*NO* Ristar 'Ring Job'

DragonAvenger

Ring Rink is literally the best song from Ristar, which is saying something, considering how good the entire soundtrack is.

This mix is great, but it's way too conservative for OCR. It follows the structure of the original almost exactly, taking use through two loops of the source and then some very minimal reinterpretation with some chord changes in the end.

I'd like to see some more interpretation. Maybe move the chord changes part at the end into the middle, and for heaven's sake, throw a guitar solo in there. I'm bewildered why there isn't one already. That'll help break the repetitiveness.

NO, resub

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. Yeah, pretty sweet cover. The tempo was increased and used different Genesis-y/chiptune sounds for much of the instrumentation aside from the excellent guitar, but yeah, structurally it didn't feel different ENOUGH than the original. Which is a shame, because clearly there's different partwriting in several of the chiptune parts I heard.

It's not devoid of any creative interpretation, obviously, but it needs other ideas to further differentiate the overall sound and mood of the piece more from the original. Both still sound like primarily Y2612 piece with the same structure, only the arranged version has some (great) non-chip flavor with the guitar, but that's probably the only thing that really stood out in the arrangement as having a distinctly different sound palette than the original.

It's a good piece, Ken, so I don't want that sold short, but it needs some additional creative interpretation to put it over the top, especially when the writing structure basically stayed the same. Whether that's employing some other instrumentation, adding solos, doing some sort of rhythm or tempo changeups or whatever works for you, this needs more to distinctly stand apart from the source tune.

I hope you're not discouraged and would like to either re-submit this or submit more stuff, since you know what you're doing when it comes to putting together good music. No hate on this, it's just a bit too conservative on the arrangement side, IMO.

NO (resubmit)

I hope you're not discouraged and would like to either re-submit this or submit more stuff, since you know what you're doing when it comes to putting together good music. No hate on this, it's just a bit too conservative on the arrangement side, IMO.

quoting this for well spoken truth. your music is amazing (amazing job with your recent 'tracer' album), and I sincerely hope you send us some more stuff, but the interpretation level here isn't quite in line with our standards as it is.

NO(resub)