*NO* Starcraft 'Rock on Tarsonis'

djpretzel

ReMixer name: PooLatka

E-mail: PooLatka@gmail.com

Name of Game: StarCraft

Link to original soundtrack: http://media.putfile.com/terrantheme

Longtime fan of StarCraft, and first submission. I noticed their weren't any OCR's of StarCraft, so i thought i'd take a wack at it.

This piece contains a good amount of original composition, as well as elements of one of the terran themes.

Thanks for providing the original. Opened with some weak FL Slayer faux geetar, which is almost always a bad direction to go in. Stylistically, it just can't pull off a believeable sound.

VERY basic percussion pattern came in at :22, not really providing any texture here. Gated synth at least helped fill things out some more at :32 and worked decently with the lead, but the track was still very sparse.

Glad a bassline was added at :53 though to help beef the low-end up, along with another higher pitched synth. The timing on everything is very mechanical, especially the Slayer guitar synth.

Oooh, MIDI keyboard sounds at 1:25. Not bad for the texture, though the phrasing wasn't strong. Didn't sound good at all during the solo from 1:46-1:57, then another whiny synth with poor phrasing joined in.

2:08 changed up the flow a bit, but that gated synth was getting tired, plus there was still no cohesive texture or melody going on with all of the instrumentation. Piano solo at 3:01 was a weak way to end things, the piano again sounding thin, mechanical, and exposed.

Decent first effort, and one to be proud of, but you'll need to use your sounds better and just gain more experience/knowledge on the writing aspect. Though I do here some of your rearrangement ideas here, right now the quality of this mix is, IMO, inferior to the original. Check out the ReMixing & Works forums to help yourself improve.

NO

i played SC waaay too much when that game came out, yet i had a difficult time picking out the terran theme.

i hear it now, so nothing wrong with that.

a pleasant distance from FL noob trance comes this FL noob rock.

layers of agitating slayer guitars (slayers?) over simplistic percussion patterns with some piano fisting.

like larry suggests, try the WIP forums.

no

Never heard the starcraft soundtrack before. I like that source though, good mild rock with a flowing melody.

As for this mix. Starting off with a solo FL Slayer is never a really good idea. That guitar sounds so fakey and bad, although it's composed in an interesting way, not really the bad whiney sound one would usually hear from FL Slayer.

I think you're gating the FL Slayer in the background there, it's an interesting sound that works rather well. Probably the peak of the sound you can get from Slayer.

Anyway, the beats in this mix are as basic as they come, it's really lacking any power or interest. You need to work on getting some better samples or just utilising the ones you have a little better.

I can hear the source in here in the piano, but to be honest, going from a real rock track with good guitars and drums in it, and then using a fake guitar to remix it is kind of taking a backwards step that is never likely to work. (I could be proven wrong, but not here.)

NO

Pretty much already covered by everyone else. But this is just too basic, and comes off as FL noob-ish mix. Which isn't to say it's bad, but there are no fundemental elements that stand out really.

I enjoyed the pacing and the structure of the mix, but there was little meat here. Compounding the problems of the mix is the subpar samples/synths and there is nothing done in the production aspect to lift the sound quality issues. The guitar sounds gritty and ugly, snare is too dark and limp, and the piano is lifeless. Careful fx processing, eqing would help this significantly. Unfortunately these are rather complex and lengthy suggestions that wouldn't really be covered well in detail within the context of this review.

Not bad, but basic in any event. Keep working at it, you show promise, but it would be helpful if you looked through the remixing and wip forums at our site to get further feedback and information.

Jim Holland chimes in briefly

A decent effort, but as a southern gentleman would say - this mix needs a little moonshine and spice in the drink.

NO