*NO* Swords & Sworcery 'Light-Hearted Flute'

OceansAndrew

Remixer Name: Marc Junker

Email Address:

Userid: 22188

Game: Swords & Sworcery

Name of Arrangement: Light-hearted Flute

Remix of Dark Flute by Jim Guthrie

Info: A beautiful video game for iPad/iPhone. Truly inspiring. http://www.swordandsworcery.com/

Original track:

I made this because I found the game incredibly inspiring — couldn't help it! Also a dearth of ios games on OC! I made it in Logic Pro. Just played it on a keyboard. Recorded a little bit of mandolin in there for some texture.

Thank you kindly for considering this remix.

• 1 month later...

The source was really nice to listen to! Definitely a good find here. The opening of your mix had me really excited, because it starts out with a creative take on the source, and had a lot of promise for what was to come. I think for the most part you hold up on that promise by creating a sweeping orchestral arrangement that holds a lot of emotion in it. The arrangement was well-personalized, and the overall flow worked very nicely. I felt the ending didn't quite hold up to the rest, but still got the job done.

Production overall feels a bit muddy at times, and I think if there's anywhere you need to improve on it would be there. That being said, I don't think it's a dealbreaker for this track, but something to think about for the future.

I like this a lot, and am glad to see people reaching into the world of ios games!

YES*Changed below*

• 2 weeks later...

Overall this is really nice with a good expansion on the source, and a warm and generally sophisticated sound. The source fits the genre very well, and it's a very nice original melody.

Some of the parts of the mix that could be improved would be the mechanical feel of some of the percussion. A lot of the track feels fluid and pretty well performed, but parts of the percussion are very stale by comparison. Arrangement-wise, the structure is really close to the source, complete with underwhelming ending, and the sound is too warm in spots. This being said, I think the song does enough right to scrape over the bar.

Yes

• 1 month later...

There is definite over-compression during the percussions louder sections and that is a huge orchestral no-no. It also seems to be coming from the bass pizz sections even when it's fairly quiet, causing the whole mix to duck whenever it hits. That has to be fixed imo.

The worst sections for this are:

0:33-0:50

1:52-end

The mix is also a little muddy in general and could do with some EQ cuts for specific string sections. The samples aren't the greatest but you've treated them well and they are pretty well balanced. I think this just needs a remix, tone the compression/limited way down and have a play around the EQ and see if you can get the busier sections a bit clearer.

On the positive side, the arrangement is generally speaking very good minus the slightly cop-out ending. Also there is some great attention to the strings legato which is almost gliss'ing at points. Good work there.

NO, plz resub

My pal Fishy is dead on here. The compression/EQ is really the only problem I'm hearing, but it's significant enough to want to push for another version. The lack of dynamics really clamps down on your great writing. Shouldn't be a lot of work needed, but depending on your experience in that realm, there might be something you need to learn or get help with. Please send this back to us after looking into that!

NO (resubmit)