OCR02732 - *YES* Kid Chameleon 'stands like a statue, becomes part of the machine' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Resub

Original Decision

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name - Sir Jordanius

Your real name - Jordan Etienne

Your website - http://tinyurl.com/7pa9eo8

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile - http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=38652

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Kid Chameleon

Name of arrangement - "stands like a statue, becomes part of the machine"

Name of individual song(s) arranged *see below*

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - SEGA genesis, Nu Romantic Productions (Mark Miller?)

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/misc/ost/kid-chameleon-ost/ or

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

source breakdown:

Devil's Marsh -

(main source)

Fantasy -

(bridge/omgdancebreak)

Cave Area -

(outro countermelody)

Ice/Title -

(outro countermoleday)

stopwatch:

0:00-0:32 original buildup (besides the obvious nod to mj)

0:33-1:06 "Devil's MArsh" melody broken up

1:07-1:40 "Devil's MArsh" changed some chords and phrasings a bit here

1:41-1:58 "Devil's Marsh" main theme

1:59-2:13 "Devil's Marsh" bass line continues, random solo on top

02:14-3:54 "Fantasy" starts with just variations on the chords, then the melody theme builds up

3:55-4:27 original buildup, siren part mimics the drill/blaster thingy from "Devil's Marsh," also "Main Theme" is hidden in here... somewhere. behind all the ninjas.

4:28-5:34 "Devil's Marsh" in the foreground, "Cave" and "Main theme" in the background as the counter-melody (hard panned)

5:35- "Cave" and "Main" melodies combined

Thought Process:

1. Huge thanks to Benjamin Briggs for his "Trash FM" arrangement, and an email from DrumJ8; they inspired me to get offamahbutt and work on this again.

(as well as everyone else in the WIP forums that helped me realize that my Compression Obsession and Timing Directions would sometimes incorrectly bisect the Erection).

2. HUGE WARNING: the intro (and outro) are purposefully low in volume, so in order to protect your speakers please don't make the mistake of raising your volume like a friend of mine did, because when the beat kicks in, it kicks in.

3. Long story made short, the title is usually the last thing I do with a song, and when I make revisions to songs I often change the title to reflect whatever idea the song seems to represent. this time, however, I kept the title from the second wip, I re-watched Tommy the film, and then I worked on making this revision mimic the importance of utilizing all senses as well as adapting and "camouflaging" with the situations like in Kid Chameleon and Tommy (hence the title). so essentially, this mix subjugates the complex confectionery secrets of humanity that have incriminated the influx of emergence amongst the modern youth's tell-tale desires for quantum nutritonal degradation of busty asspie boogie boogie shukkudfjaifojiiorwe adbjklajioewjgifdbljeilrjgio blah blah blah fuck it. you'll get what i mean when you listen to it. =/

peace

jordan

------------------------------------------

LT Edit (8/14): In May, I received an updated version (tweaks, no dramatic changes) along with a new set of comments. I've organized them a bit, corrected some song names, but this replaces the original sub comments:

W!SE the all.E - stands like a statue, becomes part of the machine

(Kid Chameleon, Sega Genesis, Nu Romantic Productions, Mark Miller)

Sources:

- "Devil's Marsh I" (main)

- "Fantasy" (bridge/dance section)

- "Devil's Marsh II" (spaz section)

- "Cave Area" (cameo in background)

- "Ice Area/Main Theme" (outro)

Source Breakdown:

0:00-0:33 = original noodling

0:34-1:05 = "Devil's Marsh" chopped up + original noodling

1:06-1:39 = "Devil's Marsh" embellished and expanded

1:40-2:12 = "Devil's Marsh"

2:13-2:46 = "Fantasy" chord progression embellished

2:47-3:52 = "Fantasy"

3:53-4:10 = original noodling

4:11-4:27 = "Devil's Marsh II" siren

= "Cave," subtly in the background played on whistle synth

4:28-4:35 = "Devil's Marsh" elaborated

4:36-5:34 = "Devil's Marsh" foreground, "Ice Area/Main Theme" background

5:35-5:40 = "Ice Area"

5:40-6:00 = noodling

Sample List (in order of appearance):

1. Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean"

2. Kid Chameleon in-game SFX

3. Julien Neel (Trudbol A Cappella) - "In My Life" (The Beatles)

4. Tommy (1975) trailer

5. T-Pain ft. Chris Brown - "Freeze"

6. Hoyt Curtin - "Meet the Flintstones"

7. Harry Connick Jr. - "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead"

8. Duke Ellington - "I Got It Bad (and That Ain't Good)"

9. Michael Bublé - "Feeling Good"

10. Charlie Parker - "Summertime"

11. Richard Wagner - "Ride of the Valkyries"

12. Soul II Soul - "Back to Life"

13. Duke Ellington - "Rhapsody in Blue"

14. Flying Lotus - "Do the Astral Plane"

15. Daft Punk - "Face to Face"

16. The Fresh Beat Band - "Great Day"

17. King Kuula - "Crystal Caves"

18. Shuki Levy - "Inspector Gadget Theme"

19. Daft Punk - "Crescendolls"

20. Hoagy Carmichael - "Yabba-Dabba-Dabba-Dabba-Doo"

21. Julius Fucik - "Entry of the Gladiators"

22. Living Colour - "What's Your Favorite Color?"

23. An Endless Sporadic - "Impulse"

24. An Endless Sporadic - "The Adventures of Jabubu"

Inspiration:

I started working on this arrangement way back in 2008 when I intended to make an album of remixes from my favorite video games, but since then that specific project has unfortunately been undergoing the Dr. Dre Detox treatment. Throughout the years, this mix has had several iterations, and after a while I just tossed it aside altogether (every now and then I'd resub it to the judges and a few weeks later resubmit a different version, because I just kept on getting dissatisfied with the results). After hearing Benjamin Briggs' "Trash FM" and receiving an email from DrumJ8, I finally had enough motivation to focus on making a "Mord-Fustang-meets-Daft-Punk-meets-Ratatat" type arrangement that I could be pleased with. Long story short, this is the precise song (both OCR-wise and personal music-wise) that left a benchmark in my musical pursuits by making me realize the grave news that I suffer from the terrible, terrible disease known as perfectionism. T_T Here's to hoping it paid off!

Peace,

Jordan

Edited by djpretzel
added new submission comments

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was digging this the first time around, but this new version is definitely sounding a lot more polished. really glad now that this was reworked a bit. awesome stuff, super creative as per your usual. and maybe I'm tripping, but there are some pretty subtle Sonic references all over this thing right? I thought it was me until the carnival night riff caught me near the end of the song. ;) I'm gonna have to listen to this one some more.

YES

Edited by halc

• 9 months later...

I was worried when I saw that sampling list in the updated comments, but it's mostly speech samples.

Loved the arrangement before, and this only tightens the screws and removes the grating production, all without sacrificing any of its character. Great work by Jordan (just co-signing after the fact)! He holds his mixes often, but they're always worth the wait. :-)

YES