Tales of Symphonia - 'Burning Spirit' (Metal Mix) [Fatalize, Fighting of the Spirit] V2 (New)

I really want to show you guys this remix I just finished! :DDD Definitely submitting this whenever I can get the chance. Feel free to give any feedback. It'll be maybe until like mid-July before I submit.

Remix:

https://www.box.com/s/37420b7097f64cbd9037

Sources:

- Fatalize

- Fighting of the Spirit

Possibly needed remix details:

Lead guitar (2 copies) - Strawberry Evolution Electric Guitar (Blank Preset with vibrato, pitch bend, and articulation modifications)

Lead synth - u-he Zebra2 (Custom)

Organ - u-he Zebra2 (Custom)

Bells - NI FM8 (Stereo Bells preset with modifications)

Rhythm guitar - ISW Shreddage (Quick-Play patch, Double-tracked)

Pick Scrapes - ISW Shreddage (Extra channel only for these, but under the same amp as the lead)

Drums - East West Quantum Leap Stormdrums (Individual patches for each part of the kit)

Reverb - Uhbik-A

Amp - NI Guitar Rig

I'm not a big fan the kick. It's sounding a little bit to weak, imo. It also sounds panned which is weird. You should try centering the kick and the snare, if they're not, so they sound a bit more present.

The synth also doesn't seem to be loud enough maybe? The chords might just be taking up too much room. I can't really hear much besides the chords, though. I'd fix that first.

The parts where you're trying to arrange IMO don't flow that well with the song. The intro going into the source sounds fine. But at parts like :29 and 2:11 things could flow just a bit better.

Also, I found myself kind of getting bored of the song.. I feel like a slower, more mellower bridge section would help this kind of song a lot. Maybe right after 2:06. Maybe others will agree with that.

Fixing the mixing issues would be a great first step to making this sound good. The chords are up front and center while everything else is just pushed in the back.

Bump. I think I might have fixed the kick, and I did these things:

- Improved 1:44 - 2:06 by adding harmonies. Yay. Didn't try that before.

- Made the last faster part of the solo louder.

- Made the synth just slightly louder.

- Small low pass on the rhythm guitar.

- Took out stereo panning on drums.

Remix:

https://www.box.com/s/37420b7097f64cbd9037 - V1

https://www.box.com/s/833850960a9f192ab596 - V2

Sources:

- Fatalize

- Fighting of the Spirit

Possibly needed remix details:

Lead guitar (2 copies) - Strawberry Evolution Electric Guitar (Blank Preset with vibrato, pitch bend, and articulation modifications)

Lead synth - u-he Zebra2 (Custom)

Organ - u-he Zebra2 (Custom)

Bells - NI FM8 (Stereo Bells preset with modifications)

Rhythm guitar - ISW Shreddage (Quick-Play patch, Double-tracked)

Pick Scrapes - ISW Shreddage (Extra channel only for these, but under the same amp as the lead)

Drums - East West Quantum Leap Stormdrums (Individual patches for each part of the kit)

Reverb - Uhbik-A

Amp - NI Guitar Rig

(Bumped once)

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty conservative, feels more like a cover than an ocr-style remix. That's gonna be a problem, but dunno how much.

I'm more bothered by the overly same-y sound throughout. Changing up the chord types and using palm mutes for some parts and doing all kinds of guitar things should help keep things interesting. As you're using Shreddage for a lot of it, you shouldn't have much problem going in and changing stuff up, just gotta figure out where to do what, if at all.

The mixing feels too clean, too artificial. Dunno what exactly can be done about that, but consider experimenting with reverb and compressing tracks together. Dunno how objective a crit that is, but it bothers me, so I'm gonna say it. At the same time, it feels a bit muffled, like the tracks don't get enough room to stand out. Consider giving your leads a touch more highs (and not necessarily just an eq boost). While we're at it, have more fun with the leads. More vibrato, more squeals, more fun.

It's rocking, but it's not melting anyone's face... not yet. ;)