*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'A Town to Defy Its Fate'

djpretzel

Email sub file A Town to Defy its Fate.mp3

Name of game remixed: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Individual song(s) remixed: Clocktown Theme/Zelda Main Theme

Comments: My first ever try at recording something, idk if it's very good, but i'd like some feedback :D I'm a n00b composer, but i've been a vgmix and ocremix fan for ages. It's my dream come true to finally finish something :D

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozmmusf.rar - 108 "Clock Town - Day 1"

Dunno where the traditional Zelda theme is in the Majora's Mask pack, but it's probably in there somewhere. Anyway, not bad for a first sub at all. The piano needs to sounda lot richer. There's some attempt at natural-sounding decays to thicken the sound, but this ultimately sounds very fake the whole way through, and lacks the sound of a quality human performance. I thought the piano was sampled, but DarkeSword pointed out to me that it's likely a real piano. I have to say that's unfortunate, as some of the issues regarding texture and occasionally flow seemed like sample-driven ones.

As for the arrangement, it's decent, but it could carry a bit more dynamic contrast by way of some more subtle sections. Right now, the arrangement varies itself somewhat during the 3:44, but drags since it's always loud and the texture is thin.

There needs to be less distortion here, as some of the volume spikes result in some nasty stuff, firstly at :43, but way worse in other instances, like 1:20-1:31, and 2:46-2:59. Most of the track had that problem duing the loud parts anyway. Some release issues at :56 & :57 hurt the feel as well.

You really need to get a richer sound going and practice to maximize the best sounds out of your performance. Thinner sections like 1:34-1:47 sounded plinky, mechanical and very low grade. Needs tons of work, but you're in the right direction on the arrangement front, and just need to hang around more in ReMixing and Works to help learn more skills.

NO

Uh, I'm pretty sure that's a real piano, Larry.

... :roll:

Anyway, I think that the arrangement/performance is just fine. Very expressive, and nice use of dynamics. I love the main theme in major thing you have going on.

My primary issue with this song is the volume spikes and the clipping that occurs. If you can re-record this with some normalization and no clipping, I think that'd be passable.

NO for now.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really good first effort, as I said to the ReMixer privately. He's working with various different samples for the piano, and while this was performed live, it IS hard to find a good piano sample. What you might do is give your MIDI performance to someone here that has a really good piano sample or library (check in ReMixing) and have them just stick that in. You also need to put some sort of compressor or limiter on this somehow, because it DOES clip at some points. Again, the ReMixing forum is the place to ask about this type of thing.

I thought the arrangement here was very good, particularly for a first submission, although on the minimal side at times. But that's really a stylistic thing, in my opinion. I would work more on the production end of this - choosing the right sample, for instance, and making sure the volume levels are good. Once again, I recommend visiting the ReMixing forum and asking if anyone can help you with this aspect or studying more on how to have your songs not clip.

Great effort, keep it up. Some tweakin and this will pass :)

NO

I can see why darke thought this was real. It sounds like a low quality recording of an upright or something.

But beyond that, the amount of clipping here is hugely problematic. Normalization doesn't really work in this case. A limiter would the most appropriate here, but remember compression and limiting sometimes won't help. Piano is one of the instruments with a lot of transient energy and with thick chords they can clip even under -1 db. A limiter and combination of tweaking your velocities during the heavier sections would help curb that problem.

Arrangement and performance are fine in my view. I don't know if I'd consider it passable. I'd like to see more performance polishing going on. Arrangement works for me all in all. Weak ending though, what's up with that?

NO