*NO* Sonic 3D Blast (GEN) 'Enigmatic Melody' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Resub 1

Original decision

Name: Arceace

Email address:

Game: Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Genesis version)

Title: Enigmatic Melody

Original track: Rusty Ruin

Link:

Comments:

This song is becoming rather special to me. I first started working on it when I first started my remixing career last year. I have learned a lot since I first started the project, and as time has gone on, it keeps on improving. I have gone through about five different versions for the arrangement, but this is by far my favorite out of them all.

I could go on and on about the background story for this remix, but I think it would be best to let the remix show what I have learned. It has been a long journey, but I feel that it was well worth it. I want to do what it takes to make this the best it can be. Please enjoy my work.

-Arceace

• 1 month later...

I've only heard the resubmitted version, for the record. From reading the decision threads of the previous submissions, the production and mixing of your sounds are what's mainly holding this back, Ben. That's still the case now, though everything's seemingly improved from version to version. The arrangement approach is in the right direction, but the instrumentation choices and mixing still don't sound quite cohesive enough.

The intro sounded pretty sweet, though the bass around :48 felt a bit lacking in body (but got the job done). The electrosynth introduced at :53 was kind of vanilla-sounding, but serviceable. It didn't quite click with the other instrumentation. The electro-kicks started to stick out as too loud and busy at 1:27. It's got good body, but is (at least to me), too far upfront.

Interesting use of the synth pad around 1:38; it should sound warmer, and so should the piano, which are both kind of dry. Basically a repeat of :52's build and verse around 3:24 (though the different lead and the addition of the chippy sounds was sweet).

The dynamic curve of this piece was also relatively flat. The generic synths at the foundation of the mix never really changed up much once they gradually came in around :53; it was basically the synth padding, kicks, vanilla synths and piano hovering at around the same energy levels for about 4 minutes.

I'd definitely need to hear the input of other Js to better articulate these issues and may come back to this afterward, but what I can say for now is that this still isn't quite there yet. Don't be discouraged, because I think you're already maybe 75% of the way there. Your arrangement creativity is there; now the harder part is getting all the sounds and articulations to click together properly and create more dynamic contrast in the way the piece develops over time.

NO (resubmit)

I think Larry made some excellent point here that really sum up what is holding this track back at this point. I think the dynamic build and the synth details are really at the heart of the matter, and adjusting those a little more will be what gets the job done for me. Hopefully you don't hate us all for sending it back again, but I think you can really make this shine, and it will really help you see those details for your future mixes as well.

NO (resubmit, please!)

• 2 weeks later...

Very little here that I can add to what Larry said. He covered all of the points nicely, but to reiterate, the lack of any dynamics in the arrangement was probably the biggest issue here. I am definitely a fan of your part writing in this track, the arpeggios with the chiptune synth are particularly pleasant. However, I agree that the way the track is arranged as a whole just doesn't do justice to the individual sections, since there's lots of great material there.

NO (resub!)