*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Robeatnik L.I.E.'

djpretzel

Some definite production issues but also some different, creative arrangement ideas as well... - djp

Greetings!

I'm here with a submission of a song that has just dragged on and on in the making - i'm glad its finally done. Richter from VGMix (and a few other game sites) contacted me ages ago about doing sax on a funk piece. Needless to say, after we decided to rework the whole thing, its not funk...its not jazz, its not whatever. It's just good music. Starts out with a piano intro on the theme, then goes to an almost funk-rock-ish section with some organ work and drums and stuff, then moving into a jazz/bop section for the end. All on robotnik's theme. Richter wrote the original song, played the original piano into the MIDI thing, did the synthesis on the whirly organ, and i did the rest.

o Your ReMixer name: Richter

o Your real name: Matt Hackett

o Your email address: richter@paletteswap.com

o Your website: http://www.paletteswap.com

o Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 6337

as for me -

Your ReMixer name: The Prophet of Mephisto

Your real name: Brad Burr

Your email address: bradley.burr@houghton.edu

Your website: http://thesaxprophet.tripod.com or www.soundclick.com/theprophetofmephisto

Your userid - 16318

It's from Sonic 2. It's Robotnik's Theme. you've got all the other info on the site already.

Thanks a lot for listening. You can get it from my soundclick site (link above) - go to the music page, and it's called Robeatnik L.I.E.

thanks, ocr.

THE PROPHET

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sonic2.rar - Boss (Robotnik Theme.gym)

Played this on VGF64 to help open things up. The piano intro is good, but muddy in the low end and very mechanical-sounding. Cool stuff at :29 warming up to the source material. Cool stuff with the organ, which sounded nice and flowy. The percussion was a little overbearing and low-energy considering how relatively sparse the atmosphere was. Some very GMish sounding stuff on support that I could hear the most at :57, 1:20, 1:28 etc.

More good stuff at 1:45 with the bass along with the record player SFX along with the sax axxtion from Brad at 1:57, though the sequenced and MIDI keyboard stuff doesn't sound as good as it could and only gets maybe halfway there at having some very infectious energy.

The arrangement is where it needs to be, and Brad performance is a good contribution. The soundfield needs a bit more depth to it, and the instrumentation needs more realism and polish. I'd love to see some good tips from other Js on that level. I know this has been a long time in the making, Matt, but I'd like to see this worked on further for the YES.

NO (resubmit)

Right away I get clipping on the piano. The sound of the piano is very flat and loud, it could be mastered much better. Then when the chords kick in, they sound so mechanical, especially when compared to the melody playing over it, which is played quite sloppily. The actual rhythm and melody is pretty good, but the sound quality is just so basic and sloppy, it needs to be addressed.

The drums are a main issue here, they're so dry and basic, and it's as plain as the mole on my face. The fire sound effect that comes in around 1:45 is low quality and just makes the track sound like it's clipping rather than adding atmosphere, I'd recommend just scrapping that unless you can make it work a lot better.

The sax is pretty cool, along with the organ in the background. The mix has a pretty good atmosphere to it when it comes to the arrangement, you just need to address these sound issues.

NO

is this a resubmission or have i just heard this before elsewhere?

oh, it was on vgf. gotcha.

i like the swingyness, the jazzyness, and everything inbetween.

execution ranges from swell to lousy -- and lousy is not acceptable.

for starters, vary up the dynamics in the piano, explore other soundfonts

you've got a couple good drum fills but most of the percussion is ignored, vary it up.

the sax will probably be hit-or-miss no matter what you do.

keep the organ, i like it.

may i echo TO's complaint about the fire soundeffect?

no resub

Very cool ideas indeed. But...

Some main issues here are the piano with the mechanical nature of it both in timing and in terms of velocity. Things are too rigid on both fronts. The drum and percussive work is a little on the vanilla side; though I do like the fills, beyond that there's not much substance.

During the busier parts, things started to get a bit cluttered, I think the organ has too much fx, while everything else sounds bone dry.

The sax work is the highlight here though. Impressive stuff going on there overall, however, all the issues here do weigh this down. This needs quite a bit of polish in my view, which is a shame, as the creative ideas at play here are unique and interesting. But at this point this isn't there or near there yet. Keep it up though guys, I hope to hear something new or a resubmission from you two.

NO