Remix is attached to this mail.

Contact Info:

Remixer Name: The Underclocked

Email: Constantine.Adams@gmail.com

Remix Info:

Game Remixed: Chrono Trigger

Original Name of song remixed: Robo Team Johnny

Remix Title: Johnny's Hangout

Comments: Hello, My goal is to "underclock" game music. Ive taken games from post 8-bit Nintendo consoles (n64, PlayStation, snes, ect) and recomposed tracks from those systems with 8-bit Nintendo synthesisers. Songs usually start off with similar melody from the game, and then I add my own melodies later on. hope you will accept my track, and hopefully tracks in the near future! thanks!

.Coz

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Robo Gang Johnny" (ct-2-07.spc)

Believe me, I be DOWN with the chiptunes and chiptune style arrangements. /slash, RushJet1, virt, smh, they're all doing solid stuff for example.

But this...is too simple. The source tune is almost too boring to allow this to work very long. Man, at :46 when you try to change some of the progression, it just sounds like some glaring wrong notes in there in a few spots.

And 1:58 for any track is gonna be very underdeveloped. Anyway, just cuz it's 8-bit style doesn't mean you skimp out on making this a developed arrangement. You had that section where you changed the notes a bit, and then repeated the first section at 1:24. Nah, that's lay-zee. For an actual in-game NES tune, 1:24-long would be a nice long track. But if the standards here were that simple, we'd have a TON of chiptunes here.

In terms of the instrumentation, please do more to make the most of your 4 parts. A lot more could be going on here, even for such a simple/straightforward track. Just check out Tombs & Treasure or one of the later Megamans or whathaveyou. More layering or variation or anything could make this a more engaging listen. Hell, even consider breaking it off with a few extra channels like some of the expanded NEStunes did. VRC6 is your friend.

In any case, if you're down with sending in some more thorough efforts in the future, I definitely look forward to them. We need more people doing what you're doing in the game arrangement community. Just make sure you're doing it really well. Well, I'm off to listen to some Madara...

NO

Pretty cool chiptune here. But even for being made well, it's way too close to the source material to be considered for passing. Most of the main sections sound like they're note for note transcriptions.

Larry's said most of what I want to say. It's just important to make sure you make the mix stand out as your mix in terms of the arrangement, regardless of the style. A conversion to chiptune is good, but for OCR it needs to show creativity and uniqueness in the arrangement beyond adding a couple of sections that play with the theme a little.

NO

Larry/TO are on the mark here. We're receptive to chiptunes but they really have to be above the bar, not just simple conversions to 8bit. For what it's worth, this is a good translation/conversion but on the arrangement front it just doesn't add a whole lot; though I will say the things you DID do to the melody/harmony were pretty cool.

NO

No matter what you do, you gotta make sure your arrangement is inventive and interpretive. Yes, NEStunes are cool, but this is still overclocked remix, and we still value arrangement very highly. There's a LOT you can do with just the 2A03 chip; your conversion, while nice, doesn't really push the boundaries.

Keep in mind that nobody here is saying NO to your mix because it sounds like an NES; I'm sure all of us enjoy chiptunes from that console, and I've personally tried my hand and making some NSFs; it's a lot of fun, and it's a great soundscape to work with. But arrangement is important.

Hope to see more from you soon.

NO