*NO* Sonic Colors 'Don't Be a Crepe'

DragonAvenger

Game: Sonic Colors (Wii)

Title: Don't Be a Crepe

Sources: Planet Wisp (Area), Planet Wisp (Act 3), Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2)

Composers: Kenichi Tokoi, Tomoya Ohtani, Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Nanba, Hideaki Kobayashi

Link:

Metal Harbor section 0:19 is used in a minor scale at 1:07 in the remix on the synth lead. This is very much a Planet Wisp remix otherwise.

The song was a struggle because I was trying something new again in the field of electronica. Trying to make large, energetic and exciting electronica with intense, hard-hitting drums. I also sampled vocals from The Beatles song "Golden Slumbers" but I edited it and used it so sparingly that it shouldn't be an issue. (Vampire's Kiss has much more vocal usage in comparison). I wanted to sample "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" but there was no vocal only tracks available, and the part I wanted to use had guitar over it.

This will be part of the Sonic chapter of a personal remix album "I'm working on", which will have about 5 songs from each game and split up into chapters. You can probably post this early since it's already public and was part of SuperiorX's Sonic Zone Remix Compo. I'm really excited about the solo album, and it should be quite large, but in the meantime I need to finish other project obligations.

The title is in reference to the brackets of the SZRC, there's a Lizard bracket and a Pancake bracket.

---------

- wisp

• 1 month later...

As soon as that piano came in, I thought this was an interesting approach. That said, this mixing sounds... not so good once more stuff faded in at :06. Cluttered garbage from :12-:38, if I may say so. :lol: Not sure how the everything got mixed in such a messy way, with a lot of shrill synths and just a very lossy sound. I'd LOVE for someone to explain in too much detail how exactly this is messed up and how to approach fixing it. As is, this is jacked.

Not sure about the Beatles sampling. It's not a completely horrible addition, though I personally felt it was lame except for the 1:36 usage (that was cool). We also don't want to be sued by the various estates of the Beatles. :lol:

Too bad, the arrangement is definitely strong, but the production is equally weak in the opposite direction. Take another pass at the balance and EQ and send it on back, Brandon; this is strong otherwise!

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the improved version, and overall the arrangement is pretty interesting. I'm not picking up on the Metal Harbor sections as much as the Wisp stuff, but there's still plenty in there regardless (I'll admit to being little tired as well).

I'm not really a fan of some of the mechanical background noises, and while I think it was done for contrast, I don't really feel it's working well here. Aside from that I'd say some sections are a bit crowded in the mid-ranges, but everything was still clear.

YES*changed below*

I really wasn't feeling this much (listening to the updated version). The drums were very mechanical and plodding, and some of the regular instruments were rigid and dry. The mixing is fairly cluttered in the most busy sections, and I think the less important elements need to be shoved more in the background in situations like that. Everything is vying for attention at the same time. No offense, but the song sounded like it was made quickly and rushed off. There's a lot more you can do to balance out the levels, humanize the parts, and generally polish the song.

NO (resubmit)

I really wasn't feeling this much (listening to the updated version). The drums were very mechanical and plodding, and some of the regular instruments were rigid and dry. The mixing is fairly cluttered in the most busy sections, and I think the less important elements need to be shoved more in the background in situations like that. Everything is vying for attention at the same time. No offense, but the song sounded like it was made quickly and rushed off. There's a lot more you can do to balance out the levels, humanize the parts, and generally polish the song.

That.

I'm also still a NO on the revised version. Let's not get hasty about the edits it needs to be a fully-formed song sans the Beatles sampling.

Listened again with Vinnie's comments in mind, and I'm seeing what he's saying. The arrangement is definitely good, but I'll agree that the mechanical parts, along with the somewhat uninspired drumwriting, are dragging this down moreso than I thought in my first listen-through. Considering what I've heard from you before, I know you can bring this up to the level it needs to be, and hope you do so for us.

NO (resubmit)