*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Timestorm'

djpretzel

ReMixer Name: omicron_theta

Email: omicron_theta@mac.com

Userid: 24132

Name of game ReMixed: the Legend of Zelda: the Ocarina of Time

Name of songs ReMixed: Song of Storms, Song of Time

I put this together in GarageBand over the course of a month or so.

The Song of Storms has always been one of my favorite Zelda tunes, but it's taken me a while to come up with an arrangement that I felt was submission quality.

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 57 "Windmill Hut" (56 Ocarina ~Song Of Storms~) & 44 "Temple of Time" (43 Ocarina ~Song Of Time~)

Opened things up with the swirly pad activity before some hand drums and a light woodwind came in at :27. Trance stuff kicked in at :40, though the texture was thin. Buildup was decent, though I was honestly waiting for something to happen. Some bootleg sounding faux-ocarina came in at 1:22, along with another synth and some other light sounds at 1:35. Still haven't hit the source melody until 1:56 alluded to "Song of Storms" pretty heavily.

2:16 have some very generic trance/electronica synths come in handling the SoS melody, along with some average but notable arrangement focused on changing the rhythms around. Energy is still pretty low, in that there's not much texture/body in the sound chosen. Bleh, the way the notes of that pad would change (e.g. 3:28, 3:30) really didn't come across well when exposed. Some snappy percussion and whatnot came in at 3:32 before very briefly bringing in the "Song of Time" melody at 3:38.

Another iteration of Song of Storms at 4:10 with thicker bass kicks is supposed to represent the track taking on more power, but wasn't much of an intensity change. Tempo/arrangement was still basically the same only with the added bass, though I appreciated how several different ideas were developed to at least offer up some changes over the entire 6:25, such as dropping out the thick percussion and going back to a more flowy atmosphere at 5:40 for the close.

Needs work on fleshing out the sounds and cutting out some of the fatty/boring transitions, but it was a decent effort that could use some more work. analoq and zircon could give you way better suggestions/advice that I ever could. I'd personally move onto new material. Keep at it, and use the ReMixing & Works forums to help in that effort.

NO

The intro sounds exceptionally thin. the pads ought to have a wider frequency range. The frequency range of the mix improves greatly once the 4+on+floor beat comes in. At this point my main complaint is that the arrangement is unsatisfying. there are melodic interludes once in a while, but for the most part the song repeats and nothing about the instrumentation or dynamics change very much.

Certainly qualifies as danceable, but not enough arrangement to be an OC ReMix.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

i must say, GarageBand default sounds are quite a nice change of pace from the usual FL default sounds we hear.

so this comes off as a fresh but still patently amateur attempt at my least favorite genre of dance music... trance.

i do like the way the original is used.

the development isn't bad, but could be better.

the execution is only half-decent.

that overall equates to a remix that is notably below the quality of recently posted trance remixes.. so this just isn't good enough.

i could give some specific advice but really you just need to keep at it.

it's easy to make mediocre trance, but it's extremely hard to make good trance.

no

Garageband is coming up with a lot of nice goodies available for it lately, like the world packs. Someone get me an apple please. ;)

Now to the topic at hand, hate to be glib, but analoq nailed the issues here. Too basic, sparse and simple. You have a decent framework but this needs more work. Catchy mix though. Keep working at it, you show promise. I suggest you post this to our WIP/Completed forum to share it with the forum goers.

NO