PRC218 - Missing the Horror (Parasite Eve)

Bundeslang

I didn't manage to even listen to each of the tracks in time, but here's a little something about each track:

Hoboka - Disputed Perspectives: Creative and interpretive, successful! Very nice slowdown. I also like the use of the fake sax.

DjMokram - Spontaneous Combustion: Impressive variety of variations, and also very good, varied sound and production.

Sir NutS - Agressive Parasite: Hard-hitting beat, and good sound throughout the track. Some of the rhythms of the keyboard part in just after the midpoint of the piece isn't as groovy as it could be, but it's a good idea and close! Overall it's a solid dance piece, with good additional lead writing.

Trism - Lost Sight: Impressive PRC debut! Like many others in their votes, I too took notice of the ambient qualities this piece had and enjoyed it greatly. Those first place votes were not undeserved!

Meccaneer - Temporal Perspective: I loved the beat! Overall it's a bit too long, and the piano sound gets a little grating. Good ideas in there in any case, could stands some editing!

Obtuse - Hidden Identity: Nice piece of electronica, with an excellent sonic palette. The lead that enters has around 00:18 or so has a problem with its slow attack I think, which makes it sound messy rhythmically. The clap sound is a bit exposed, mixed a bit high and, I guess it's a bit cheap to carry the beat completely. The basic idea of the beat works however, I could stand to hear more variation and sophistication in the writing. The bird sounds fit in so well I didn't even notice them the first time I listened to it! I like also how it builds up, a little slowly, and it's a little long perhaps, but there are a lot of ideas.

Mitochondrial Groove - Chickenwarlord: The faster pace does stand out. The "midi default" piano in the beginning is pretty stiff, but there's much more attention to sound overall. There are some interesting explorations especially in the middle. Though they don't fully fit together with the source in my opinion, they have enjoyable stuff in there and could fit better with some work.

Parasitic Reave - sggod89: The guitar and rock/metal drums make this piece stand out. The synth compartment is also very well done, starting with the slightly distorted bell/electric piano in the beginning. Very moody! The tempo picks up in just the right moment. Really good change-up! The organ lead is also very fitting for the part. Good structure too.

If I had made a track this round, I would probably called it Adjective Substantive. I mean seriously, look at all the track names of this round. :D

edit: Oh, and looks like my vote - 1st: Dj Morkam, 2nd: Trism and 3rd: Hoboka - wouldn't have affected the outcome.

--Eino