*NO* EarthBound 'Kraken in the Jungle'

djpretzel

Hello,

You've got a file called "kraken in the jungle.mp3" (3138 KB) from mapleblu@gmail.com waiting for download. mapleblu@gmail.com says:

im a new remixer, my production name is maple blue, the only website link i have to offer would be my myspace account which is www.myspace.com/mapleblue if theres any info that i forgot and is needed please dont hesitate to question me.

You can click on the following link to retrieve your file. The link will expire in 7 days and will be available for a limited number of downloads.

Regular link (for all web browsers):

-----

File too big for email? Try YouSendIt at http://www.yousendit.com

Thanks, zirc! http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/mo2.rsn - "Kraken of the Sea" (mo2-097.spc)

No idea on the game, but nah. Please provide more info next time, obviously the game being remixed as a part of that. Poor attempt at happy hardcore or whatever genre this happens to be.

EDIT: Aight, so it's EB. Still a goner. Nonetheless, I love how you can listen to something and think it's completely fargone until you find out it's from EarthBound. "Oh, the original's from EarthBound? Ahhhh, ok." Anyway, zirc hit a lot of the major issues below. Right now, the ideas are...admirable...but the results aren't cohesive at all. And no, that's not hating on the genre.

NO

This is an Earthbound remix. Lots of Earthbound SFX used too. The track is "Kraken of the Sea", mo2-097.spc from the mo2.rsn file available at snesmusic.org .

"Kraken" is a very tough theme to remix because it only consists of a handful of notes. That said, while it was immediately obvious to me that this ReMix was of the "Kraken" theme, there are some major issues. The use of the Earthbound SFX is way over the top and it's not done in a musical way - stuff is just thrown in haphazardly. The same goes for the drums, which, in and of themselves, are pretty cool dnb/breakbeat drums, but are perhaps overly spastic when combined with all the SFX, stabs, and harmony parts. There seem to be a lot of clashing notes that I certainly can't make sense of, such as the passage starting at 1:00. The synths and 'real' instruments used are pretty bland and simplistic and definitely don't contribute to anything. The stabs at 1:53 are clipping (or coming very close to it). Again, way over the top.

This reminds me of Shnabubula's stuff to some extent, but it lacks musicality. Even chaotic drums and synths need some form of structure to really 'work'. I don't think there's much you can do to make it pass our standards considering how 'far out' it is.

NO

*LIGHTNING ROUND*

-Sound effects are not being used in pleasing rhythmic gradations (1/64's 1/32's 1/16's), making for a sloppy sound.

-FX could have been used to a much greater effect if interpreted as instruments, rather than random noise.

-Some fx blaringly louder than others, adding to that sloppy acoustic implication.

NO

Well I can see the resemblance to the earthbound piece. I have trouble with this game, since the soundtrack is so weird, it usually makes weird remixes that are hard to work out.

It's fairly simple in this case. There's good dissonance and there's bad dissonance (usually it's bad.) This is one of those instances. There's no real clever sound usage here, it's basically sound effects thrown together over the top of each other, with the major "melody" if you can call it that from the source playing over and over. The "instruments" used in this mix sound all right, but they're all dry, with the reliance on the "weirdness" rather than on any real attempt at a proper arrangement.

I'm getting some really bad clipping in the louder sections. I can imagine there would be some people who would enjoy this style of music. But it's poorly executed in this case.

Not much else to say really. Nice try, but yeah, NO