*NO* Jurassic Park (Gen) 'Concerto for Saxophone and Velociraptor in G minor' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65727

I fixed the jurrasic park remix. I cut the opening down to about 35 seconds, and cleaned up the orchestra part. Could you tell me if its fine for re-submission? If there is nothing wrong with it, do I need to send it back through the whole submission proccess, or can I just give it to you?

When the Jurrasic park remix passes, I want the name changed. The name I gave it sucked because I couldnt think of anything else. But I love what The Wingless came up with, and I want the new name to be "Concerto for Saxaphone and Velociraptor in G minor"

Source MIDIs are still available in the original decision.

The hiss is still getting on me because it's still significantly there, but it's been cut down dramatically. There are some good spots where there's periodically no hiss, but then hissing'll fade in or jump in, and I'm put off by it. On that level, a lot of the quieter/delicate parts are disrupted. It looks whatever was even left of the higher frequencies got cut in order to make the fix. (Side note, VERY light/non-impactful audio deformation at 3:41.)

I'm gonna be the jerk and hold onto a NO borderline, but I can easily see this passing and won't have any issues there. The fixes here were good though I feel the sound quality is still lacking. Very distant and lo-fi. Anyone else that could offer further practical suggestions on eliminating the hiss would be appreciated.

Nonetheless, focusing on the arrangement, this was nothing but stylish and well-crafted. Gotta give the props there, and I definitely wish you best of luck on the rest of the vote, bro. I think this has the strength to finally be your debut here.

Glad to see that the hiss is reduced in this new version. It’s still fairly audible however. I think the major issue is that the hiss isn’t constant so when it surfaces and subsides, it gives a choppy feel to the track. I’d definitely try some noise cancellation on the sax parts but also be sure to fade the sax sections in and out to make remaining hiss less noticeable. I’m also glad to hear some of the reverb toned down.

I don’t know what happened but in this new version the transition at 0:40 is bad. It’s just a jump into the orchestral section with an audible audio pop. Sounds like you started an audio clip from something other than zero amplitude. Same deal at 0:56. If your recording software won’t allow you to trim audio clips to the nearest zero crossings then make sure to fade the clips in and out to avoid this.

Great sax solo from 1:37-1:53; definitely my favorite section of the mix. In general most of the performance is good but the timing gets a little loose around 3:10.

The arrangement of the themes is nicely done and is the major factor in the borderline status of my vote. If the production was improved a little more and the transition smoothed out at 0:40 I’d have much less to complain about. Good work and if this doesn’t make it, go for a resub.

NO (borderline)

The intro is still pretty good and creative. The transition into the mix is a problem though. It does have a click as it jumps into it. The tone of the mix changes too as the hiss comes in in the main section too. That transition should be easily fixable. Rather than pasting things together, do it all within the one audio file, and create a proper transition.

The actual mix is great. I have no issues with anything but that transition into the mix. It's easily overshadowed by the playing of this mix, which is reminiscent for me of Stravinsky on a less dissonant level. It has that quiet and creepy sound to it.

My judgement of the arrangement and material from the first version of this still stands, it sounds great and it's well done. While it's not the most well produced mix and doesn't sound as clean as others on the site, this one has genuine creativity and the balls to pull it off well with the live playing and recording.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This is a significant improvement. However that intro is still there, and in my view, it sounds rather ridiculous. It might work better in another context, but here it just is a bit silly - at least imo. You did at least tone it down from the first version, where it was a lot more exposed.

The orchestral elements don't gel in my view either, as noted by analoq. The strings are far too agressive in sound and in attack. I think it would work better if you had more sustained/legato slower and blossoming sounds. You can do this by adjusting the attacks of your sustained samples in your sampler or in a soundfont editor if that's what you use.

Also everything sounds centered. There's no real space/placement. The production needs quite a lot of work in reverb/processing/eqing. Everything sounds centered and dull. Your edit on the sax is much better now though.

The sax performance in general is quite good, definitely by far your best work in that regard. The backing tracks however aren't that thought out. You mostly have high strings and low strings and a harp. There's a very sparse sound going on here that needs to be addressed in this context.

NO