Noisia's DmC Soundtrack

Kanohi

I would just like to say that getting Noisia for the DmC OST was a ballsy move and I think it totally payed off. Possibly some of my favorite work by Noisia ever, and it hits all ranges from heavy and hard-hitting all the way to ambient.

Anybody else a fan?

not going to pretend that dubstep doesn't suck

Considering Noisia is not a Dubstep artist and 90% of the soundtrack isn't Dubstep, I don't see how this is relevant.

Also what Flex said. if you don't like it, there are constructive ways to go about stating it.

Flex: I'm about halfway through listening at the moment, their sound-design just seems to get more and more incredible with each passing release.

when you made this thread I searched for "noisia dmc" and this is the first thing I found

maybe I've been misled as to what dubstep actually is so maybe I'll go edit my post to say "music that's made out of the sound of a washing machine being thrown into another washing machine"

Washing machine on washing machine relations should not be discouraged. This is 2013, our ancestors fought and died so that washing machines would have the right to smash together like that.

when you made this thread I searched for "noisia dmc" and this is the first thing I found

maybe I've been misled as to what dubstep actually is so maybe I'll go edit my post to say "music that's made out of the sound of a washing machine being thrown into another washing machine"

Saying Noisia is a Dubstep artist is like saying Muse is a Dubstep artist. Yes they made a song or two that can be considered in the genre, but the majority of their works don't fall anywhere near the category.

Out of 36 tracks on the album, only 4 could be regarded as Dubstep and personally I think only 2 of those 4 truly do qualify. I don't mind if people don't like it, but being outright disrespectful to an incredible branch of music makes me sad. The sound-design in this album is far beyond what most people are capable of and it really evokes feelings that melodies can't accomplish by themselves.

I know it's not for everybody, but there are 32 other tracks that aren't Dubstep, I think that's worth giving it a chance instead of dismissing the whole thing right? lol

Saying Noisia is a Dubstep artist is like saying Muse is a Dubstep artist. Yes they made a song or two that can be considered in the genre, but the majority of their works don't fall anywhere near the category.

Yea, but whereas Muse' other music isn't anything similar to dubstep, a lot of the other stuff I've been listening to by Noisia (particularly the stuff for DMC) to try and broaden my view of them is basically just as noisy and irritating as the few tracks that I can guess can definitively be classified as dubstep.

I'm just not a fan of music that tries to pass off noise as having the same artistic merit as actual music. If there are any examples of Noisia making music that sounds like music in a classical sense, then I'm all ears, but at this point I've been unsuccessful in finding anything.

I'm just not a fan of music that tries to pass off noise as having the same artistic merit as actual music.

All music is just noise that we trained ourselves to give merit to.

I like this music and I kinda see how it fits with the new image.. but I'd rather just listen to this outside the game.

I disagree entirely.

Music evolved through the ages as a science just as much as an art.

Chords, scales, time signatures and the like certainly are scientifically based, even if they weren't originally discovered that way. But preference in arrangement, and the sounds actually coming out of instruments within those bounds of music are ABSOLUTELY preference and conditioning. Some people love distortion guitars. Some people hate them. There's no right or wrong about it. The same is true on a larger scale if you apply it to arrangements or even genres. If a composition is musically incorrect that's one thing. However, if it's not (and just about all good dance music, dubstep or otherwise, is) then you really can't be like 'it's not musical enough for my tastes.' You can say you don't like it, but other than that there's nothing for you to objectively stand on without coming off as ignorant.

For reference: here is dubstep played on piano. Clearly not compositionally flawed.

I disagree entirely.

Music evolved through the ages as a science just as much as an art.

The art of performing and perfecting performance and composition is indeed a very logical and sensible art, but the fact is like everything we hear is just noise. Simply because we produce and organize it doesn't make it not so. No disrespect to music, lol. I only brought that up because if one genre is simply "noise" then all others might just as easily be considered noise. Unlike with language, I don't think there is an innate capacity to "understand" music. And while music clearly revolves around ordered and structured laws, music still just consists of noises we subjectively prefer, arrange, and make sense of. You might argue there are aspects that appeal to our "reptilian brains" so to speak (and thus exist in nature) but these things (like rhythm) are just a fraction of what makes up our understanding of music at this point in time.

All music is just noise that we trained ourselves to give merit to.

I'm not sure what I feel about your statement, but I do see what you're getting at.

Bleck: Kat's Theme (http://youtu.be/2faN2zh0M00), if you're still looking for music in the classical sense as to what Noisia made for DmC. Past that, what I can say is that the members of Noisia are talented musicians with a ton of knowledge and background. They can make melodies and write 'traditional' music but their style revolves around something entirely different.

You may call it 'passing off noise as having the same artistic value as actual music', but who's to say what defines "actual" music? This is texture-based music. They literally design and create new instruments whenever they make music, it's a different musical art altogether. Just because wine isn't thirst-quenching like water doesn't mean wine isn't also a liquid and a beverage, it's just one for a different purpose.

What I'm saying is that this noise is very much purposed. The sounds are visceral at heart, but organised. As I've said, it's not for everybody, but it is for some people (such as me).

the fact is like everything we hear is just noise.

This is a stupid simplification. The definition of noise tends to vary, but the idea that "noise" is synonymous with "sound" is one that only makes sense if you don't really know anything about any of the many contexts in which the word noise would be used.