Original Decision

ReMixer name : Night Garden

Email adress :

User ID on OCR forums : 29775

Submission Information

Name of game arranged : Final Fantasy 7

Name of individual song arranged : Farm Boy

Composer : Nobuo Uematsu

Comments : Almost three years after I sent the first submission of this remix, I finally found some time to try to work on the valuable pieces of advice you gave me at that time (by the way, THANK YOU !!). So, to sum up, here are the main things that had to be corrected/improved, and what I did (or did not) consequently :

1/ The strings sound fake

YES !! I couldn't agree more... That's why I've just deleted them. Instead, I have made a new intro with acoustic guitars and an ocarina (which gave me the opportunity to learn how to play it !). The strings in the middle have also been deleted, and replaced with the ocarina and an electric guitar.

2/ The backing track is too constant / Lack of variation

Instead of bringing the two backing guitar tracks together right after the intro, I only put one at first, and brought the second one on the second part. However, I've decided to change neither the rhythm nor the lead guitar part, because I think it would be contrary to the "indie rock" style I want the remix to have. Personal choice ! But to compensate, I've added some new guitar riff near the end.

3/ The production is sort of muted

Indeed ! I've increased the high-frequencies to make it clearer.

4/ Fadeout at the end

... no more fadeout ! And some kind of outro with a few voices.

5/ The lead guitar slightly out of tune

Well, that may be the only point where I do not agree. I tune each guitar before recording. Plus I have checked on a pitch graphic (don't know how to call that exactly in English, sorry !), and it's not out of tune at all.

I sincerely hope that you will notice and (why not) appreciate the changes. If not, once again, please tell what's still wrong, so I can work on that in three years ! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, resubmission after 3 years? Very cool to see you take all that criticism from the last judgment to heart and try to improve your track :-)

I love your approach here, indie rock is definitely a style we don't see very often, but I think you picked a great source to adapt into that genre. Your performances are really solid and there's a ton of variety going on. It's a very lively arrangement that traverses a great deal of territory. It feels like you utilize just about every type of guitar out there at some point in the mix, but nothing ever feels shoehorned in or out of place. I've got no issue with the arrangement.

Your overall mastering is really hollow though, it feels like you clipped out nearly all the bass frequencies and boosted the mids/highs way too much. I can see how some of this may have been an intentional aesthetic choice, but it feels overdone here.

In addition, the drum kit feels imbalanced; the kick is barely audible but some of the auxiliary percussion, particularly the cymbals/hats, feel sharp and piercing, especially on headphones. I think you need to do some more tweaking to the balance on your drums so that they sit better with the rest of the mix.

I absolutely adore this arrangement and I hope that, if the other judges agree with my above critiques, it doesn't take you 3 more years to resubmit! :-) I'll be keeping this on my playlist either way but I think this needs some more love before it's ready for mixposting.

NO (resubmit!!)

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the production crits, I feel that the arrangement could be personalized a bit more with extra harmonies. I think the stuff at the end with the additional harmonies was really nice, so having that sort of expansion a little more throughout the track would be great.

I really enjoyed the style, and I definitely think this has the potential to get on the front page, just polish it up a bit more!

No, please resubmit