*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Super Sonic Fireballz'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name: Magellanic

Your real name: Liam Charalambous

Your userid: 45748

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic & Knuckles

Name of arrangement: Super Sonic Fireballz

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Lava Reef Zone Act 1

Comments: I was rather gutted at being knocked out of the Sonic competition when I found out that in the next round I would be mixing Lava Reef Zone. Its a level that I wasn't really familiar with before the compo but when I heard it I just HAD to make a heavy rock mix of it. I love the melody and the motif that runs throughout just sticks in your head and gets you dancin' in your chair. I almost ended up emphasizing the latin feel but decided to keep it strictly in the confines of heavy rock. Well, almost. There is a smattering of chiptune. Whilst doing this mix I discovered the joy of famitracker.

The harmonic progression is dead simple but if I've achieved nothing else, I've managed to get what was in my head, into my daw and into mp3 format for other people to hear.

The arrangement is on the conservative side for OCR, but hopefully there is enough personalisation. Rozovian (Just love 'im) couldn't make his mind up on it so, who better to judge than the lovely panel?! Even if the mix falls before the mighty joojcat I hope that you guys can at least enjoy 3 minutes of some heavy rockin' Sonic coz' I damn well enjoyed making it :)

00:00 - 00:07: Original

00:08 - 00:14: Variation of Source B section

00:15 - 00:21: Original, uses Source Main Theme chords

00:22 - 00:28: Source Main Theme

00:29 - 00:35: Original based off Source Main Theme

00:36 - 00:42: Source Intro variation as transition

00:43 - 00:50: Source Main Theme

00:51 - 00:56: Original based on Source Main theme

00:57 - 01:10: Source B section with variation/embellishment

01:11 - 01:39: Original breakdown section

01:40 - 01:46: Source Main Theme

01:47 - 01:54: Original transition using Source Theme chords

01:55 - 02:00: Main source Intro

02:01 - 02:14: Original melody/solo based on Source Main Theme

02:15 - 02:21: Source Intro

02:22 - 02:43: Original solo, Source Main Theme Chords

02:44 - End: Source B section embellishment

1:30 of Original and 1:34 of Source....roughly. Hope that helps some. Thank you for listening and thank you again for the awesome feedback.

• 1 month later...

Pretty fun mix you've got here, and I'd say that it easily fits the personalization requirements for OCR. If anything, I'd look into altering some of the backing areas that are playing the same chords over and over. Maybe some rhythmic variation or some different harmonies to add something to it.

My big issue overall is with the balance/mixing of the sounds. A lot of places feel very muddy, and it's hard to make out the parts clearly at all. A lot of the parts are sharing the same note range and are competing for attention. 0:50 is a good example of this between the guitar and synth part that comes in, and then later at 1:04. Those are just the first couple times, but this happens fairly often. I'll also note it's a little better on headphones, but it definitely needs some finesse. I'd nix the synth at 1:53; it's really doesn't seem to fit in well at all and only serves to clutter things more, in my opinion.

I'd say this is certainly a big step in the right direction, and you've got a really solid base here, but things definitely need to be cleaned up and the clarity needs to be opened up. Hopefully another judge will have some advice on how to approach this. Good luck!

NO (resubmit, please)

Hey Magellanic, good to see you submitting!

I like the style adaption, and the arrangement. Good stuff there. The production has some notable problems however. The biggest issue is a distinct lack of bass presence in your mix. As a result, your frequency spectrum isn't wide enough, and most of the instrumentation is taking up the same space, muddying up your mix. If you just brought out the bass more in your mix, it would make your mixing much much easier and you wouldn't have everything fighting for the same frequency range.

Basically, bring out the bass presence in your track, and sort out EQ on your Rhythms and leads so they aren't clashing with each other in the frequency spectrum. Atm, its quite a large dealbreaker and I know that you have the potential to get the production passed the panel! Again, nice work with the arrangement (and awesome source tune :)) but I can't pass this as it is. Keep on working at this one and send it back bro!

NO (resub)

Gotta co-sign with the mixing critiques from above, but I'd also like to add that there's some sloppiness in the sequencing where not everything seems to be lining up. I think you would be well-off doing another take of your guitar solos, they just don't sound quite as confident and polished as they need to be.

In addition, that Gameboy-style chip synth just doesn't sound very good to me. I'm not sure how else to put it, I think a chiptune synth could work but that particular sample you're using just does not work for me. The sequencing on some of the synth solos could use a bit of personality too - pitch bends, portamento, vibrato... anything so that it's not just notes being played completely staccato on every note.

Lots of work that you could do to bring this one up to par. Not a bad track, reminds me of something Level 99 would do... just needs another coat of polish and some more lively synth lines and more polished performances.

NO (resub!)