*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Squids N' Fish'

Liontamer

- "Swimming BGM"

A bit torn here, or at least annoyed. :lol: As far as expansiveness and the overall premise of the arrangement, I'm all over it. This was clearly a creative approach, and a lot of people would enjoy it.

BUT... by 2 1/2 minutes, I felt like the techniques that kicked in at :40 had already been overused. I'd heard the essentially the same beat patterns, the same stuttering technique of the death sound, the same gated-type stuttering of the melodic arrangement, the same countermelodic stuttering pattern. Brief break at 1:32, then more of the same at 1:39. At least by 2:31, we finally had the source in a minor key with a different-sounding lead, though everything surrounding it was pretty much repeating.

Over the 3 1/2 minutes, the overall groove just felt way too static and repetitive. That's not to say there aren't subtle dynamic changes and dropoffs within the arrangement; it's obvious those are all over the arrangement as well. Ultimately though, those beats and techniques became too repetitive.

This needs some stronger attention to dynamics. Some of the dropoffs of the beats were encouraging, but some tempo changes, more rhythmic variations on the arranged theme, and more variation of the core beats at the foundation of the track would really help this not drag on.

The core creatively and treatment of the theme is great, Tyler, but this groove and the overall ideas are just too much on cruise control once you've established them. IMO, the overall repetition isn't justifying the length of the track. I'm sure you can spice this up some without sacrificing the overall vision you've had for this piece. I can see this potentially getting some YESes, I just don't think this is as fully developed as it could and should be.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

This mix had me smiling for sure. Happy/trippy take on the classic mario theme. But I agree with the other J's, it just needs more contrast in the flow/arrangement/sounds/something to keep from being overly repetative.

I don't think this will be a difficult one to bring back - there's really a ton of stuff you could do here (like you did in the intro).

No, resubmit please