Sampling the original in a OC remix?

Caesura

I think it all depends on how you pull it off. Keep in mind that many newbs here (and on youtube) just put a drum rhythm over the source and it sounds AWFUL. like the music exists in two different spaces at once. If you are going to take a few clips from a game that might be ok. There was a big fad for Street Fighter Remixes back a few years ago to cut up the various vocal bits into a rhythmic pattern. The bad thing about that is if I here HADOKEN, HA-HA-HADOOOOKEN one more freaking time...

It would be better and more flexible to find a synth that emulates the sound chip of the system of the game you are working on. I have a really nice free one for the Sega Genesis called VOPM if you want to google for that one. That way you can remake parts of the source to be specific to your remix making your music artistically valid and not risk pissing off your listeners with a loosely fitting drum pattern on the source. That's too simple.

I think they call those Mash Ups or something right?

Hahhah sorry I should have been clearer before. I'm not just going to put a drum track over it, i've sort of mixed the sample down by putting it through a vinyl sim and added other stuff. Its not really the main attraction of the song. Its just a little repetitive sample.

I know exactly what you mean about the newbies adding drum tracks :)

I just thought maybe it would conflict with copyright or something

Well, newbie drum tracks are specifically shot down in the submissions page, so that's well covered. Your question covers a bit of a grey area on here.

It's really something that's taken on a case-by-case basis on here. If the samples are used in a creative way that contribute to the track without dominating the track, then it will probably be alright. The best approach to take is to make the track and bring it to one of the moderators or judges and asking them if it's acceptable. There's no hard and fast rule against sampling the music - you'll just have to use your intuition and ask if the samples are being used in a creative and non-obstructive manner for the rest of your remix.

If they're supplementary in nature and are not too prevalent (the standards do specify the music shouldn't primarily be made of game SFX, which includes sampled music), then go for it. Just check in with someone before you submit, is all.

Taking the original game audio and simply adding drum loops or using an existing MIDI file and assigning new instruments does not qualify as substantial or original arrangement.

Using original audio has been done, to different extents. it may be discouraged, but not disqualifying. If you're using it for a sound design reason, I don't see why it'd be a problem (every track here is a derivative work anyway). If you're using it as a crutch to make the remix work, it probably won't do. Until we hear it we really can't say, tho.

I suggest you show it to a judge, hear what they say.

Hmm.

Gotta admit that was not what I was expecting.

I'm not familiar with the source at all and I certainly can't speak for the judges here but you might be on to something. It all depends on how you develop it from here.

In this case, I would say to just be careful with how you use the source so it doesn't limit you. As far as I can tell, the sampled source in the background provides most of the direction of the piece while an e-piano is improvising on top of it. This could run the risk of narrowing your creativity if you rely on the source to carry you through the remix.

More is needed to tell for sure but I dig it so far.