*NO* Sonic CD (JP) 'Supersonic Stardust'

OceansAndrew

This was one that started out as just for fun, but then a lot of people in the forums liked it, so I figured what the heck, I'll sub it. It's a remix of Stardust Speedway (JP) from Sonic CD. I had never played Sonic CD growing up because I never had a Sega CD (only Genesis), but over last Christmas I found it on PSN for $5 so I picked it up. I was blown away by the cheesy 90s soundtrack (the Japanese version), particularly the Stardust Speedway song, and it was the perfect opportunity to use my library of vocal samples and brass hits that I figured I'd never ever use in anything :D The song is a little conservative, but I was going for a bit jazzier (slightly slowed down) version, with a bit more focus on the brass & vocals, compared to the original. I hope you all like it!

My Contact Info:

My ReMixer name: SuperiorX

My real name: Matt Keller

My email address:

My userid: 28286

Submission Info:

Games arranged: Sonic CD

ReMix Name: Supersonic Stardust

ReMix Link (at my box.net account):

Songs arranged: Stardust Speedway - JP (Present)

• 1 month later...

oh man, those vocal clips are so cheese. Overall a lot of elements feel a little dry, specifically the vocal clips and some of the piano. Everything else feels pretty good. I liked the brass.

Soundscape needs to be a little more developed, with less super dry elements. I think the structure is pretty similar, and maybe some additional expansion on the themes would help make this even more personalized.

It is definitely a solid foundation, but I feel that the sounds arent quite meshing, and the arrangement should be expanded slightly. I really do like where it's going though.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with pretty much all of what Andrew is saying here. The vocals are cheese, but they are pretty fun too, and amusingly applied. I think they could probably come down just a touch overall, as they're a bit overpowering in the soundscape. Likewise, getting rid of the overall dryness would probably help that as well.

The structure and arrangement are definitely a little closer to the original than I'd like, and I think to me if it came down to just that I'd be willing to let it pass. With the production too it's just under the bar for me, and I'd love to see both issues changed, but if you hit just one of them I'd be ok with it. Regardless, this is a good candidate for a resub!

NO (resubmit, please)

Not much more to add to what OA and DA said. Promising stuff here in terms of personalizing the arrangement, but this is dry as hell. Give the backing instrumentation some further body (the core beat pattern was BORING; spice, plz). The wind-down got BONE DRY from 3:16 until the end; seriously, in no universe will that ever fly here. You know better than that. :lol:

Like they said, it's legitimately a great start, but don't skimp on the fine tuning needed to make this sound fully fleshed out. This is totally worth a resubmission, so bug anyone and everyone who you admire in this community who may be willing to give you some tips on this WIP. Lots of potential here, don't drop this one.

NO (resubmit)