Donkey Kong Country - Fear Factory remix

Here's my remix of Fear Factory, which I started early yesterday. I think the source itself is still in need of more arrangement but I played around with the harmonies, bass and such.

IMO the B section that starts at 1:09 is the most fleshed out part so far, but I'll let you be the judge. So, judge away and let me know how it is so far!

Latest WIP

http://soundcloud.com/ccricers/fear-factory-remix-2/s-gPnUr

First one

http://soundcloud.com/ccricers/fear-factory-remix/s-6VvNS

Source:

Very nice work, keep it up!

My main issue is that it doesn't seem as powerful as it could be, especially for dubstep. I feel like your drums could be stronger, more punch, the volume seems okay. I think this track could benefit from a bass with more wobble, and also more power. I feel like the whole song doesn't have enough presence.

Rockos, I'll let you in on something- the growling bass is actually from a free sample pack I took from Loopmasters. I chopped it a bit and placed it strategically on the track. That said, the bass in the second section of the melody is completely written from scratch and with synths I chose and layered. For me I find this way of writing bass parts more interesting than just throwing a wobble LFO on something.

Glad everyone generally enjoys it so far. Some good points here, though now I also have to choose between some contradicting ones. Skrypnyk says EQ and mix it to be quieter, Cash says

and presence. Wowsers!

I've heard some louder, more compressed stuff on Soundcloud produced by the pros, but it's hard to do right without getting everything to run into each other. I guess that's what Skrypnyk means by EQ. So the next step is to individually hard cut frequencies for each instrument I suppose, so I can keep the soundscape dense and not muddy.

Arrangement wise I will continue with the top down approach, just adding more of the source for length and then weaving in some original parts and modifying others.

Glad everyone generally enjoys it so far. Some good points here, though now I also have to choose between some contradicting ones. Skrypnyk says EQ and mix it to be quieter, Cash says
and presence. Wowsers!

Those points aren't contradicting. EQ isn't really about volume, but more about getting everything to fit in it's place. I said more power, not volume. Making it louder won't necessarily do that, if the parts are clashing. EQ will make the mix feel more powerful, since the parts won't be conflicting and making things muddy.

Those points aren't contradicting. EQ isn't really about volume, but more about getting everything to fit in it's place. I said more power, not volume. Making it louder won't necessarily do that, if the parts are clashing. EQ will make the mix feel more powerful, since the parts won't be conflicting and making things muddy.

I was just not aware of that first because your initial advice was more vague. So then my conclusion was correct. Killing frequencies for different parts should be my next step.

I was just not aware of that first because your initial advice was more vague. So then my conclusion was correct. Killing frequencies for different parts should be my next step.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm working on my EQ skills, you seem to be doing a better job than I. Good work so far.