*NO* Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow Version 'The Mind of a Wild Pokémon'

djpretzel

Majeliss

majeliss@gmail.com

Remixed: Pokemon red/blue Wild pokemon battle theme

--

This is a Goa/Psytrance remix of the battle theme of wild pokemon. It may sound like this remix has less of the original theme in it, but if you know the battle theme well, the original melody plays throughout the whole remix. I hope you OCR Judges like Goa/Psytrance or just this submission ^__^

--

Blessed be

Source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/PkmRB-Battle1.mid - Wild Pokemon Battle

Well, majeliss. You're going to have to point out the original theme to me. I hear it in the mix from 1:37 up to 2:02. The rest just sounds like original ambience to me. Not even good ambience at that.

The mix starts off with a sort of howling sound and the battle prelude melody that you hear before you get into a fight in game. Then we go into generic techno beat with jabby bassline (doesn't sound too bad) two-chord synth comes in, then we get what I like to describe as screeching noises, used in the percussion of the mix. The two-chord synth comes back in and then goes back out again. From 1:37 we hear the battle theme come in, and it sounds quite cool. Though it sounds way too much like it's take directly from the game.

As quickly as the source tune came into the remix, it's back out again, never to be seen again. The screeching percussion comes back in, with the generic background ambience and jabby bassline playing in and out as usual. The two chord-synth even shows up again before the mix ends.

In terms of quality, the sound is pretty good. It's basic quality, but nothing sounds bad or harsh to listen to. Even the screechy percussion was subdued so it was (slightly) listenable. The mix just needs a lot more work on the arrangement, paying much more attention to the source tune.

NO

i like goa and psychedlic trance.

this is only a half-hearted attempt at it, though.

not nearly as hard or full or with the energy necessary to be good goa/psytrance.

the section where the original is prominent (1:40-2:20ish) sounds completely different from the rest of track and completely unlike the intended genre.

45 seconds of genre-defying original in the middle of a 3:30 piece..

i'm sorry, that just doesn't make much sense to me.

no

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/pokemonb.zip - Track 24

The sounds are generic, but aren't used poorly, but at the same time, I don't hear the original prominently except in the middle. The saw wave from :26-:33 and repeated several times over until :46 and again from 1:05-1:18 is from :02-:07 of the source.

Anyway, while I heard that in there, the use of the melody from 1:37-2:02 was pretty minimal. There's still not enough source tune used in here. Just using that one motif from :02-:07 of the source for most of the track, and only briefly using the source melody. No dice in my book. I will say that the sound balance was excellent here; very well balanced, IMO.

Can't help but agree with analoq's and especially TO's conclusions here. Sounds are basic, and the arrangement substance isn't there.

NO