Question on Medley Rule for Pipe Organ Remix

Zorrakh

I believe this is the right forum to post this, but if not I apologize in advance.

Anyways, I'm working on a pipe organ remix and I had a quick question regarding the medley rule:

In the Baroque Era, many organ pieces were paired together, like Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, and I wanted to do something similar by having two separate pieces which are paired much like a pair of pipe organ pieces from the Baroque Era, with one source track in each piece. Would that be breaking the medley rule, or since that was how it was traditionally done if it would not be breaking the medley rule.

Thanks in advance. :)

There isn't actually a rule against medleys; there's a rule against medleys with poor transitions.

Not entirely correct. The submissions standards states:

Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

This refers to multiple-source submissions. A two-piece song from a single source wouldn't count as a medley anyway.

I'm not a judge, and this could prob use a judge's voice on it, but I think it's possible to do what you're suggesting. If it's a two-piece song, it's not really a medley, so different rules may apply. Strong focus and direction does still apply, tho.

SiriusBeatz: The problem is that there wouldn't be any transition between the two pieces because they would be two separate pieces; after the first one ends the next one starts.

Nase: Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I'm not wanting to intentially break the rule to get away with something. I actually see it as more of a tradition than anything else, really, since the pairing of pieces (or, as in the case of symphonies, concertos, etc., grouping of pieces) goes back even as far as the Renaissance.

Rozovian: That's exactly what I'm wondering. It technically wouldn't be called a medley, but it doesn't neccessarily mean it's has to be two completely separate remixes with different entries in the submission (if I even get that far :smile:).

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Would it be best to contact a judge via PM, or is there something else I should do to get an official answer?