up earlier and Dafydd said it shows up in Doom 95 (I haven't played it though, so I took his word for it).

+ The 2nd sentence in your version of paragraph 1 reads more clearly than other versions we've tried; it's shorter, more fluid, and doesn't try to confuse the reader.

- "They also know his familiar green suit" sounds subtly repetitive, coupling the words "know" and "familiar." I think it would work better to say "They also know his green space suit"; that's what he's wearing, since he's on the moon Phobos.

- I had to check the use of lay vs. lie, and according to Dictionary.com:

Lay is most commonly a transitive verb and takes an object... If "place" or "put" can be substituted in a sentence, a form of lay is called for: Lay the folders on the desk. The mason is laying brick. She laid the baby in the crib.

Lie, with the overall senses "to be in a horizontal position, recline" and "to rest, remain, be situated, etc.," is intransitive and takes no object... (I)ts past tense form is identical with the present tense or infinitive form of lay: Lie down, children. Abandoned cars were lying along the road. The dog lay in the shade and watched the kittens play.

So the latter is preferred: "...the many dead Space Marines that lie scattered about..."

- "...in the games four episodes." Did you mean "in the first game's three episodes"? I only remember Knee-Deep in the Dead, The Shores of Hell, and Inferno. I also added an apostrophe for you.

Dafydd can fit these updates in before LT checks his PMs for the first 10 completely (?) edited bios.

· You didn't miss any more than I did regarding his space suit at the ends of levels; I brought it up earlier and Dafydd said it shows up in Doom 95 (I haven't played it though, so I took his word for it).

I went back and played through a few levels of Doom using the "95" executable before I posted earlier, and it does the same thing as the DOS version... hit the switch to leave, go to a map screen for tallying, and then start the next level. There's no image of the Doom Guy there.

The only image of him that I can think of, is with the ending of the episode, "Thy Flesh Consumed". It has the Doom Guy holding a severed rabbit's head.

- "They also know his familiar green suit" sounds subtly repetitive, coupling the words "know" and "familiar." I think it would work better to say "They also know his green space suit"; that's what he's wearing, since he's on the moon Phobos.

- "...in the games four episodes." Did you mean "in the first game's three episodes"? I only remember Knee-Deep in the Dead, The Shores of Hell, and Inferno. I also added an apostrophe for you.

The final episode is "Thy Flesh Consumed". It's the fourth one that was made available for download in 1995. If you don't want to include that episode, and keep it as the game's original three episodes, then you can adjust the text appropriately to "three episodes".

As for the questionable line, how about this...

"They also know his iconic green suit, thanks to the many dead Space Marines that lie scattered about in the game's original three episodes, and the ending of the later released fourth episode, 'Thy Flesh Consumed'."

There's no screenshot button in doom95 afaik and print scrn doesn't work either, but I assure you he pops up with the stats after each level, just like duke. I'm not lying here :) However, I'm ok with skipping that "after each level" thingy, as should be evident when reading the bio. Good input though, and thanks for looking by, Coop.

There's no screenshot button in doom95 afaik and print scrn doesn't work either, but I assure you he pops up with the stats after each level, just like duke. I'm not lying here :) However, I'm ok with skipping that "after each level" thingy, as should be evident when reading the bio. Good input though, and thanks for looking by, Coop.

Oh, I never accused you of lying, but in the years I've been playing Doom in Doom95 (both the original version, and the one from Doom: The Collector's Edition), I've never once seen this end of level image you're talking about. It's always been a map of the episode.

There is a way to enable screenshots in Doom 95. Make a shortcut to the Doom 95 executable, and in the "Target" line, add...

-DEVPARM

... after the quotation marks. You then use F1 to take a screenshot, and open the pcx files in Photoshop (or a similar graphics program). It's not perfect, but it's better than the print screen method. Here's the screenshot I took in the original Doom 95 program.

Now I'm all curious to see this thing :lol:

Edit: Are you referring to this image, which is from Doom 95 when it initially starts up?

No, not that one. What kind of strange version am I playing here??? :shock:

.pcx, huh? Like I said, I tried using print screen earlier, but pasting it into Paint.NET didn't work, and as it happens, Paint.NET can't handle pcx. I'll try using photoshop next time and if that doesn't work I'll give your way a shot.

EDIT: OK, here it is. Too bad it's only grayscale, since that kind of defeats my point... This is when playing the TNT campaign, I only have that and Plutonia.

DOOM01.gif

No, not that one. What kind of strange version am I playing here??? :shock:

.pcx, huh? Like I said, I tried using print screen earlier, but pasting it into paint .NET didn't work, and as it happens, paint .NET can't handle pcx. I'll try using photoshop next time and if that doesn't work I'll give your way a shot.

Yeah, MS Paint isn't good for much beyond telling messed up stories ;-)

Photoshop can open pcx files without any problems. You just have to save the image as a web-friendly file type. PCX is a weird image file type that I've seen a lot of with MUGEN when you save all of a character's animation frames into individual files using the MCM (MUGEN Character Maker) program. Not sure what the significance of the file type is, but...

That he did show up after each level (at least on my machine). Or didn't you see the pic? It's on the previous page...

Ahaaaaahhhhhhhh... and so it all becomes clear now. We were talking about different games, as if they were the same one. Let me show you...

UDoom.pngDoom/Ultimate Doom

Doom2.pngDoom II

FDoom_Evilution.pngFinal Doom: TNT-Evilution

FDoom_ThePlutoniaExp.pngFinal Doom: The Plutonia Experiment

Each game uses a different screen for the background when the percentages are being tallied up. I was talking about Doom/Ultimate Doom, you were talking about Final Doom: TNT-Evilution. That's where we got some wires got crossed *lol*

Edit: Damned four image limit. I can't even post a smiley now? :(