Dragon Quest-style RPGs Recommendations?

Meteo Xavier

I'm a total weeaboo, but I'm a weeaboo from like 1991-1995/6. Thats where I hit my peak for videogaming.

In celebrating and trying some games out on the emulator before I try to get them for my Super Famicom, I'm playing through one called Silva Saga II, a very easy and short Dragon Quest knockoff, and while I enjoy it, I aspire for something more.

I've got 7th Saga and I've played through Earthbound recently already - I'm actually kinda tired of nerd-cult-hit AWESOME RPGs with genre-redefining shit, yeah, yeah, I know Earthbound's everyone's go-to RPG for that. It's like that phrase "You've tried the rest, now try the best." but sometimes, I'd really like to try the rest. Sometimes I really want a stereotypical, forgotten knockoff like 7th Saga that doesn't really do anything new but isn't one I've played to death. Know what I mean? I miss getting my ass kicked by some Chimera Horse Knight because I'm only at Level 18 instead of 24.

Any recommendations? Preferably not PC/MAC games or ones that are designed to be tributes like Death of Breath VII or something, but I'll check out all recommendations.

Thank you!

I suspect you're already looking into the DQ and FF series so I won't bother with needless repetition.

I will, however, recommend both of the Super NES Lufia games (Estpolis if you're looking for Super Famicom carts).

That's all for now until I recall more, or others flood the thread with similar recommendations.

Yeah, I'd recommend the two Lufia games for the SNES as well. The first one is a pretty standard RPG, but the second one is fun to play for Zelda-esque dungeons. The third Lufia game on the GBC is pretty cool, too.

However, you want some "normal" RPGs.

The Phantasy Star series might be another good place to look. Phantasy Star II is a very "classic" RPG - it's quite the grind-fest. Phantasy Star IV is a great, story-driven RPG, with the same classic battle system (and it's infinitely the best game in the original Phantasy Star series).

Also look into Star Ocean 1 on the SNES. You'd be surprised what the SNES can do, judging by that game.

I'm well-versed in the Lufia series. I'm as keen on the first one as the second. The third one I didn't try because it sounded way too complicated. The GBA one I eventually sold. It was weird but I'm sure someone will appreciate it more than I did.

I used to have the Phantasy Star games for the GBA. I may consider those again. PSIV I remember trying and couldn't make heads or tails of what to start out with.

I was playing the first Star Ocean game for an emulator and the ROM eventually froze itself shut. :P

This is an excellent start, guys. Thank you

I've seen some people call the Breath of Fire series a knockoff of Dragon Quest, though I'm not sure why... except maybe the first two have a bit of grinding. But those are nice, particularly the second one with the retranslation patch.

Oh and for SNES there's a game that's not particularly well known. Ancient Magic: Bazoe! Mahou Sekai. The encounter rate is crazy high (yay for cheat codes >>) and I honestly expected to hate it but was pleasantly surprised. I thought the battle system was kind of neat, but I really liked the story and how it was told. It's less Dragon Quest, and more generic RPG.

And Tecmo Secret of the Stars isn't... terrible. I just could never stick with it myself.

ETA: Took out a couple suggestions because I need to learn to read.

Oh, and I forgot, you can look into the Albert Odyssey series. Only one of the games was released in the U.S. - the one for the Sega Saturn, Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean, and if you wanted to realistically play it, you'd probably have to figure out Saturn emulation (because the game is rare and expensive - i'd know since I own a copy).

But it's a pretty fun game, with some really goofy, silly dialogue (courtesy of a localization by Working Designs - by-and-far my favorite localization company to ever exist), and it's very much a "classic" RPG as well. It's short, too, which might be better for you.

As well, you can look into the Lunar: the Silver Star series, also localized by Working Designs. The Sega-CD version, and the PS1 version would be the way to go.

Master System

Phantasy Star

Genesis

Phantasy Star II

Phantasy Star III

Phantasy Star IV

Traysia

Pier Solar

Star Odyssey

Sega CD

Lunar: The Silver Star

Lunar: Eternal Blue

Vay

The 8-bit and 16-bit Sega systems had quite a few other RPGs, but they tend to differ in play style from the Dragon Quest series. But if you're curious, check out...

Miracle Warriors (not sure how to classify this one)

Spellcaster (Action RPG)

Y's: The Vanished Omens (Action RPG)

Golvellius (Action RPG)

Dragon Crystal (Action RPG)

Ultima IV (Oldschool PC RPG)

Shining Force (Strategy RPG)

Shining Force II (Strategy RPG)

Shining in the Darkness (First-person Dungeon Crawler)

Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Halfbreed of traditional console, and old-school PC RPGs)

King's Bounty (Oldschool PC Strategy RPG)

Might & Magic: Gates to Another World (Oldschool PC RPG)

Sword of Vermilion (Action RPG)

Sorcerer's Kingdom (Action RPG)

Faery Tale Adventure (Semi-traditional RPG)

Light Crusader (Action RPG)

Beyond Oasis (Action RPG)

Landstalker (Action RPG)

Crusader of Centi (Action RPG)

Exile (Action RPG)

Arcus Odyssey (Action RPG)

Beggar Prince (Semi-traditional RPG)

Legend of Wukong (Semi-traditional RPG)

Fatal Labyrinth (Action RPG)

Dark Wizard (Strategy RPG)

Eye of the Beholder (Oldschool PC RPG)

Dungeon Explorer (Action RPG)