*NO* Unreal Tournament 'RazorBlade'

djpretzel

Source: http://www.ioncross.com/users/the_orichalcon/other/Razor-ub.umx - Razorback (4:49)

As it stands, this remix doesn't sound too bad. The drums and loops used here are crisp and clear. The guitar is almost drowned in effects to the point that it's not recogniseable. The synth lead is tucked away into the back of the mix, needs to be brought out more. The pads in the background are a nice touch too.

The real issue here with this mix is it's almost a direct rip of the source. While there are differences in the guitar rhythm and the layout of the mix, the main lead melody is identical and the guitarline is very close to the source and doesn't take many risks or show enough changes to push this out into the "ReMix" classification.

The overall quality of the mix is pretty smooth, it does sound a little cluttered in sections (from 2:08 is getting a little crazy) but in general it's a good flowing sound. I also would have liked to have seen a mix of this genre go for a little longer, which would have opened the path for more reinterpretation of the source as well (especially considering the source is almost 5 minutes in length itself.)

An enjoyable rock-style remix, but unfortunately as it stands, it's pretty much a cover mix.

NO

No source here, but I don't need it. Weak guitar...um...esque intro. Changed into something else at :29, which was better. The effects are really sloppily used here. The texture here isn't that good.

Better stuff at :48 with the more instrumental-style work. The synth handling the melody from :48-1:14 should have been louder, IMO. Better sound balance at 1:41 when you used that melody again, but then once the drums and other stuff were brought back in at 1:54, the same issues were there. Dunno why you left the abrupt cutoff at the end/2:43.

Good groove here; I'd certainly be interested in getting the original here that TO provided and checking that out based on this, but can't right now. The melodic content needs to be more varied and creative, and the mixing could stand some improvement.

Unfortunately can't go into more details without being on my regular setup, but I felt like some frequencies were neglected. Kind of a hollow sound in the middle of the stereo field.

In any case, this was actually some promising stuff from what I gather is a first submission. Genuinely look forward to hearing your future stuff if you hang around. Stick to the ReMixing & Works forums for more feedback in the future.

NO

the guitar is sharply hi and low heavy. it gets quite irritating after a while, i wish the middle were beefier. the composition of the song is pretty rockin. whatever that means. I recognize the original. The problem with this mix is that it's short, it's repetitive, it's repetitive, and the arrangement isnt going anywhere. What you have here is pretty enjoyable, and it's a good start, but you need to build a song, not just this groove thing.

NO

like some tunes from unreal tournament, this one wasn't originally written for the game.

but skaven updated it a bit specifically for UT so i suppose it's fair game (pun intended).

though even if there were an issue with the source material, it would be the last reason this is rejected.

this has too many problems to go on the site.

it's short and underdeveloped and the chugachuga guitars get tiring quickly.

lemme close this one out,

no