*NO* Castlevania 2 'Bloody Tears'

djpretzel

Remixer Name: Cody Powell

Email: chode_master@hotmail.com

Game Remixed: Castlevania 2

Song: Bloody Tears

Remix attached to email: CastleVania 2 Bloody Tears OC ReMix.mp3 (3.89 MB)

Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/castle~1.zip - Track 2 ("Bloody Tears")

Not a terrible intro, though it's made up of generic sounds admist one other more interesting synth. Ah man, it's got the tacky overused cymbal shots. Bah. Then we get the oom-tss showcase at :38. Sorry, but as an electronica cover, this is just generic and plain in every way.

At least the chorus at 1:33 was cool with that single lead on it's own briefly, but really, who gets the credit for that? Club Kukeiha does. Could have been cool based on the source tune alone, but "Bloody Shame" is more like it. Short, generic for the genre, and uncreative & undeveloped arrangement.

NO

I thought this was going pretty well until the main melody came in at around 1:38. After that it just got REALLY bland. Before that it seemed like the percussion was a bit more interesting, you had more harmony stuff going on (like the strings), and that constantly changing synth was nice. However, everything becomes very dull once the main melody is introduced, with the bassline basically just following the melody, and then a cameo of the original morphing synth sequence.

This is somewhat lackluster overall. As Larry said, the sounds here are really VERY plain, please do something about those. Grab some VSTs and read my synthesis guide in the Remixing 101. Also, try some brighter and sharper drum samples, or a different groove entirely to liven things up, rather than simple four on the floor. But whatever you do, focus on making a less sparse, more interesting arrangement as well. This remix was too short to do anything of note with the source tune - no significant variations, very little original material to speak of. Don't be afraid to stray from the original "Bloody Tears" and work in more of your own material, or at least change it up.

NO

The first two bars from the source get much more air time here than the other 16. Doesn't that seem a bit lopsided? If you're going to stick with just dealing with such a small portion of the source, at least do SOMETHING to expand upon it. You could have thrown a Db in the bass or a Bb, or an Eb, or even an Ab.. and those are all without having to change a single note of the pattern. If you just change one or two notes the possibilites become endless.

My guess is you stuck to this one section because you don't know how to deal with a standing melody. When the standing melody enters... everything in the same register drops out and the lead is eventually doubled by the bass with nothing else melodic taking place. You can do either one of two things.

:arrow:THING ONE: Find a source tune that is made up entirely of non melodic patterns [like the intro to bloody tears] so that you can stick to your current strengths or

:arrow:THING TWO: Work on writing accompaniment parts to standing melodies. Try it without using any drums and also not allowing any of your parts to double eachother as a shortcut. There are so many ways to go about doing this that I think it's best if you find you own strategy. It WILL happen if you just spend some time on it. Working with original material would make this more challenging, but it would also help you develope faster. GOOD LUCK!

n0

I like the low bell-like synth in the extended intro that eventually morphs into the lead. There’s some fairly engaging melodic stuff happening through 1:32 but the supporting instrumentation is very weak. The subtle thin strings and the default hi-hat aren’t enough to serve as backup, even with a very active lead. After 1:32 the problem is amplified as everything drops out except the lead and we only have a thin beat/bass combo to push this track along. Not a bad effort in general but the final result is a sparse underdeveloped track.

The intro really shows promise and I think putting some of Zircon’s and Shna’s suggestions into action is your best bet right now. Make sure to hang out at the ReMixing forum for some help beefing up your sounds. Keep working at it.

NO