*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Brambly Gates'

OceansAndrew

Remixer: HoboKa

Composer: David Wise

Source tune: Bramble Scramble

Remix: Brambly Gates

Link:

Description:

Made a light, airy remix of the source tune, and tried pretty hard to get the cleanest sound I could, out of the drums,

I'm still working on my EQ skills, so it might still need some work, idk. Hopefully, it's OCR-worthy arrangement wise too.

Cheers

Alex... how should I put this... the sounds you've chosen here just aren't very cohesive :\ It gets better as you add more instruments in, but from the start, the distorted, crushed synths/drums and the low-quality string samples just don't fit. It sounds like you're trying to get a bit of a grunge flavor in the track but the rest of the soundscape doesn't jive with that. In general, this sounds like a track that doesn't really have a strong sense of direction or identity. The drums sound kind of grungy, kind of retro, the synths sound kind of serene and kind of harsh, and it's not necessarily unpleasant to listen to but it just feels very... ambivalent.

Mixing-wise, I think you did a pretty good job EQing your sounds though, everything is very clear and audible, nothing is too muddy. Great work on that :-)

Arrangement wise, you play it pretty close to the source. To your credit there's plenty of moments of personalization in the melody and I think the arrangement here is borderline OCR material. Still, the conservativeness in the instrument choices and the structure/melodies isn't really working in favor of the track either.

If this was solely an experiment in doing better EQ work, I'd say it was pretty successful. However, overall I'm just not really feeling this remix. Sorry dude :-(

NO

• 2 months later...

On some levels i agree with Emu, but to me, it was like 1 min of source, then 1:45 of loosely connected original material. Just when i think i hear dominant source for a few notes, it goes off to some thing else. Drums i wasnt really feeling in context, but a lot of the synths felt right to me. Production is close, but really my issue is the lack of dominant source for almost 2/3 of the track. It is A good resub candidate, but it needs way more dominant source.

no, please resubmit

I agree with Emu, it sounds like you're focusing on individual sounds rather then how or even if they fit together. Ends up feeling to a bunch of presets whacked together rather then a designed mix. You've got to do your synth choice and subsequent mixing holistically.

From about 1:30 onwards, the only thing linking it to the source is the "do do, do, do do" thing. If that wasn't there it could be anything really. All the way to the end at that point the track looses it's direction and becomes a bit of a meander. So I think there's still a way to go on both the production and arrangement fronts.

NO

Yeah, the opening's going to sound competant, because it's just verbatim with the source tune. After a few seconds of what's basically a MIDI rip, then the source's foundation alone is basically copied, including much of the supporting writing. So much of the structure is merely ripped from the source tune, it's disappointing.

When you tried to get interpretive with the melody at :21, the notes resolve decently, but they're just weird variations that don't really flow. From 2:07-on, you're just writing this solo-ing style stuff with the lead synth that noodles for a bit before resolving with a verbatim piece of the theme.

I dunno, maybe one day you'll get that whole approach to click, but this isn't that day. There's so much in the arrangement where the structure and instrumentation aren't meaningfully different from the source, and those are basically the only parts that were melodious. On top of the other structure and production crits, this just isn't cohesive enough.

As per previous subs, I know you have problems as far as an ear for melodious writing, and I don't mean that as a knock. But even if you wholesale copy some aspects of the source tune as a framework, you still need to present more substantial personalization of the sounds into something more unique, and then build from there with other interpretive ideas for the source tune itself.

NO