*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'AfterEffect' *FT*

GrayLightning

Like his last submissions, he claims that he's not getting the automated reply/auto rejection or anything from djp.

-----------------------------

Hi, DJP and new judges! GØ£ÐËÑ T€ÅR§ is back for another try, and be assured that this isn't vocal (http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56518). I'd like to apologize for that 3 Days tune, since it was really a judges-input-only request and shouldn't have been submitted to that infamous queueing line. You hit the nail on the head that me singing is downright ugly, but I still stand by the instrumentals for it (and thank you DJP for giving me promise), so no hard feelings. This mix, I tell you, is more serious.

I've spent several on-and-off months on this one too, and I believe it should meet your standards (and surely you'll tell me otherwise). Again based on Majora's Mask, I'm calling this one "AfterEffect", pretty much because it's based on the End Credits theme (I guess the beginning part of it, which I thought was catchy), with a couple of other tunes in there, and because it's my rendition of what really happened when the people of Termina realized they were saved. The first half of it is sort of orchestrated, and then the rest is dance/techno whatever. Hopefully I did both genres good...and now the details, in it's old cut-and-paste fashion:

Contact Info

Your ReMixer name: GØ£ÐËÑ T€ÅR§ (or just do initials: GT)

Your real name: Chris Narvali

Your email address: cnarvali@hotmail.com

Your website: http://goldentears.x3fusion.com

Your userid: 11244

ReMix Info

Name of game ReMixed: Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: The Last Hours (with brief parts of Evan's Solo blended in) as intro, then it's pure End Credits (first section of it, I guess)

Additional information about game: Nintendo 64, Koji Kondo (Ocarina Of Time?)

Link to the original soundtrack: (Liontamer's work :) ) http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozmmusf.rar - 124 "Final Hours", 230 "Evan's Piano Solo", 253 "Staff Roll"

Your own comments about the mix: (All popular section, done and done!)

I hope you enjoy it this time!

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozmmusf.rar - 124 "Final Hours", 230 "Evan's Piano Solo" & 253 "Staff Roll"

Thanks for laying out the source tunes in my style. Things opened up arranging "Final Hours" though I didn't really make the connection until :39. Immediately starting out, the atmosphere was somewhat dull and lo-fi; the sounds tended to mud together in the low-end, and the lead string was somewhat flat, IMO. Production issues aside, I liked the buildup from :59-1:02.

1:02-1:07 was a non sequitur transition idea. Not that you should scrap it, I just couldn't tell what it was supposed to be. I loved the vibe at 1:16; the writing was really cool and has some good energy in principle, even though the instrumentation was flat once again. Again though, everything's still bleeding into each other in the soundfield. Some odd stuff though after 1:49, seemed like a whole host of notes were wrong, and the timing was getting sloppy from 2:02-2:13. Yeesh, this track fell apart pretty fucking fast.

Ugliness continues all the way until 2:53 switches the genre entirely to some loud beats and a generic electrosynth. Strange move to be sure. Some lame beats joined in at 3:29, and I can hear a very light e-piano until 3:42 where the notes were all wrong as well, and didn't work in conjunction with the lead.

Finally switched to a new section at 4:07 that's decidedly more coherent, though the instrumentation was all very basic and didn't have a good texture at all. Pretty disappointed in this. It went from at least decent/promising orchestration ideas to haphazard orchestration, followed by this very barebones and basic electronic stuff.

The presentation overall was very incoherent and disjointed and had a lot of problematic writing. The atmosphere was exceedingly dull, which limited any enjoyment. Needs a ton of work, bro. I'd suggest scrapping it and moving onto the next work. Keep practicing and making substantial use of the ReMixing and Works forums to keep improving and get more feedback.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like you applied the same amount of reverb on all of the squidfont channels. That's a no no, I say. You need to apply the right amount of effect to at least different groups of sounds separately, in order to bring out the better qualities of each of your samples. You didn't do that here, and that's why it doesn't sound good. There's no attention paid to balance; everything sounds cavernous and bleeds together.

The dance section...I don't know what happened there. It was a bad compostion choice, and was executed poorly. The same cavernous reverb and bad balance between instruments, along with a boring arrangement, completely killed it.

Back to the drawing board.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I love the way you gave the string plucks that "Alien" sound in the build up to 1:06. The clock ticking was an interesting touch to bring in the orchestra. You can tell right away that this is really heavily reverbed. It sounds so far away and dull. You need to bring those instruments forward. As Darke said, different levels can give it an auditorium performance feel, while still keeping the up-front and direct feel in tact.

I'm not sure what happened at 2:55 either, it sounds like you tried to do what zircon and Unknown did in their "WhenAllHopeHasFaded" Chrono Trigger mix, by bringing in a dance section, but it's failed miserably here. The reverb has flattened and muddled everything together into one big wall of sound. Nothing is clear. The beat sounds just awful. You really need to give this one a makeover in regards to the reverb.

There's not much else to say after that. The arrangement was ok in sections, but it was sparse and all over the place in other sections. After such a promising intro, I have no idea what gave you the idea to turn it into a drowning-with-reverb dance mix.

NO