*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Daughter of Zeal' *RESUB*

djpretzel

LT Edit - Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45873

System: Super Nintendo

Game: Chrono Trigger

Theme: Schala's Theme

Title: Daughter of Zeal

Year: 2005

Remixer: JD Harding

E-mail: jd_harding@comcast.net

Comments: Another take on Schala's theme. The intro is similar to other remixes I've done, but the rest is mostly original.

dont we vote on this remix every year?

still sounds like generic trance that just happens to have schala over it. The foundation of the song isnt bad..definitely generic and not terribly creative, but it's not bad.

but really schala is just slapped on. playing the melody at double speed doesnt sound...good. but that's just subjective.

It's time to expand your bag of tricks.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Sara's Theme" (ct-3-06.spc)

I'm not as critical of the approach per se, as it adapts Schala's Theme to trance, as is the purpose, but this still wasn't strong.

For the genre, this is a fairly generic adaptation and could use some more unique ideas. Though I don't think it's terrible from a compositional standpoint, it's not distinctive and not very creative with the rearrangement.

I liked the change provided by the piano and pads at 1:23 followed by the light synth joining in at 1:35 to change up the atmosphere.

The panning choices alone are really confusing and a complete dealbreaker, especially listening on headphones as I do for all of the subs. The panning is just WAY too pronounced. Considering one of the cords of my headphones is on the fritz, I honestly thought my headphones were messing up at first. On top of that, the whole track sounds muddy. Looking forward to your next sub, but sorry bro, this is just not there at all.

NO

ugh, the stereo effect on those synths in the beginning is awful. My ears feel all off-balance. Please for the love of God, balance the synths out from left to right so I don't get a headache when I listen to this.

You have clipping from the point the filtered synth comes in at 0:48 right up and onwards, mostly in the right channel.

I don't have much to say beyond that, this can't possibly be expected to pass until the stereo issues are fixed, this just isn't pleasant to listen to at all. It sounds like generic trance as Vig said.

NO

I liked your first version of this. I have to say some aspects of this are an improvement. I think making things faster and changing up the instruments was a good choice. But WTF at the production. The stereo stuff is totally screwed up, you've got clipping, lots of mud.. your earlier stuff sounded better than this, I don't know what's going on here. The actual synths are pretty cool but it's hard to hear them considering how weird this sounds to me.

All things considered I don't think the arrangement here is terrible. If the production was REALLY tightened up I would say this would be pretty damn cool. As is.. no way.

NO